collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 260
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: WRC going Radical  (Read 1936 times)

Offline markfarrell9572

WRC going Radical
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »
Just read yet another well written piece y David Evans on Autosport.com, regarding the WRC. Among  suggestions to spice up events is the proposal that what is currently the end of event super special becomes a series of shoot outs, with the first and second place car going head to head for the event win, the third and fourth going head to head for third, fifth and sixth place cars... etc etc

Surely this is too stupid and iditic to happen?  Even in a championship governed by the FIA.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: WRC going Radical
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:31:25 PM »

I can see how that will increase the attendance at the special stage event, but that hardly seems to be required as most of these stadiums appear pretty full already.  :confused:

Could also ruin the last day of the rally if two cars are ahead of the field with a big gap to 3rd, why will they push and risk an off if both will go to the head to head whether they are in 1st or 2nd ?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 06:11:44 AM »
This is the same sort of idea as NASCAR's "The Chase" or the NHRA,s Countdown to the Championship. Both of which are stupid in my opinion. NASCAR was worried that if the championship was decided with 3 or 4 races to go, fans lost interest. The fact that it discounts the work that teams do before the cut off doesn't seem to bother them. Both series would have different champions in several seasons if the older systems were used. Frankly, to me it makes Jimmy Johnson's wins tainted and worth less than those who did it the season long way. I think this is a reaction to Loeb winning year after year. If you can't beat him over 3 days, maybe you can pip him in a special shootout. Just as stupid.  :stop: :nono:
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:02:01 PM »
This is the same sort of idea as NASCAR's "The Chase" or the NHRA,s Countdown to the Championship. Both of which are stupid in my opinion. NASCAR was worried that if the championship was decided with 3 or 4 races to go, fans lost interest. The fact that it discounts the work that teams do before the cut off doesn't seem to bother them. Both series would have different champions in several seasons if the older systems were used. Frankly, to me it makes Jimmy Johnson's wins tainted and worth less than those who did it the season long way. I think this is a reaction to Loeb winning year after year. If you can't beat him over 3 days, maybe you can pip him in a special shootout. Just as stupid.  :stop: :nono:

In some ways it's sort of silly.  Motor racing used to be about winning a race.  This whole idea of winning a 'season' under any set of rules messes up the whole thing.  Drivers hold back, because consistency is rewarded.

Eliminate the championships, and just award prize money on each race.  The fans get to see something special every time out, rather than a piece of some larger whole.  It works for golf, it works for tennis.  It works for most 'individual' sports.  (I know that autoracing is a team sport.)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
They can have bracket like within 3 minutes of the leader, where they will have a go at win, but they not only have to beat the leader, but also have to manage a certain lead over him to ensure that he win. Its like 4 or 5 driver within the bracket of 3 minutes of the leader. Then they will have a shoot-out, where the leader will have a 10% of the cushion, that is 1.8 second as because all the driver included in the shoot-out is more or less within 180 second of him. So to beat him, any driver have to beat him with 1.8 second advantage. Complicated? Don't blame me, I am just going through the aero figures of an F1 car  ::)

I just want to spice up the series  :D
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »
They can have bracket like within 3 minutes of the leader, where they will have a go at win, but they not only have to beat the leader, but also have to manage a certain lead over him to ensure that he win. Its like 4 or 5 driver within the bracket of 3 minutes of the leader. Then they will have a shoot-out, where the leader will have a 10% of the cushion, that is 1.8 second as because all the driver included in the shoot-out is more or less within 180 second of him. So to beat him, any driver have to beat him with 1.8 second advantage. Complicated? Don't blame me, I am just going through the aero figures of an F1 car  ::)

I just want to spice up the series  :D

Sounds very complicated BD.  :DntKnw: 

For me the drivers need to up the ante in the normal rally stages and either get better or give their places to others who can challenge the runaway leaders - namely the two Sebs.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »
OR, they could go back to the days of the 800 horsepower rally car.  :D
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle