collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 128
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Surprise!!  (Read 2024 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Surprise!!
« on: May 11, 2022, 05:39:40 AM »
Most of the drivers want to get rid of the chicane in Miami. You know, the one where so many of them crashed. Oh yeah, they don't like the pavement either. Organizers say they're open to changes that will improve the circuit.

https://www.gptours.com/gr_news/miami-open-to-f1-circuit-changes-for-2023/

Lonny

Offline cosworth151

Re: Surprise!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 02:44:30 PM »
That's easy. Move it to Sebring but still call it the Miami Grand Prix. After all, Imola isn't in San Marino but they still called it that for years.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 06:00:55 PM »
That's easy. Move it to Sebring but still call it the Miami Grand Prix. After all, Imola isn't in San Marino but they still called it that for years.

I can see the appeal for having it right in downtown Miami, on Miami Beach, or somewhere on the shoreline, but once you go for 'suburban parking lot', why not just go to a local race track with a long heritage?  You can still build a fake marina at Sebring or Homestead.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 05:06:58 PM »
Ah, but would you want all of Sebring's bumps smoothed out?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »
Absolutely not! I want to see them run on a track that isn't pool table smooth! Besides, if they can get the oscillation frequencies just right, the pavement & the porpoising might dampen each other out (or maybe be additive and change the porpoising into pogo-ing!)  :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 07:20:47 PM »
Unfortunately, Grade 1 tracks are expected to be smooth by FIA regulation. Hence the query about the bumps.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 01:45:12 PM »
Fie on the FIA, the only organization on the planet that can make Liberty Media seem sane by comparison.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 04:52:21 AM »
If they want the cars to be "relevant" perhaps they should eliminate all aero appendages and let the tracks be a bit bumpy. Road cars rarely have effective diffusers, or giant wings, and some of the roads I drive on make me worry about bits vibrating off my car. Perhaps we should return to the mid '60's?
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 12:45:23 PM »
If they want the cars to be "relevant" perhaps they should eliminate all aero appendages and let the tracks be a bit bumpy. Road cars rarely have effective diffusers, or giant wings, and some of the roads I drive on make me worry about bits vibrating off my car. Perhaps we should return to the mid '60's?

Hey Lonny maybe we should all take up smoking cigs again  :swoon: - or even return to taking a pinch of snuff.  :D :DD :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 10:46:33 PM »
 :DntKnw:

Never smoked, dipped or pinched. They say they went to V6 hybrids to be relevant to road cars and you know be PC. Well, as long as the diffuser is the most important piece of aero hardware, the tracks will need to be glass smooth. So any track like Sebring is instantly eliminated as an F1 venue. They hated the chicane in Miami because it upset the car too much. Sooo.  :crazy:
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »
Lonny I was cheekily making the point that we can't unlearn things. Single seaters have come so far since 60s a return is pretty much impossible.

I agree with your point of a claimed road relevance, it's no such thing, and is not likely to be in the future so why not just make F1 as good technologically as possible.

I'll be interested to see how much the ride heights will need to be adjusted to cope with Monaco's twists, turns and cambers this weekend.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 10:29:00 PM »
Yeah I know.  :P

Years ago when GTP was dwindling because the factories were pulling out, NASCAR (of all people) put out rules for the Rolex Grand American class. GTP style cars built around a modified, repairable NASCAR chassis. But the biggest thing was they limited the downforce to about 50 pounds at the front and 100 or so at the rear. If they thought you were cheating, they stuck your car in NASCAR's wind tunnel and measured it. I was horrified and disappointed. The cars were slower and kind of ugly to my eyes. The drivers all protested saying the cars would be unsafe with such low downforce. Well, the cars were actually fun to drive. No problem following another car. Easy to drift and slide. Predictable. The racing was close. The cars had American V8s so they sounded good. The fields got bigger. It just showed that you don't need high tech and fine tuned aero for good racing.
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 01:36:19 PM »
I am all for reducing aero and losing DRS. Also shorten the cars and drop the weight.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 07:54:40 PM »
I am all for reducing aero and losing DRS. Also shorten the cars and drop the weight.

Well said, me too!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle