collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 395
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Canada 2022 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Jericoke

Canada 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« on: June 20, 2022, 03:59:28 PM »
Heroes:
Max - winning, from pole position, even in the best car is still an accomplishment.  We've seen other Red Bull drivers throw away 'guaranteed' wins at this very track, so this really does need to be noted as 'heroic'.

Sainz - It's been an up and down season, but a solid second place is good, and giving us genuine challenges for the lead, plus the fastest lap, made this an interesting race to watch.

Hamilton - he was  helped to a podium finish, but he seized his opportunity.

LeClerc - a solid performance from the back of the field.  It's not enough to have a great car, it takes skill (we saw that first hand in previous seasons where Hamilton could scythe through the field while Bottas was hung out to dry behind slower competitors).  Hopefully he and his team get everything hooked up to make 2022 somewhat of a contest.

Stroll - managed to work his way up to a points paying position for his home race.  More would've been nice, but honestly, he got more than I was expecting.

Alfa Romeo - Double points finish!

Zeroes:
Haas - Has there ever been a more Jekyll and Hyde team?  You really don't know if they're going to be brilliant or failing spectacularly from moment to moment.

Alonso - great qualifying in the wet but didn't really seem to be able to back it up on race day.  He knew he wasn't racing for the win, but he didn't look like he was racing at all.  (And that amateur hour weaving?!)

McLaren - if it weren't for Haas I'd be wondering if THEY were the most Jekyll and Hyde team.  They didn't look like a 'best of the rest' outfit at all today.

Tsunoda - I'm not entirely clear on what happened to him, and I'm not sure he is either.

Perez - not really his fault he was out but even if his car hadn't given up, I'm not sure he'd have been a factor in the race.  Bonus points for his photogenic hike back to the pits.  Not quite the level of Alonso taking in some rays on a chair, or Kimi hopping onto a yacht, but definitely the same kind of energy.

Offline rmassart

Re: Canada 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 06:28:35 PM »
Pretty much sums it up.

One possible zero: Ferrari

I can't help feeling they could have somehow won this race given all the safety cars. Specifically, maybe they should have put sainz on mediums at the last pit with 20 odd laps to go, five of which behind the safety car.

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 11:18:58 PM »
Jeri seems to sum up each race so well that I usually don't have much to add.
I was happy for Alpha to get Bottas up into the points.
The quali in the wet was a nice treat as it shook up the field a bit but the race sorted it all out again.
Leclerc did a decent job coming from the back but did not slice thru the field as I thought he would.
The Ferarri did not have what it takes this weekend.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 08:13:28 AM »
I think it's pretty clear that barring acts of God Max and R/B are going to cruise to another title. Unfortunately.
Lonny

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 12:50:46 PM »
Heroes:-

Sainz for giving us a real show by giving all he'd got for the last quarter of the GP. Not sure if teamate Charles could have done any better against Max in that situation.

Max for having a faultless race, he withstood big pressure at the end of race, in earlier years he may well have cracked but he's now a complete F1  champ.

Alfa Romeo boys, both team and drivers came through a sometimes difficult w/e to grab point from both cars.

Red Bull & Ferrari for proving that both teams are pushing cars/engines to the limit this season. Perez dnf shows we are almost back to F1 of 20 or 30 yars ago with fragility being a bg factor in the results. Lets be honest Merc bullet proof reliability from 2015 to 2020 was bloody boring.

Special mention for Alex Albon, he showed why he belongs on the F1 grid. He came home ahead of Gasly & Norris who are in much better machinery and way ahead of his teamate again.

Zeros:-

Alonso & Alpine, they promised so much and it all fell apart. I reckon the team is allowing Nando to dictate the strategy too much - how the hell was his crazy long run on his first set of tyres ever gonna result in anything but tears. I'd like to praise Ocon, but I can't as his finish position was down to strategy - the right one not Nando's crazy plan - and it shows Nando could have finished much higher than he did.

Haas, what is there to say apart from Que????

AT. much the same as Haas but doesnt need it in bold, car just doesn't suit track I guess.

Charles & Ferrari, really guys what strategy was that?? You lucked into the finishing place, could have been so much better.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »
I think it's pretty clear that barring acts of God Max and R/B are going to cruise to another title. Unfortunately.

This is actually the biggest benefit of the 'Drive to Survive' aspect of Formula One.  We get to know more than the championship contenders, and understand there are stories, triumphs and tragedies up and down the grid.  I do feel like the broadcasters have leaned into that, giving us more 'down field' coverage than we have in the past.  (I'm sure that British broadcasters no longer having a Briton fighting for wins affects that too)

Obviously winning the race is still the paramount concern, but if they can get us to care about 10th place just as much, that's good for spectators, right?

Online Dare

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 10:44:41 PM »
Funny when Lewis was cruising to his titles in boring
seasons everyone loved it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 06:57:38 AM »
Well I always pulled for anybody who was close to him, except Max. I just don't like Max and find Lewis, for all his faults, to be a more likeable person. My personal favorite is still Daniel but I'm warming to LeClerc.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 01:37:50 PM »
Well I always pulled for anybody who was close to him, except Max. I just don't like Max and find Lewis, for all his faults, to be a more likeable person. My personal favorite is still Daniel but I'm warming to LeClerc.

Never been a fan of Max, but I've been putting him in 'hero' category because of his driving.  However until he denounces Nelson Piquet's recently publicized comments on Hamilton, I won't be putting him in that category again.

LeClerc is interesting to me.  I like him, he seems like a good kid and a skilled driver.  He seems to straddle the line of 'aw shucks, I'm just happy to be here' and 'I was born to be an F1 champion'.  I suppose most F1 drivers, deep down, believe they should be champion, you really can't get to the sport without that attitude, but LeClerc seems a little more 'silver spoon' about it.  Still, seems like a good guy who appreciates his place in F1.  I don't ever want to see Ferrari win, but if it's LeClerc, that's not so bad  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle