collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mercedes-AMG F1 set for title sponsor change next term  (Read 2024 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Mercedes-AMG F1 set for title sponsor change next term
« on: October 17, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
Saudi state oil co, Aramco, look set to replace Petronas on the new gen 22 Merc F1 cars. 

https://decalspotters.com/2021/10/17/petronas-to-end-decade-long-relationship-with-mercedes-amg-aramco-set-to-become-title-sponsor/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 set for title sponsor change next term
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »
At a quick read, Aramco doesn't seem nearly as interesting as Petronas does.

Aramco is an oil/natural gas company, and that's about it.  It's really really big, but that's just because it owns a lot of other oil/natural gas companies.

Petronas is an oil/natural gas company too, but they're branching out into other forms of energy as well.  Sure, they probably make all their money on oil, but at least they're trying.

I assume that when oil/natural gas becomes a bad business model, that Aramco will simply purchase another energy company, or that the ownership (Saudi Royals) will just let it whither.

I guess good for Mercedes to take their money, but it's not very exciting to me. 

(I DO find it interesting that Aramco started as a tendril of Standard Oil.  I know 'late stage capitalism' is thrown around these days, but Standard Oil really is the poster child of 'late stage capitalism')

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
I wonder this has anything to do with the arrival of a Saudi Arabia GP and departure of the Malaysian GP.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline BraydenSoh

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 02:17:58 AM »
Losing Petronas might be a big loss for Mercedes as I believe that Petronas Fuel Formula and Lubricating oils plays a big role in Mercedes dominace. If Aramco is unable to offer the same level of expertise as Petronas, Mercedes is in big trouble.

Hopefully this would close the gap and we will see more competition up front! :yahoo:
'The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 07:39:57 PM »
I doubt Merc have not done their due diligence and will be in trouble I would expect it to have been tested to death!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:45:44 PM »
Well I doubt that Petronas has left Mercedes.

Yeah I know I posted this topic in October last year, but Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team is still currently the team name declared on the entry list for this season.

I'm also pretty sure Toto & Merc debunked the rumour, in much of the media that Aramco was replacing Petronas, within a week or two of my original post. Be a real suprise now to everyone if they do change - but hey this is the F1 circus and anything can happen.  ;) 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle