collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 337
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lewis under investigation for Slogan T-shirt on F1 Tuscan GP podium  (Read 6685 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Must say I was shocked that the normally over pedantic flunkeys who constantly cajole & shepherd top 3 drivers through procedures at the end of the race allowed Lewis onto the podium with such an item of clothing.

I texted a friend at the time it spells trouble.

FIA must take action or every driver will be free to turn up with their slogan of choice in future. I know the publicity will be against the FIA when they give a penalty, but it's their or Liberty's own fault for allowing it to happen.   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-8728395/Lewis-Hamilton-marks-Tuscan-Grand-Prix-victory-wearing-shirt-honour-Breonna-Taylor.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:26:59 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

Re: Lewis under investigation for Slogan T-shirt on F1 Tuscan GP podium
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 04:15:14 PM »
If they do anything more than tell him not to do it again they will open themselves up for massive negative publicity.
The slogan only becomes 'political' if you know what it referred to. I had heard about Breonna Taylor almost accidentally - the incident didn't make most of UK news. Most of the people I have spoken to had no idea what it was about and hadn't bothered to find out.

I think Lewis believes he is making a difference but I just wish he would stick to doing his job. This situation wasn't about colour and wasn't international. It was a very US specific incident and relates to Police officers over-reacting to being shot-at (if you can say 'over-react' and 'being shot at' in any truly sensible sentence!) 

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »
According to the BBC, the FIA sporting code say this:

The sporting code forbids competitors from "affixing to their automobiles advertising that is political or religious in nature or that is prejudicial to the interests of the FIA".

So, not sure that's in breach of the code, since the message was not affixed to the car.

I didn't see the podium live, but from the pictures I personally think the message is too direct and one sided. However, I wish more sports stars would use their media spotlight to raise awareness of issues important to them. I'm fed up with the whole politically correct thing. I agree teams shouldn't get involved, but sports personalities are human after all and lots of people use their status to seek change. Why should it be forbidden? I realise some messages might upset people and for example could drive away sponsors of the sport, but so what. Lost sponsorship is more likely to affect a driver than the sport as a whole. I'm sure I've not thought this through, but Toto Wolff probably has. The BBC said this:

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said on Saturday that Hamilton had the organisation's full support in his desire to highlight racial injustice and that it was up to him what T-shirts he wished to wear to demonstrate that.

Wolff said: "No question - it is entirely his decision. Whatever he does, we will support.

As monty mentions most people don't know about the Breonna Taylor incident. I didn't.  And if the media hadn't made such a fuss about Lewis's T-shirt, I still wouldn't, as I didn't watch the podium celebrations.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »
I feel this has to be penalised if only to prevent others rocking up at a podium with their own slogans.

I see no problem with any driver wearing this or any message T-shirt around the paddock or immediately after they win a race.

I cannot agree to using the podium, they should respect the ceremony as a presentation of trophies for the motor race and not try and hijack it for whatever reason.

I'd say send a team representative to collect your trophy if you can't respect the podium rather than scoring a political point, however obscure or laudable that point it might be..... - Oh no wait a minute you can't do that  :nono: you'll be penalised as the podium is an important part of procedure that drivers agree to when they get their super licences and pay to enter F1.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 08:20:25 PM »
I cannot agree to using the podium, they should respect the ceremony as a presentation of trophies for the motor race and not try and hijack it for whatever reason.

Despite my earlier comment, I think I agree with this. The podium is the wrong place for this.

Although I still wish drivers showed more willingness to stick their necks out and make a point, but of course if there's no penalty it would be a cheap point. On the other hand, if Lewis knows he's going to be banned for the next trace and still wears the t-shirt, I would respect that.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
Of all the 'Justice for (insert name here)' cases being tried in the Press and on the street, this one is the most complex. There are many issues involved beyond the White Cop shoots Black Suspect trope. There is a serious problem when Blacks (and to a lesser extent Hispanics and Asians) are afraid of being stopped for a traffic offense. If you didn't grow up as a minority that many are prejudiced against, I don't think you can understand what this means to Lewis. The FIA can't win here unless Lewis broke a very specific rule that they can cite. I'm not in favor of treating the podium as some kind of sacred place. It's where you get a prize for competing in a game played with cars. A game whose playing field is virtually segregated whether by chance or design. If the drivers feel the need to promote a cause let 'em. Who cares?
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 10:17:07 PM »
This happened in the city I live in. Hamilton needs
to look at the facts before running his mouth. I'm
considering rather I want to watch F1 any longer.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 12:59:42 AM »
This happened in the city I live in. Hamilton needs
to look at the facts before running his mouth. I'm
considering rather I want to watch F1 any longer.

I know this may not be the place to respond Dare, but the only version I've heard is that armed men broke into her home while she was sleeping, she was killed in the cross fire, and no effort has been made to hold anyone accountable.

If you want to PM me the local version of events, or even send me a link, it would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately the modern world only reacts to grandiose gestures.  If Lewis Hamilton mentions it in an interview, who knows who's going to see it?  Right or wrong, he wants this conversation to be had, and there's no other way he can make it happen.  If F1 fines him, he'll pay the fine, and go double with his next win.  If F1 deducts points, it will destroy the sport. I know that Hamilton is walking a fine edge, he doesn't want to sacrifice his career for this, but he doesn't want to be seen taking the easy way out.  If push comes to shove, he'll sacrifice his career, and take F1 down with him.  An accommodation will be made behind closed doors. The winner of future races will be given an opportunity to make a 'profound statement' of some sort, and the podium will go back to being cathartic frivolity.  (I do think that the podium has become less interesting when they moved the interviews BEFORE the presentation.  The drivers have cooled off, and literally had time to reflect on the race.  Watching them still full of energy and pure emotion was so much better)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 04:30:06 AM »
If they haven't hidden it behind a paywall, here is the New York Times report:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/breonna-taylor-police.html
Lonny

Offline Robem64

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 07:42:06 AM »
At the risk of being controversial I do question Hamilton's true commitment to whatever cause he believes he's supporting. The thing he didn't do, which would have made the biggest statement, was to boycott the GP in Spa when many of his US sports buddies did the same. Now that would have been a very strong message to make the world sit up and think a little more.  I also think failing to turn up for one of the anti-racism "shows of unity" was also pretty poor for someone who says he is so passionate about it.

Is wearing a sloganed t-shirt really going to change the world? If he wants to truly inspire and make change then I think a man in his position needs to think outside the box a little more.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 08:45:56 AM »
The NYT report is exactly what I had heard and I find it hard to find any justification or mitigation for what these Police Officers did - it seems they were really bad at their job. However, I do dot see that this is a White on Black issue. Just a sad indictment of the US gun laws and poor Police training.
Lewis is someone that believes he should use his fame to highlight good causes and he has a wonderful record of putting his money where his mouth is regarding charities, etc. We can't deny that his Slogan T-shirt has raised awareness - here we are discussing it. However, I still wish he would keep this type of controversial 'lobbying' away from his sport. One of the good things about most sport is that it is fairly inclusive and provides some escapism from the crap that goes on in our World. 

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 06:19:03 PM »
I'd never heard anything about it either, when I saw Lewis's t-shirt I thought who the heck is that and what's it all about.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 09:53:21 PM »
I couldn’t care a less what t-shirt any driver wears and where. But I would think Merc and their sponsors might have some concern that their driver is holding a trophy wearing anything besides sponsorship.  Maybe they don’t.  If my company’s name is supposed to be emblazoned across his chest, I’d be pretty p*ssed if it was covered with anything else, especially in a year when many sponsors will be trying to figure out the value of it while the stands are empty and televised ratings probably aren’t great.

I have my own opinions on the Breonna Taylor killing, but nothing anyone puts in a t-shirt is going to change that.

I’m not sure anything should be done by the FIA.  Simpler to leave it to the teams to sort out.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:23:02 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »
I'd never heard anything about it either, when I saw Lewis's t-shirt I thought who the heck is that and what's it all about.

What I do find a tad confusing about Hamilton's actions... the American athletes were originally protesting how American authorities were treating American citizens.  Thus the symbolism of kneeling during the American national anthem.  (If you're not American, you don't get how big a deal this is.  A large number of Americans consider the anthem playing to be a holy moment, and you're damned to Hell if you disrupt it.  If you are American, you don't get how the rest of us don't consider the national anthem quite so seriously.  We see it as a moment of patriotism, sure, but we're not going to Hell because we forgot stand up while some old song gets played.) 

Given how little American involvement there is in F1, Hamilton's protests aren't really striking the same chord.  I applaud him trying to get the issues out there, but I think with his audience focusing on the the more general 'we race as one' would be more effective.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »
At the risk of being controversial I do question Hamilton's true commitment to whatever cause he believes he's supporting. The thing he didn't do, which would have made the biggest statement, was to boycott the GP in Spa when many of his US sports buddies did the same. Now that would have been a very strong message to make the world sit up and think a little more.  I also think failing to turn up for one of the anti-racism "shows of unity" was also pretty poor for someone who says he is so passionate about it.

Is wearing a sloganed t-shirt really going to change the world? If he wants to truly inspire and make change then I think a man in his position needs to think outside the box a little more.

Whereas in the US all the NBA, I believe it was them, boycotted the games on LH would have been boycotting Spa so I sort of understand why he didn't.
As much as I agree with with his stance I believe the podium should kept for F1 the "T" shirt could have been worn during the press interviews.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle