F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Why F1 Stewards are allowing cars to be run out of road at corner exit this term

(1/1)

John S:
Q. Wonder why all the forcing off track at Silverstone went unpunished? 

A. Change in rules of combat for drivers this season.

Seems though, as ever, it's clear as mud.  ::)

Jericoke:
I feel like this is a 'no win' sort of rule.

Plenty of participants and fans feel these moves are just 'part of racing', and penalizing drivers for hard driving will sterilize the sport into a dull Sunday drive.

However, plenty of participants and fans feel that if there is no fair racing, where every driver is given a safe opportunity to defend or overtake is the heart of the sport.

Personally, I fall into the second camp, but realize that it's very difficult to establish 'blame' in all instances (as we saw in the Austrian race, the drivers themselves have a very poor understanding of where their car is exactly, and these are the best in the world).  I would like more automation for detecting when a car is being 'squeezed' unfairly.  My personal road car can tell me if there's a car in my blindspot, or I'm about to hit something while parking, why can't an F1 car do that?  Even if the drivers aren't given that info, surely the stewards would be able to make decisions with it.

Monty:
The old tracks (deemed unsafe for F1) have barriers that make it impossible to overtake by ‘cutting’ the corner or forcing another driver wide. I think the rules should be applied as if barriers were in place. Therefore, the overtaking car would have to be more or less fully past by the time they reach the apex.
In general; common sense prevails. But really aggressive drivers (Verstappen comes to mind) just go into the corner far too fast, get alongside or even slightly ahead of the other driver but with their car basically out of control. The other driver has no option other than to go off the track and the ‘overtake’ is deemed legal. It’s crazy!!

Willy:
I lay this all at the feet of the FIA in trying to fix what was a mess last season with one extremely partial Race Director and now the job being split between two who do not have the same view of rules.

Alianora La Canta:
One of whom can't even stick to the same rules of engagement across the same weekend...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version