collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 496
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Austria 2022 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 823 times)

Offline Jericoke

Austria 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« on: July 11, 2022, 02:27:38 PM »
Heroes:
Charles LeClerc.  Always love a win that isn't 100% obvious from lights out.  Yes, the Ferrari was the superior machine, but the team still needed to manage the race to ensure a win.  We all know that isn't Ferrari's forte right now.  I even love how his go pedal problems demonstrated that while these are the finest racing machines on Earth, they're still slapped together with hopes and dreams to last 2 hours, not endure for decades.

Hamilton/Russel/Mercedes.  I doubt they'll enter the championship battle, but they do look like they could be in the hunt for wins.  They say the most important part of life is 'showing up', and that's what Mercedes is doing.  (Yes, I know they're contractually bound to 'show up', but they could settle for an almost inevitable third place and focus on next year's car instead of working on wins)

Mick Schumacher/Haas.  In the early parts of the season, it looked like a reckless driver working with a team more interested in 'survival' than actual racing.  Suddenly he's driving with maturity and skill, while the team seems to have their ducks in a row.  This is the team we expected to see ever since their surprising 2016 season.  And this is the driver we were hoping to see when the Schumacher name returned to the sport.  Bonus entry for K-Mag.  He drove well, but I think he's been the mentor Mick needed.  Good on the team to bring him back, and good on K-Mag for bringing something to the future of F1 (I'm sure Kevin would rather be finishing ahead of Mick, but hopefully he can look back on his career and point to 'unlocking' Mick as an accomplishment)

Zeroes
Whatever was going on with Alonso and Zhou prior to the sprint race.  Alonso's car still on jacks, Zhou's car dying in sight of the starting grid on the parade lap.

Track limits.  I get why track limits are there.  I get why they're enforced.  Given the number of drivers given warnings/penalties over track limits, there needs to be something changed.  If it's hard to tell in a 2022 car where the limits are, the cars need to be adjusted so the drivers can actually see where the limits are.  (My personal road car will warn me when I'm about to drift out of a lane, surely an F1 car can have the same technology as a soccer mom SUV?)

Maybe I'm biased towards Mercedes, but I felt like Perez's move was optimistic, and more of a 'racing incident' than Russel's fault.  The cars really should be able to withstand a little bumping given their size, and not to penalize optimistic/aggressive passing.

Aston Martin, Alpha Tauri:  what's going on with these teams?  They've gone from strong, race winning, midfield teams to basically filling out the numbers.  Gasly and Vettel are race winners, I don't think their skills have fallen off THAT far.  I don't feel like the other teams have gotten better, I feel like they've gotten worse.

Offline rmassart

Re: Austria 2022 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 05:09:48 PM »
I didn't see the race, but about the point on track limits: I'm sure every one of those drivers knows to the millimeter exactly where their car is with respect to the track limit. Sure in a battle with another driver they might break the limits without really meaning to, although I am sure they know what they did. In all other circumstances they need to be penalised. Monaco doesn't give you a second chance for going beyond the limit, why should Silverstone or anywhere else....

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 06:40:38 PM »
I didn't see the race, but about the point on track limits: I'm sure every one of those drivers knows to the millimeter exactly where their car is with respect to the track limit. Sure in a battle with another driver they might break the limits without really meaning to, although I am sure they know what they did. In all other circumstances they need to be penalised. Monaco doesn't give you a second chance for going beyond the limit, why should Silverstone or anywhere else....

None of the limits violations were cars driving off track to attack/defend, or cut chicanes or anything.  Just 4 wheels past the line (turn 10 I think?).

If one driver was getting wrong, sure, one bad driver, but at least half the grid went off track at least once, and a few drivers were given warnings, and at least one penalty was given.  The cars do 'change' over the course of a race.  Lighter fuel load, degrading tires, changeable weather conditions; so it's not as though the drivers had 70 identical laps, each time around it's a little different. It's true that street circuits punish anyone who breaks the track limits, but the limit is a highly visible wall, not an invisible white line.  They showed Hamilton's violation from the in car camera, and to me the car appears to be 2 wheels on the road.

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 10:37:44 AM »
Jeri’s. Moments echo my feelings.
Stewards/race directors have far too much influence on every race now. And my constant criticism is still there is no consistency. I fully agree that track limits must be enforced but the easy thing to do is make the the track unforgiving if you exceed the limit. At Red Bull Ring the kerbs could be made so harsh that the drivers would have to avoid them!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:00:03 PM »
The Red Bull Ring tried that and got a lot of broken cars including at least 1 cracked monocoque if I remember correctly. The teams complained and the curbs were changed for "Safety Reasons". Seems the world's best drivers are generally not quite sure where their cars are placed or what the car is going to do.
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 01:27:57 PM »
I recall the drivers complaining about the increased tire size at the season start and they can't see over the fronts.
This might be a factor in track limits or maybe they are just pushing really hard and are now getting dinged for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle