collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 308
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Heidfeld impressed with KERS  (Read 2738 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Heidfeld impressed with KERS
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
Nick Heidfeld says he is looking forward to the deployment of KERS technology next year.

''I can already notice a difference'' he says.

The German sampled BMW Sauber's early running version of the system in the famously aesthetically-challenged interim car this week.

"There are still many things to sort out," Heidfeld is quoted as saying by the Cologne newspaper Express, "but when I press the (boost) button, I can already notice a difference. It should be very helpful."

It is believed that BMW's KERS system is already delivering bursts of additional 80 horse power. 

It is clear, however, that development of the new technology still has some way to go, given the 'high voltage' warnings on the bodywork of many of the teams' test cars this week.

Mechanics, meanwhile, can frequently be seen wearing elbow-length insulated gloves in the pits, ostensibly because of the ongoing risk of electric shock.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Heidfeld impressed with KERS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »
The 'high voltage' signs are a legal requirement.  Not having them would be a breach of health and safety law in many countries.

TheStig

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »
This is due too an earthing problem,and all the teams will find this as static elecricity is built up until it is released by the old mechanic who touches the car!...when of course the energy passes through him to ground.

In my view the teams have got to isolate the charge as it could be a disaster when re-fuelling .when the rig comes into contact with the car

TheStig

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »
lightening rods on F1 cars,I hope not :o
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:18:30 PM »
It sounds like they'll have to install the same style grounding (earthing) contacts in the garages that they have in the pit box. Hopefully that will help the static problem.

I wonder what will happen the first time a mechanic gets careless in the middle of some frenzied work during a quali session.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »
What happens if it doesn't stop in the pits.  You can't have marshals running to rescue a driver and worried about being the first one to touch the car in case they get zapped.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »
Thats a good possibility that never occured to me.
Maybe Bernie could add some nre duties to his
job,Official Car Grounder
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle