collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 513
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Shell purchasing Russian Oil  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Jericoke

Shell purchasing Russian Oil
« on: March 07, 2022, 06:35:05 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60638255?fbclid=IwAR2nAFAz8ZQn3YNfygL25lal9K1FugmAJmqMMucDMXvXxRql-h1JEzScyVI

Just when I was happy that Ferrari was FINALLY out of the clutches of nicotine sponsorship, now their major sponsor goes and buys a shipful of Russian oil.

It should be noted that of all the sanctions currently on Russia, it is still perfectly legal in most jurisdictions to purchase oil from Russia.

It's also perfectly legal to wonder why Ferrari would partner with someone doing business with Russia in 2022.

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Shell purchasing Russian Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 02:00:41 AM »
Ferrari and Shell have been partners for decades. If Ferrari wants to end it they can, but it's not a new deal. I believe the US (or US companies) is still buying Russian Oil, unless something changed over the weekend.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 01:14:50 PM »
Coke, Pepsi & McDonalds (among many others) are still doing business with Russia, too. In big business, money trumps morality every time.

I don't think any nation has cut off Russian oil. So why is the price of gas skyrocketing? (See above paragraph)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 03:56:32 PM »

I don't think any nation has cut off Russian oil. So why is the price of gas skyrocketing? (See above paragraph)

Think it was more to do with Saudi's saying they wont fill the gap, which they could easily do, if Russian oil banned by US & Europe. That was enough in the beginning to spook spot oil and futures price. What should be looked at more closely, I think, is who is making all the money pushing prices ever higher trading on the spot & futures markets - it's not necessarily producing countries or oil companies.   

Saudi's are clearly choosing solidarity of OPEC over any other consideration. Can't say I blame them as US administrations have always sought to control world oil trade, look at it's total embargo on Venezuelian oil which keeps the country in abject poverty, whislt Venezeula sits on probably the largest oil reserves in the world.

Games, so called, superpowers play in one part of the world resonates stongly with other states all round the globe leading to many of them to take selfish, and from our point of view unhelpful decisions. Couple this with OPEC members revenues being hit hard from huge pressure by green campaigners and surplus production in last 5 years with oil prices for many falling to, or even below, cost of production - especially during height of pandemic. Controlling supply has led to higher oil prices in general now as consumption ramps up, and will continue too so long as supply is kept in check from OPEC producers. From their point of view it's simple economics, not necessarily political comfort for any side. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 09:30:26 PM »
I wonder at what point the approaching oil
crisis will effect the 2022 season.

Now Putin in threatening to cut off oil to Europe. Seems
to me like sanctions hurt the citizens as much as the countries
being sanctioned
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 01:41:35 PM »
I wonder at what point the approaching oil
crisis will effect the 2022 season.

Now Putin in threatening to cut off oil to Europe. Seems
to me like sanctions hurt the citizens as much as the countries
being sanctioned

That's the idea.  Sanctions aren't a great tool, but when the alternative is blowing people up, it's a much better option.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 05:38:52 PM »
There have been some demonstrations in Russia against the invasion which apparently surprised Putin. Don't know if it will affect his actions (I doubt it) but Russians are not 100% behind him as he expected.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 10:28:21 PM »
There have been some demonstrations in Russia against the invasion which apparently surprised Putin. Don't know if it will affect his actions (I doubt it) but Russians are not 100% behind him as he expected.

I thought I read last week that a law was passed last
week that protesters could receive a 15 year sentence.
So I guess he has been paying attention but life has no
meaning to him

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 11:14:14 PM »

I thought I read last week that a law was passed last
week that protesters could receive a 15 year sentence.
So I guess he has been paying attention but life has no
meaning to him

It also seems that the Russia general public is not getting the information the rest of the world are hence why captured/surrendered Russian troops are being treated well and being allowed to ring home.
It would be quite nice if it all stopped!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle