collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: An on track look at Miami F1 circuit with explantion behind layout.  (Read 1881 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Found this vid of Miami track with input from the track development firm.

Not sure where overtakes might occur other than at end of DRS zones, but we'll see - might turn out better than expected.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

We've seen great races at bad tracks, and terrible races at great tracks.

2022 has provided above average racing so far.  I think last race being a fairly 'average' race felt like a letdown after the first few rounds.  Hopefully Miami can be something exciting, even if it's from reliability, strategy or the novelty of the track.

Offline lkjohnson1950

When he mentioned the "marina" he failed to say that it's all fake. Fake boats on painted water.  :DD :DD
Lonny

Online Jericoke

When he mentioned the "marina" he failed to say that it's all fake. Fake boats on painted water.  :DD :DD

Apparently they're real boats.  Which is honestly weirder to have real boats on fake water.  Like... why not just build fake boats?  Or recover some wrecked boats?  It took 10 months to get permission to use real boats!

Offline Scott

Product placement…Miami’s a boat town, and those are hot rods
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

They had to at least flatten the keels didn't they?
Lonny

Offline Robem64

They had to at least flatten the keels didn't they?

I (perhaps wrongly) assumed the wooden decking had been built around the keels?
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online cosworth151

Daytona has Lake Lloyd. Maybe this could be Lake Fake.

Well, at least it's not Hermann Tilke.

Here's a local Miami news story about the race that shows the fake lake. It shows all of the other attractions. I did notice one small thing was noticeably absent - Not a single race car of any kind in sight. I think that tells me everything I need to know about the Miami Autocross GP

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/05/04/hard-rock-stadium-transforms-formula-1-miami-grand-prix/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

Daytona has Lake Lloyd. Maybe this could be Lake Fake.

Well, at least it's not Hermann Tilke.

Here's a local Miami news story about the race that shows the fake lake. It shows all of the other attractions. I did notice one small thing was noticeably absent - Not a single race car of any kind in sight. I think that tells me everything I need to know about the Miami Autocross GP

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/05/04/hard-rock-stadium-transforms-formula-1-miami-grand-prix/

"Yachts at a race track?  Only in Miami!"  Or Monaco.  Marina Bay.  Jeddah.  Okay, like half the races.

At least we know that Miami based Formula 1 coverage is just as clueless as most Formula 1 coverage around the world   :tease:

Offline lkjohnson1950

Based on the picture they showed they either flattened the bottoms of the "yachts" or they dug trenches to put them in. And they are pretty small "yachts".
Lonny

Online Jericoke

Re: An on track look at Miami F1 circuit with explantion behind layout.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »
Based on the picture they showed they either flattened the bottoms of the "yachts" or they dug trenches to put them in. And they are pretty small "yachts".

To be fair, in America/Canada 'yacht' is used more generously than it is in Europe.  We've got a lot of good sized lakes you would never put Russian Oligarch sized ships in, but you still want something 'luxurious'. 

The Daily Star has pictures of the Marina being built.  They are indeed complete boats which were installed in decking, with the marina then built around them.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1/miami-grand-prix-fake-marina-26803947

Online cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 01:54:11 PM »
I think they just left them on the trailers & stretched blue fabric around them. Maybe they could get a few semi tankers full of the pourable resin we use to simulate water on model railroads.

Imagine how surprised a flock of ducks will be when they try to land on it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 06:00:37 PM »
They’re built into a platform with cutouts for the boats so they sink into it to the “waterline”.

Blue tarps or plastic spread out to imitate water.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2022, 02:33:39 AM »
Are you a model railroader Cos?
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 05:05:01 PM »
Yep, since childhood. Mostly in HO scale.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle