collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 601
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel on David Letterman  (Read 5109 times)

Offline cosworth151

Vettel on David Letterman
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
Sebastian Vettel was on David Letterman last night (6/11/2012). I didn't know about it until shortly before it came on. Letterman, who is from the Indianapolis area, has been part owner of an IndyCar team for years.

Best quote of the interview:

Letterman - "If you could have an F1 race anywhere in the United States, where would you put it?"

Vettel - "Indianapolis."   :yahoo:

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

Re: Vettel on David Letterman
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
I liked the bit where the customs guy asked Seb if he had a good seat for the GP.  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »
Letterman, who is from the Indianapolis area, has been part owner of an IndyCar team for years.

From his bumbling introduction of DRS into the conversation it seems either he doesn't have much to do with the technical side of his teams operations, or he was trying to dis the world's No 1 motorsport ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »
You have to know Letterman.  He probably has a better grip on motorsport tech than most of us.  He was baiting Vettel.  It's always better if the expert describes things than the TV host.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
I do like Letterman's idea of F1 cars entering the Indy500 using one off designs. 

It would certainly help IRL by providing plenty of competing suppliers.

It would certainly help back marker F1 teams to have customers for their designs.

Of course, the biggest obstacle is the Monaco Grand Prix.  I can't see either race changing their date.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
The Indy 500 was a points-paying F1 race from 1950 through 1960. Even then, It conflicted with Monaco.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
I don't know how anyone watches David Letterman!  :sick:

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
Plenty of UK shows that I haven't been able to get through more than a few minutes.  It's cultural, not one better than the other.  I.e. it's funnier if you can relate.

David

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
Plenty of UK shows that I haven't been able to get through more than a few minutes.  It's cultural, not one better than the other.  I.e. it's funnier if you can relate.

Let me rephrase, I don't know how anybody watches chat shows where the host is that obnoxious. I'm not a big TV fan.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »

Let me rephrase, I don't know how anybody watches chat shows where the host is that obnoxious. I'm not a big TV fan.

To be fair, Letterman has been at this since before Bernie took over F1.  A lot of people watch Letterman because they have fond memories of what he brought to late night TV in the 1980s.

I haven't watched Letterman since the 90s.

In the rare times I am watching late night TV, it's either Sports Desk, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert or Conan.

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
I thought Letterman was rather ignorant, asks a question and then butts in before the answer. I think that the chat show hosts have forgotten that the guest is the starand not them, or have they all got their heads that far up their own bums.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
Letterman has to jam a fair amount into 40+minutes of TV.  He (and so many other interviewers) have a style that doesn't usually appeal to hard core fans of any particular guest.  However it does appeal to most of his audience, because they get a quick insight, a few good laughs, and then on to the next guest.  That's just life in big American talk shows.  Leno is no better.

And actually for the record, Letterman IS the bigger star.  His annual salary is almost double what Alonso's is (who is highest paid in F1 I believe), and his net worth would put him only second to Bernie in the F1 circus.

I don't watch him regularly any more, but that's mostly because we don't get it over here, and I like other shows more (for infotainment I much prefer Rick Mercer or Jon Stewart).  When I am in North America, I'll usually try to watch him if it's convenient.   

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
Letterman has to jam a fair amount into 40+minutes of TV.

That was the case on this day. He had an opening monologue, a couple of comedy bits, Mark Wahlberg, Seb, and the band Black Box Revelation. All in 44 minutes of program.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:05:58 AM »

I'm part of the culture, I can relate, I still don't watch. He is obnoxious, his show is shallow and I always get the feeling he thinks he's smarter than the rest of us.  :sick:
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 07:16:54 AM »
I'm part of the culture, I can relate, I still don't watch. He is obnoxious, his show is shallow and I always get the feeling he thinks he's smarter than the rest of us.  :sick:

There is an entire network in the US that fitS that description.  

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle