collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 125
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Spanish GP Winners & Losers  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Willy

Spanish GP Winners & Losers
« on: May 23, 2022, 02:08:34 PM »
I did enjoy this race as it had many battles up and down the field and surprises as well.

Max drove a clean race and had DRS issues or would have been at the pointy end sooner.
Perez is a great teammate and does what is asked of him to support Max. Plus he is fast as well.
George has shown he has a good handle on the Merc and his natural talent will bring him to the forefront of the team.
Charles did a great job in quali and the race with a great start until the Ferarri failed and he DNF.

Carlos was just not there for Charles and I imagine being in front of the home crowd may have been a factor with the added pressure.

Lewis was hit by Magnusson in the first corner and had to pit for fresh boots or might have been more of a presence. His radio message asking to retire the car was very telling in showing just how demoralized he is this season. This is not the Lewis of old and now I wonder if he will actually last the entire season.

Merc under fueled the cars expecting a safety car and low fuel usage for that period during the race but that did not occur so both George and Lewis had to turn down the engine near the end or risk running out and coasting to a stop. Stupid plan Merc!

Another point. I noticed during Qualifying that there were a couple of ladies at the rear of the HAAS garage on the KMag side and one was holding a very young child in her arms. Neither had hearing protection of any kind visible with a running F1 car within 12'.  That is child abuse to subject a small child to those sound levels with no protection. I imagine it was Kevin's wife and child who felt the need to be there so she could be on camera.  What a stupid twat!

I see children at races all the time in the stands and that is great that the younger generation is catching the F1 bug. Most of the time they have hearing protection but sometimes not. There should be some sort of rule posted that anyone attending a race under a certain age must have hearing protection at all times when cars are on track.  This is not just an F1 issue as all racecars are unmuffled and are very loud. Hearing damage can happen easily and very fast and is not repairable, it is a lifelong issue that can easily be avoided by taking the proper steps.
I, unfortunately, know what I am talking about after my many years working stage and very loud rock shows.

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Spanish GP Winners & Losers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 07:20:13 PM »
It could have been an exciting race but the media seemed determined to make it look boring...

Heroes

Mercedes - While the whole team deserves credit for excellent upgrades and generally excellent management of the weekend, I'd like to highlight Lewis Hamilton's engineer, for persuading Lewis Hamilton to continue after Magnussen used him as a brake on Turn 4. It would have been a much duller race without the subsequent fightback to P5.

Perez - maximised the opportunity and took being ordered out of the way with a good combination of grace and fact-checking.

Norris - somehow found a way to race and finish despite spectacularly severe hayfever affecting his vision. (And yes, McLaren checked with a doctor before letting him back in the car on race day).

Honourable mention: Eduardo Freitas - having issued a mid-qualifying much-needed clarification about how out-lap pace would be enforced, it would have been an easy mistake to require immediate compliance. Michael Masi would have done it. Charlie Whiting might. Eduardo instead investigated why, issuing reprimands to the real culprits only and acknowledging that the late timing of the rule change prevented sporting penalties this time - and only this time. I think we may see the end of the ridiculous bunching scenarios on out-laps soon, if the race directors hold their nerve.

Villains

Liberty - the drone was drunk and did not warrant this level of fuss. Also, there's no point showing us shots of the fans' backs or interminable longing looks at Tom Cruise.

Red Bull - if you're going to make a pair of drivers swap (in this era where it's legal and we know perfectly well one driver is a better title candidate than the other), just say so! (Also, stop describing Max Verstappen as the second coming of Jesus Christ and everyone else as a lesser being when races like this proves he's as human as any of his rivals - in several meanings of the term. That humanity is not a weakness and treating as such does neither his position nor Red Bull's any favours. Especially with rivals whose default attitude to such behaviour is to laugh at the silliness and gain energy from it).

Sky - I only saw qualifying on Sky... ...but moaning about Charles Leclerc's alleged lack of mental strength after one run in Q3 is unwise. Although the way they had to try backpedalling when he got pole 5 minutes later was, I suppose, mildly entertaining.

Dishonourable mention: Channel 4 for its Tom Cruise obsession, including showing the same very boring film advert that they showed at Silverstone last year.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 08:27:32 PM »
Yes, thank you Alia. I've been trying to voice my feelings about Max and couldn't find the words. You've hit it exactly. I don't even think he's the best driver on the grid.

I wonder about Danny R. Has he lost his Mojo? Is the McLaren slanted too much toward Norris? Is he just not as good as I once thought he was?

Bottas has been impressive in the Alfa. He actually seems happier there than at Merc. Alfa has taken a big step forward and he seems to be leading it.

I don't think Perez or Saenz enjoys being a de facto #2 and the pressure looks like it might be getting to them a bit.

I hope Lewis has found his inspiration again after a great drive up from the back.
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 09:33:02 PM »
The race was a bit dull.
I think Magnuson ruined any hope of excitement by taking out Hamilton - this was KMag back to his worst. Bad driving and then blaming Hamilton; and even suggesting it was deliberate. Pathetic!
I know it is a strange thing to say about a driver who has had DNFs and a faulty DRS but Verstappen is so lucky. Safety Cars ; VSC ; other driver problems all seem to work in his favour.
I honestly think Hamilton had the pace to challenge for the win.
It was overheating, not low fuel that made both Mercs have to lift and coast at the end. Especially Hamilton who had a coolant leak.
I really do not understand what is happening to Ricciardo. The car seemed desperately slow with cars passing him with ease.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 09:53:24 PM »
I miss the days when drivers were allowed to
win. Could you imagine G Hill being told move
over and let Jim thru. If you can get the win you
deserve it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 10:42:59 PM »
I can't imagine Colin Chapman giving such an order in the first place; he knew what would happen if Graham or Jim heard something so antithetical to how they understood competition.

However, since the FIA apparently can't/won't enforce team order regulations, this is inevitable. Checo knows it, and knows that resistance would be counterproductive.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 11:17:58 PM »
So with team orders there's really only 3 maybe
4 drivers shooting for the WDC. And none are on the
same team.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 01:52:09 PM »
Winners

Max.  A mark of a champion that you win the race even on a bad day.  Sure, he had the good fortune of a great car, his main opponent falling out of the race, his team mate getting out of the way, but he still won after a lacklustre start and a spin.

Hamilton.  It is easy to see him as a multiple champion by having the best car in field, but he's put on some absolute clinics in 'back of the pack' to solid points races.  Yes, having a good car helps, but he seems to be the best at it, even if he needed convincing from his team.

Losers
What happened with Albon?  He was SO far back, but I didn't hear a peep about the red haired one.  Did he crash?  Spin?  Puncture?  Just have an all 'round awful day?

Schumacher.  Should have fought for Mazepin to stay on the team to make him look good.  Sure, K-Mag had a bad race, but he still shows that Mick isn't likely to be his father on track.

Ricciardo.  I hate to see his career on the downslide.  Hopefully he gets better, it would be a shame to see him leave F1, especially so soon after Kimi left.  F1 needs big personalities, and no one is bigger than Daniel right now.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 03:38:11 PM »
I believe Albon suffered some floor damage early on which hindered any progress
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 03:46:16 PM »
Heroes:-

Max for pulling it back, first after chucking car into the gravel and then making the alternate strategy work when held up with misfiring DRS by George who defended admirably.

George who made the best of the Merc upgrades and showed Lewis a clean pair of heels in Quali & race. Well deserved podium.

Valterri, Ocon and Nando who all got the most from the car and all ended in the points.

Special mention for all drivers for managing to keep Bert Maylander and his Aston in the pits for the whole race, many went off track and bumped each other but no S/C.  ;)

Zeros:-

Lewis for tangling with KMag on first lap, when viewed from behind he clearly went wide into KMag - now whether by chance or design only he knows. KMag did not close the space, sure it's risky on the outside but there is room for 3 round that curve so a chance worth taking. Lewis has always been an ace at just releasing the steering slightly to put opponents alongside under pressure, he may well have done that here.

Perez for complaining on radio about team orders.  :o  Clearly Max has at least half second a lap pace on him on equal tyres, now how was Checo not expecting Max to just stuff his car up the inside at any corner leaving him with choice to yield or crash with fresher boots.
Horner knew he couldn't allow another Multi 21 total wipeout. Max will just ignore any order to stay behind just as Vettel refused to yield to Webber, so Perez gets the radio call.
Hey Checho here's a clue - which one of you has a multi year mega bucks deal?

Merc for probably underfilling both cars, expecting a S/C, causing more of a lift and coast than may have been necessary at end of race.

Red Bull for continual mechanical gremlins on the RB18, Max drove around this one but may not next time if this continues.

Williams for not putting Albon on hards after a couple of tyre shredding stints on softs & mediums, at least they'd now know if their problems are right accross tyre range.  ;) 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 03:50:31 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 05:37:43 PM »
I am honestly unbiased - KMag had acres of room on his outside and Hamilton was almost on the kerb. I watched every angle Sky showed; over and over. It was 100% KMags fault. Just like the bad old days when he needlessly took out team mates. He clearly forgot the rule that you can’t win a race on the first lap. All of the pundits laid the blame clearly on him. He ruined his own race and Hamilton’s race!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 06:06:26 PM »
Have you viewed the footage posted on Judge13.com, Monty?

https://thejudge13.com/2022/05/23/new-evidence-lewis-hits-magnussen/
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 06:45:54 PM »
So with team orders there's really only 3 maybe
4 drivers shooting for the WDC. And none are on the
same team.

2. There's only 2 teams able to sustain a season-long challenge... ...and I'm worried it may in fact be 1 team and thus 1 driver.

That footage was also on the Channel 4 highlights broadcast, and Lewis was committed to that line before Kevin showed up. It was Kevin turning in too much and he clearly didn't give himself any chance to bail out when it became apparently Lewis had no option to turn in further.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:52:02 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 01:41:27 PM »

In the Slo-Mo it does look like the rear of Lewis's Merc kicks out a little. That might have been due to the aero effects of K-Mag's Haas getting so close. I have to use King Richard's phrase "just one of them racin' deals."

I loved having both Haas cars into Q3. I really liked the race for about a half lap or so.  :'(

About what Willy said in his post - When I was younger I never wore ear protection at the track. I was way too cool & too tough for anything like that. I now have tinnitus and an almost constant ringing in my ears. Do your future self a favor & wear ear protection. I wish I would have. Children should always have it on in loud situations.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 07:59:54 PM »
‘The judge’ has a terrible reputation of never letting the facts get in the way of the point of view he wants to push.
This ‘video’ is computer generated and I have no idea if it is accurate or completely fabricated. Certainly none of the ‘live’ shots look like this. Most seem to indicate KMag turning in on Hamilton with the damage coming from front wing to front tyre contact.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle