collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Britain 2022 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Jericoke

Britain 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« on: July 04, 2022, 02:40:02 AM »
Heroes:

Sainz, first pole, first win.  The race never seemed like his to win, yet when things broke his way, he was ready to take advantage.

Perez, how the heck did that happen?  He was out of the race entirely, we barely hear a peep from him, and suddenly he's second place?  Boys and girls, this is why don't ever give up.

Hamilton, put on a great race.  I think he was in line to win if he'd had slightly better luck (and maybe the mediums instead of softs for the last stint?)

Most of the rest of the grid:  solid racing top to bottom, lots going on, a few knuckle head moves (noted below), finishing this race was an accomplishment to be celebrated I think.

Zeroes:
Max.  For his offtrack attitude, he will remain a perma-zero for me until he redeems himself.

Alpha Tauri.  What's going on there?  The team seems to be in shambles, the drivers aren't understanding each other on track.  Tost did a great job bringing Vettel and Verstappen into championship careers, but honestly, they'd have done that without him.  Ricciardo, Gasly, Sainz, Albon, they're all great drivers that went through Tost too.  It's time for a change.

I'm glad that Zhou and Albon are okay.  Hard to apportion blame on those crashes.  I'm not sure that gravel traps have a place in modern F1, maybe I'm wrong.  There's always going to be 'freak' accidents that no one is going to be able to plan for, so I'm glad the cars have robust safety systems.

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Britain 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 07:31:50 AM »
Much as I dislike Max, he did a fine job to bring his
 crippled car home in the points. If he would just
 stop whining. The pit wall was aware he had
 reduced grip and there was nothing they could do
 about it.

Alonso once again hung around and hung around
 and was there at the end for a nice points haul.

Zeroes

Mercedes once again botched Lewis' strategy not
 once but twice. Left him out too long on mediums
 and picked the wrong tire at the end. I hope Merc is
 finally getting it sorted and this wasn't a flash in the
 pan.

The FIA. Allowed some pretty dodgy moves after the
 safety car to go unchallenged. Drivers will take that
 to mean they can continue to put all four wheels off,
 or force a competitor off the track.

Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 02:36:51 PM »
Yes, I feel the FIA or Stewards were not following their own new rules as not once, but twice cars were pushed off track and nothing was done. It should be dealt with while the race is on not looked at afterwards as an on-track event needs to have
on-track repercussions.
Merc did pooch Lewis race with poor strategy and tire choice.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 04:24:02 PM »
Besides what has already been mentioned....

Heroes:

Silverstone - As we were saying in the Chat Room, great tracks lead to great races.

Haas - Double points finish!  :yahoo:

Sainz - A well deserved first win. Almost got the Grand Slam until Lewis pulled F/L at the end.

Hamilton - Looks like the old Lewis is back.

The Track Safety Crews - They did a great job safely extracting Zhou from his car after a horrifying shunt. Having the car standing on it's side stuck between the catch fence and the TechPro barrier probably isn't something they train for. Full marks for Zhou for his good spirits after the incident. Posting a selfie of himself showing that he was OK was a fine move for the fans to see. Anybody want to bet that the catch fence there will be higher next season?

Zeroes:

The Clueless Campaigners: The idiots who ran onto the track on the first lap to protest something. It could well have been a huge disaster if the field wasn't under FCY due to Zhou's shunt. Good on the broadcasters for not showing them or mentioning whatever they were there for.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 08:44:25 PM »
The Clueless Campaigners: The idiots who ran onto the track on the first lap to protest something. It could well have been a huge disaster if the field wasn't under FCY due to Zhou's shunt. Good on the broadcasters for not showing them or mentioning whatever they were there for.
Sometimes I’m embarrassed to be British!! The idiots would have paid around £100 to be there - just to run on to the track. They got zero TV coverage here in the UK. How did that help any cause???? It would have been more helpful if they had donated their entry fees to a good cause!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 09:29:40 PM »
And yet here we are all talking about them and several drivers commented that they are sympathetic to their aims if not their means....  :D

They've had plenty of indirect coverage in the news I've been reading.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 09:54:06 PM »
Does anyone know what they were protesting
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 02:38:45 PM »
This is the 1st I am hearing of any protestors at the race. No mention on F1TV.
Some people seem to feel that protesting at large events and getting media coverage will gain them widespread attention and more sympathizers.
The so-called Freedom Convoy morons that occupied our Capital back in February had the same myopic self-interest point of view that showed zero regards for anyone other than themselves.

There were also no images shown of Zhou's crash after it happened and that was smart until they found out his condition. I would have liked to see the crews working on retrieving the car after they found out he was okay, but nothing was forthcoming.

Offline rmassart

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 11:47:36 PM »
If Lewis and Vettel support this group maybe they should
race electric cars nest year.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline rmassart

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »
Yes, I agree, it's rather hippocritical to make your living driving cars with enormous fuel consumption in a circle as fast as they can "for fun" and then support protests against oil!!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 01:54:58 PM »
Yes, I agree, it's rather hippocritical to make your living driving cars with enormous fuel consumption in a circle as fast as they can "for fun" and then support protests against oil!!

Both drivers acknowledge the hypocrisy, and then point out that F1 generates more HP per unit of gas/petrol than just about any other engine technology.  Basically if the entire oil using world was as efficient as an F1 car, then we wouldn't really be worried about it from an environmental perspective.  In essence, the protestors damage themselves by protesting one of the few groups investing billions of dollars into reducing emissions.

(Of course, most of F1's 'carbon footprint' is created from moving equipment and personnel between races, meaning your local Forest Fire league probably has less 'carbon footprint' than F1.)

Personally, I don't see how F1 can stay as a hydrocarbon based formula much longer.  I know that Formula E isn't ready for 'prime time', but Formula E doesn't have the F1 level of investment either.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 04:08:12 PM »
I have little sympathy for anyone who thinks their cause is "so important" that it OK to put innocent people's lives at risk. Isn't that what people say when they fly airliners into buildings?

As for Farce Formula E - The series can be summed up with two dreaded words: Fan Boost.  :sick:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 10:56:47 PM »
Both drivers acknowledge the hypocrisy, and then point out that F1 generates more HP per unit of gas/petrol than just about any other engine technology.  Basically if the entire oil using world was as efficient as an F1 car, then we wouldn't really be worried about it from an environmental perspective.

This may be true, but nevertheless the F1 technology is not being transferred into normal road tech, else all cars would be as efficient as F1 cars.

So at some point the argument is what's the point in having this technology available if it can't be reused elsewhere.

Perhaps Formula E would have more technology transfer, but even there I guess most of the technology breakthrough comes from industry rather than Formula E.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 03:47:55 PM »
I'd like to add a new Zero to the list:

Zero:  Alfa Romeo's roll over crash 'hoop' failed during Zhou's crash.  In replays you can see it snap off almost immediately. Yes, the halo protected him, but that's not the halo's job.  I'm glad Zhou is okay, I'm glad the cars have redundant safety systems, but that seems like a big fail on behalf of Alfa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle