F1 News & Discussions > F1 Drivers

Piastri to Alpine... or Not?

(1/2) > >>

Jericoke:
As Alonso moves on to Aston Martin from Alpine, Alpine has announced that Oscar Piastri will join their line up from 2023.

Piastri followed up with an announcement that "...I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

I don't know if Piastri means not driving for Alpine AT ALL in 2023, or just nothing is official right now.

From what I've read, Alpine holds the rights to Piastri racing in F1, but is on record saying they'd let him race at McLaren.  I have no idea if those rights extend to 2023, or if that promise extends to 2023 and he's hoping to get Daniel Ricciardo's seat (which as far as I know is Daniel's right to take).

Is Piastri negotiating through the media?  Has the relationship soured?  Is this just a poorly worded tweet?  Is there a reason why no one wants to be at Alpine?

cosworth151:
And to complete this Aussie F1 trifecta, Mark Webber is part of Piastri's management team.

According to AutoWeek, Alpine had been in talks with Williams about loaning Piastri to them next season Alonso turned in his notice.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a40786047/piastri-rejects-alpines-offer-for-f1-seat-in-2023/

I can't understand this exodus from Alpine. They really look like a team on the rise.

Note to Otmar - I still haven't signed with anyone for next season. I know I'm not at the top of your list but at this rate you may have worked your way down to my by about a week from Saturday.

John S:
I've looked carefully at Piastri's tweet, it does definitely say he doesn't have a signed contract to drive for Alpine at this time. However the 'I will not be driving for Alpine next year' is as elastic as the FIA Tech Regs, e.g. which year will he not be driving - will he be back for 24 as he has 1 year loan deal - or simply add 'not at this time'; I'm sure you get the picture.

I think that Alpine (probably Szafnauer) have jumped the gun and released an unnecessarily hasty statement that Oscar is the contracted driver in the seat for 23. They/He knew Oscar and his management had other irons in the fire so why not wait and discuss everything, not least wages & terms a contract with Alpine for 23.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Seems Webber may be trying to manouvre a swap of Danny Ric to Alpine & Oscar in alongside Lando at Macca. He'd get double dibs as I believe he's involved in the management of both drivers.  ;)

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: John S on August 03, 2022, 04:10:37 PM ---
Seems Webber may be trying to manouvre a swap of Danny Ric to Alpine & Oscar in alongside Lando at Macca. He'd get double dibs as I believe he's involved in the management of both drivers.  ;)

--- End quote ---

This only makes sense if the drivers are getting paid more at the opposite team.  While I would believe McLaren paying Piastri more than Alpine, I don't see Alpine paying Ricciardo more than McLaren.  Unless there's a contract buy out involved, in which case McLaren is paying Ricciardo to race at Alpine.  However if it's that convoluted, surely Alpine would already be on board?

While I believe the scenario is possible, I can't help but feel that Ricciardo is getting the short end of the stick, which isn't a great look for Webber, unless it's about ensuring a multi year contract for Ricciardo.  (I believe Ricc would take less money for more time and count that as a good thing)

Or maybe everyone involved just wants to keep us talking for the summer break and everyone is in on it?

John S:
Also Jeri McLaren wont be the first team to have 3 drivers on their books for the same season, as long as they pay them there's no absolute right to drive either car. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version