collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 126
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Is 23 races in a season too many?

It'll be fine.
No it's too many.
I'll wait and see.
It's just for the money.
I want more.

Author Topic: 23 for 22?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Willy

Re: 23 for 22?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »
It matters not to me.
I don't get to watch live anyway so as long as F1 TV has them on, I can watch when I want.

Offline Monty

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
It is a bit odd to extend the calendar while putting further cost restrictions in place but I'm sure (if all the races actually take place) the teams will cope.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 12:16:12 PM »
The teams don't seem to be coping with the current calendar (visibly exhausted to the point of dropping performance 8 races before the end, with even a 2-week break not improving things), I don't see how they're magically going to cope better with more rounds.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 06:49:28 PM »
The teams don't seem to be coping with the current calendar (visibly exhausted to the point of dropping performance 8 races before the end, with even a 2-week break not improving things), I don't see how they're magically going to cope better with more rounds.

It won't be magical, it will be management.  F1  is very much a technical sport, but it's also a logistical one.  The teams who excel at the technical aspects tend to do better, but over a long season, whoever works out the logistics will find they have an edge. 

Part of Mercedes' successes over Ferrari was that the team kept more disciplined over the season than Ferrari did.  Red Bull seems to be pulling the same trick on Mercedes now.

There's always talk about F1 technology 'trickling down' to real world cars. F1 pit stops have been used as a template for complex procedures being coordinated.  Running an F1 team can also lead to new ways of running a high performance organization.  Maybe they don't need as many people at the track.  Maybe certain tasks can be rotated better so different people are traveling from weekend to weekend.

Or maybe it's not a solvable problem at all, and the teams will have to fight for a bigger cap to have enough people.  (More races should mean more money for the teams.  They've gotten together on issues before, they can do it again)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 11:55:08 AM »
My point is they haven't got the management to handle the current calendar. If one has too much of something, one cannot expect success by adding more of it. (Especially since, as far as I can tell, this is hitting everyone equally, and impairing the quality of competition equally. That's why I haven't put in a Heroes or Zeroes this time - it was such an unmemorable race for me that the only thing that jumped out was that everyone was too exhausted to do their best work, including the winner).

Note that teams are barred from rotating more than 10 staff in a year, and if exhaustion's an issue, more staff rather than less would be the staff-numbers-based way to alleviate it. It would require 60 more staff per team (plus 100% extra on the travelling staff of all other entities that are meant to do the whole calendar rather than one/a few rounds) and permission to do a full rotation every year (including drivers and team leaders) to work, along with the increase in permitted funding to pay for all that.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle