collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 273
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2nd F1 Bloggers and Friends Karting Competition  (Read 25945 times)

Offline Wizzo

Re: 2nd F1 Bloggers and Friends Karting Competition
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »
OK change of plan, Neil is travelling up by train because I am spending the day at the Autosport show trying to keep Deano off the glamour girls there.

If possible it would be worth putting together some sort of time table so people would know roughly where to find us at anytime. Just a thought.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
Make sure you get some snaps of the girls, er I mean cars wiz. See you lot on Saturday.

Neil.P :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 10:37:05 PM »
OK change of plan, Neil is travelling up by train because I am spending the day at the Autosport show trying to keep Deano off the glamour girls there.

If possible it would be worth putting together some sort of time table so people would know roughly where to find us at anytime. Just a thought.

I'm just going to be hanging out at the Bullring and area taking in the sites of beautiful downtown Birmingham while trying not to get drunk...anyone who is around before 5pm can leave a message at the hotel that they are around and I'll call them when I check for messages - fairly often.  I'll pm my mobile to you guys, but be warned if you call it, you're calling a Swiss number, so it's better to text me.

Who's Deano?  :DntKnw:  :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2010, 10:47:49 PM »
One of the Wizzo clan
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
 I thought it was just Mr., Mrs and Toby...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »
Who's coming Ali?  Are some from sidepodcast joining us again?  Steven Roy?  That Andy guy? {ScottyD - 6 posts}

For confidentiality reasons, I'd prefer not to name names, but I can confirm some people from Sidepodcast will be coming.

Steven Roy hasn't told me he's coming, but it's now possible to last-minute book through Teamworks' site (via the 16/01/2010, 20:00), so I cannot definitively rule him out until the competition starts.

I'm not sure which Andy you are referring to - it doesn't help that the bloke who runs the trackside operations is called Andy as well as at least one of the commenters at Sidepodcast...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Slugger

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
Just to let you all know I'm away from early tomorrow morning so those of you that have my number, call or text me if you want to get hold of me :)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 11:43:34 PM »
Have a great time, Slugger!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »
I'm at the Bullring at my hotel, and since the crummy wireless doesn't make it to my room, I'm stuck using this useless TV internet.  Anyone who makes it earlier than 5pm tomorrow to the area can text me, and we'll meet up. 

Anyone who's going to 'Autosport tomorrow - hope you enjoy it and have some tips for me on what to avoid.  Anyone who's going on Sunday, I'll be there the whole day and watching the live show at 12:30pm.

Offline Ian

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
Hope you all have a great weekend.  :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

david1275

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »
Yes guys, have a great weekend.  :good: :good:

Next year I hope to have the funds to be there myself, and to have lost the two stone required to compete in the karting.  ;)

I can't complain about not getting away as I was at a conference in Whittlebury Hall just beside Silverstone this week. I managed to have a few pints in a rather interesting F1 themed bar in the hotel. They had some real nice memorabilia to look at while you supped your Fosters. Well what else would you drink in an F1 bar??

Offline Dare

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 02:43:11 PM »
Everyone have a good time and enjoy
the racing
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »
Well we sure had a good night.

It was superb to finally put some faces to names and have a good chat. The karting venue was good and very well organised (www.teamworkskarting.com). I had never driven an electric kart before and have to say I was mighty impressed although being an indoor track I thought it was a little more slippery than good old fashioned tarmac.

Seventeen drivers were at the event, with GPWizard being represented by myself, Ali, Slugger, Scott, Neil and Deano. Each driver had to race in 5 heats from various randomly picked grid positions and the top 8 drivers were entered into the Grand Final. The races came fast and hard with little time to rest before you were being pushed to the limit again. ALL GPWizard drivers were excellent and upheld the honor of the site despite some VERY tough competition.

After the heats were run the top 8 drivers were chosen with 3 making it from GPWizard, Slugger, myself and Neil. It was a 12 lap race with the competition at its highest level of the night.

The Grand Final Results (I won't name the other drivers for data protection reasons  ::))

Start Positions               Finish Positions
1.                                1.
2.                                2.
3. Slugger                     3.
4. Wizzo                       4. Slugger
5.                                5.
6.                                6. Neil
7. Neil                          7. Wizzo
8.                                8.

A solid performance from Slugger  :D, a poor one for me  :( and a very good race for Neil who pipped me on the last lap and who now for his efforts faces a two week ban  :DD.

Seriously it was an excellent night of racing and it was great to meet everyone, a BIG thank you goes out to ALi and here Dad for organising the entire event and I hope to see you again real soon. Lets hope a few more members can make it next time even if its only for a beer.

Well done guys.  :good:

Please feel free to add your comments and post your pictures.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
Two week ban ::)

Well done to Ali for organising, and increasing the numbers on last year :good:

Neil.P

Offline Scott

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »
It wasn't near as good as last year...mainly because I didn't win.  But I didn't just not win, I didn't even make it into the final heat.  A little bad luck, a few mistakes, and some serious competition, not the least of which were my GPWiz teammates. 

It was also great to meet Wizzo and Deano, and of course to see Ali, Neil, Slugger and his wife again.  Too bad Wizzo and Deano couldn't stick around for a few drinks afterwards.

As usual, despite the frightening sight of Birmingham nightlife, it was a great weekend - but I'll be glad to be home tomorrow. 

The Autosport Show on the other hand was a disappointment.  The live show was quite lame this year, the F1 car display was poorly laid out (terrible for taking photos - you couldn't even see the back of the Brawn unless you pretended to stand in line for autographs and used a telephoto lens).   There was no Red Bull or Mercedes F1 gear to be found.  There also wasn't an RC car race setup like last year, nor RC stuff to buy (had that on my shopping list).  One highlight was being a passenger in a drifting Caterham 7, which I thoroughly enjoyed (Wiz, I told you Sunday was quieter - I only had to wait 10 minutes in line).  The crowd waiting to hear/see Button was growing way too large already 30min before he was due to arrive, so I gave that a pass.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle