F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Liberty Wants Spa to "Americanize"

(1/6) > >>

cosworth151:
It looks like Spa is under threat from Liberty Media. It isn't glitz enough for them.

"It is true that there was a request from F1 to introduce a greater component of entertainment," Spa-Francorchamps promoter Stijn de Boever, is quoted by Italy's Autosprint. "They said that history is something great but we need more. We decided to listen to them and follow them in the new way of offering Formula events.

"This American way, with all of the entertainment that this entails."

There is a rumor that Spa could become a non-championship round with young drivers in place of the regular driver line-ups.

Seriously, that sounds like a good way to handle the events like Miami & Vegas. Formula 1 can stay a real racing series and Liberty gets its glitz fests. The target market Liberty is trying for with events like Miami & Vegas probably wouldn't notice the difference if they raced 3 year olds in pedal cars.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a40391472/spa-francorchamps-officials-prepared-to-go-the-american-way-in-effort-to-keep-f1-race/

lkjohnson1950:
The American business model has long been that it's more important to attract new customers than to hold on to existing customers. Nearly all advertising involves "switch to" not "thanks for your business".

Andy B:
Oh Dear!
I feared this was the way it would potentially go and Miami did nothing for me if I go to a circuit I go for the racing not a heap celeb's who know nothing about F1.
At least on TV it's able to be avoided but that also means not watching live.
I wonder what percentage of "Fans" think the same way or am I an anomaly?  :DntKnw:

John S:
I went to the British GP in 2018 and camped with family & friends from Thurs to Sun eve. Having plenty of on track action like historic cars, F2 & Porsche cup besides F1 was great, but extra things like music in the evenings, some funfair & entertaiment areas & display/exhibitions of motor/F1 related stuff, made it a whole lot better, especially for kids.

Silverstone doesn't perhaps have the razamataz of Miami but they know how to entertain the crowds for the duration.

I get a sense that Spa is a more sparse kind of affair, a bit like Brit GPs used to be back in the 70s & 80s. Brands Hatch F1 race in 1974, which was the first I went to, was certainly a petrol heads/lads convention rather than a family affair. There was only basic catering facilities and assorted team hat & T shirt sales - oh and lots of cigarette promo booths handing out fags.  :D   

Dare:
 Liberty Wants Spa to "Americanize

All I have to say is be careful what you wish for

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version