collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 116
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will Miami GP be cancelled?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Will Miami GP be cancelled?
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2022, 07:44:51 AM »
So it's 900 for all three days, still out of my price range.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2022, 11:09:25 AM »
The British GP 3 day ticket this year with grandstand seat ranges from £330 to £670 depending on the location of seat. That's not for hospitality package, they come in much higher.

$855 is cheapest Miami grandstand seat ranging up to $2380 for highest.
Cheapest Silverstone grandstand is £330, convert to dollars at about $425 and we see Miami prices are really high at double that, even more for top seats.  :swoon:

I guess it's because grandstand space is more limited in Miami, they're only showing 12 grandstands on booking site - and all cheap seats sold out - anyone got $2k spare?  :D

Silverstone has 26 grandstands plus 3 or 4 exclusive ones, probably more than most F1 tracks - oh and all British GP grandstand seats sold out for this year about 2 months ago.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2022, 06:18:32 PM »
Insane.  If F1 ran entire day activities instead of just shutting down the track right after FP2 (Friday) and Q (Saturday), I would re-evaluate.  But unless I got a full 3 days of non-stop action (maybe even party or concerts in the evenings), there is no way would I pay $900 for an F1 weekend grandstand seat. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2022, 01:27:44 PM »
I think that $900 just gets you in the gate, a grandstand seat is extra. If it helps, the race's website offers a plan to make time payments on the tickets.  :swoon:

In any case, I don't think hyper-priced tickets are going to help F1's popularity here in the States. To give you all something to compare it to, Mid Ohio Sports Car Course offers a season pass. Five 3 day weekends (IMSA, IndyCar, NASCAR, Vintage race cars and AMA vintage motorcycles), with parking, grandstand seating and other benefits all included, for $342.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
And that just gets you in the gate, no seating included. I think parking is extra, too. Looks like they will be the equal of Monaco in one respect $$$$.

Put it this way: the most expensive raceday grandstand seat at Monaco is €1430. 3-day tickets in the grandstands (note these have to be purchased on a per-day basis, which helps if you want a variety of views across the weekend) start at €770. General admission for the better area (Monaco has two grades of general admission, depending on how close you want to be to the track) is €320 for three days (downside: they sell out fast because that area's only on the outside of Tabac!). Note that Thursday at Monaco (with its support races) is now free with a purchase of a valid paid ticket for at least 1 day of the weekend, because there's no F1.

3 days in Miami on general admission is €833.33. You can literally get a full 4-day weekend in a cheap grandstand at Monaco for the price of Miami general admission. (Note that parking is not included for either option, but Monaco's public transport system is excellent).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 04:20:09 PM »
Miami Grand Prix Managing Partner Tom Garfinkel's explanation for exorbitant ticket prices is to offer higher service standards to all attendees.
Seems free bathroom facilities come at a high price in Miami.  :D

Below he is quoted from a press breifing at the venue this week by Racingnews365.com.

Why has ticket supply been kept low?

The Miami event has taken a unique approach to how to hold a Grand Prix weekend by curtailing the number of tickets available to fans.

Ostensibly, this has been with the aim of ensuring services and infrastructure aren't overwhelmed during the inaugural weekend, but has had the side-effect of ensuring sky-high ticket pricing.

"We deliberately kept the ticket count lower than the demand," Garfinkel explained.

"I think it was really about trying to make sure we could get everybody in and out of here easily.

"Concessions, bathrooms... I want everybody have a great experience. I don't want them to be stuck in traffic for three hours, waiting in line and concessions for 20 minutes.

"I want them to come, say it was a great event, 'I got in and out easily. I didn't have to wait in line at the bathroom, everything was clean. I was happy'.

"We're going to start there, and we'll grow from there. I definitely expect this to grow in the future. But we'll do it as we feel we can continue to provide that kind of experience for people and continue to grow."

Extract from longer article Courtesy Thomas Maher & Dieter Rencken, Racingnews.com, 5th May 22.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2022, 01:47:05 PM »
Did he say that before or after the TV coverage of FP1 & 2 showed all of those acres of nearly empty stands?  Surely people who can afford those astronomical ticket prices can get Friday off. ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2022, 06:08:11 PM »
Public toilets cost 1.- in Switzerland

(and some are pretty wild)

(there’s another one in Zurich with one way glass - from inside looking out…makes most people too nervous to pee)

so unless you get free food and souvenirs at those concessions, it’s still not worth 900.-
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline rmassart

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 07:52:45 AM »
(there’s another one in Zurich with one way glass - from inside looking out…makes most people too nervous to pee)

Went to some toilets in a park in Brussels where toilet doors were basically one-way mirrors. Except that some prankster (I assume!) had put them in the wrong way round. So you were sitting there not seeing out, but everyone else could see in  :D :D

Didn't stop people using the loo - I am sure some people weren't aware the mirrors were inside out.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2022, 05:17:59 PM »
The Hungarian Grand Prix manages to offer free toilets with short queues (and free water!), even to its £80 3-day-general-admissions crew.

I suspect the short and contentious timeframe between permission and event may have hampered recruitment. No point having free toilets if they are unusuably dirty or clogged, and the locals might be disinclined to work there if they have a choice given they thought this event should never have happened...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle