collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 158
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: USA 2021 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Jericoke

USA 2021 Heroes and Zeroes
« on: October 24, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »
Heroes:

Max Verstappen put in a great qualifying and race.  He and his team progressed over practice to make sure he had the best car when it counted.  During the race he used an aggressive strategy pitting early, knowing he would lose ground near the end of the race.  In the closing laps he put in perfect laps to keep Hamilton at bay when he had to.

With that said:  Verstappen tried to run Hamilton off the road at the start.  That was unsporting, unsafe, and while not against the rules, maybe should be.  If Hamilton didn't expect Max to pull such a BS move, there would have been a big crash, catching up who knows how many cars.

Hamilton:  drove a great race, Red Bull gave Verstappen a better race car.  Hamilton might've made a few tiny driving mistakes in the closing laps, but it was still a champion's race to be so far ahead of the pack.

Perez:  a strong third.  I think the Red Bull team misunderstood all the 'don't drink and drive' signs around the track.  I doubt that Perez would have been a factor if his drink bottle worked, but I think he would have been in a reasonable distances of Lewis, maybe a late threat for a fast lap.

Zeroes:
Bottas:  not a bad day by most standards, but as the teammate of a WDC contender, there really should be more.  Bottas is capable of doing fantastic things, but just not every time out.

Kimi:  I'm not sure why he spun out of the points, but still said to see Kimi spin out of the points.

France:  Only 3 DNF, but losing both French drivers and both French cars.  C'est dommage .  Even though both Canadians crashed into each other, they still finished!

Not sure:
Gio and Alonso fighting on track, passing off track.  It was entertaining, so 'heroes', but neither driver seemed to think they'd done something wrong, so 'zeroes'.

Offline Andy B

Re: USA 2021 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:43:15 PM »
First live race I have watched in awhile.
Merc are showing what the lack of development has done to their race pace so I hope it is worth it?
MV was looking the serious contender and seemed calm in the car.
LH in second did all the car would allow.
VB demonstrated why he lost his seat.
Entertaining in the midfield.
Ferrari still not quite there.
DR bettering LN is interesting why has that turned around suddenly?
KR retiring in six races is showing to be the right decision.
The issue of cars not being able to follow each other is a big issue I hope they have got the 2022 sums right?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:13:52 AM »
My memory's not that good, but I get the impression that Mercedes are losing the strategy race this season. They've made a number of weak decisions this year. Maybe they are not used to being under so much pressure from another team?

Once you're in the lead, why do you make the pit stop strategy one where you continually have to chase? Surely track position is everything. If they'd have come in first on both occasions surely they'd have won this race?

Well done to Red Bull and Verstappen - they put in a great race ending 1st and 3rd. As I understand it Mercedes stopped significantly developing their car months ago. If they lose this season because of that, I hope it will have been worth it next season...

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 08:58:08 PM »
Red Bull seems to have given Max a better car lately and he is taking advantage of that to extend his championship lead.
He is still a dirty driver and his run at Lewis at the start was proof of that.

The FIA has decided that they are going to penalize drivers for putting a wheel over the white lines here and there but are completely silent when a driver makes a decision to try to run at another driver and force them off.
Is it going to take a death before they come down hard on dirty driving tactics?

Lewis drove a good race with the gear he was given and might have been able to win from pole if Merc had reacted 1st instead of Red Bull for the 1st tire change.

Perez did his job well and had a thirsty day with a malfunctioning drinks system. He came in on the podium and what else can you ask from a teammate.

Bottas on the other hand was a non issue and did not offer any help to Lewis.

The Texas fans, all 400,000 of them were packed in tight with not a mask in sight. Covid? What's that?  Nature, do your thing.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 10:26:02 AM »
Heroes
Red Bull - the car is clearly now better than the Mercedes
Most of the mid-pack for some excellent racing (particularly Ricciardo)
Perez - driving while unwell and without water and doing a fantastic 'No. 2' role and helping Verstappen
Hamilton - in my opinion the best driver all weekend but now in a slightly inferior car
Zeros
Vertsappen - yes he drove well but still thought it was reasonable to try to 'bully' Hamilton off the track
Red Bull - for constantly questioning the legality of the Mercedes when their car is clearly the best on the track!
Schumacher (although not directly) - for giving Verstappen DRS on the last lap just as Hamilton was getting close enough for a proper attack
Some of the Texas celebrities - for those of you that didn't watch the Sky coverage this will make no sense; but for those of us that did; we saw Z-list celebrities who have no place on an F1 grid anyway, using their bodyguard goons to muscle Martin Brundle away from interviews.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 12:03:43 PM »
The FIA has decided that they are going to penalize drivers for putting a wheel over the white lines here and there but are completely silent when a driver makes a decision to try to run at another driver and force them off.

It's worse than that - they're penalising dirty driving at random. Alonso was a case in point today - he was penalised for running a car off the road once in the middle of the race but not the other time, even though the two incidents were nearly identical in all particulars (up to and including the rival he was doing it to).

If the drivers don't know where the line is because the written and practical boundaries are different, they'll push as far as they can due to the nature of the sport incentivising dirty driving that doesn't damage one's own car or send oneself off the track (and call any time they get told off for it "unfair" or words to that effect).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
Heroes:-

COTA, with its bumpy surface making more than one team scratch their heads, it seems to have delivered a real classic F1 race, party atmosphere great as well.

Max, and Red Bull for having the talent and balls to take on a high risk tyre strategy to win.

Vettel, for coming from the back and working well with the pit strategy, particularly liked his overtake thru the twisty stuff.

Zeros:-
Merc:- for getting it wrong on first day and needing to change floors on the cars as ride height system they use came back to bite them on bumpy track. This put them on backfoot all w/e and the strategy guys seem to have caught the same lethargy bug.

Alpha Tauri & Alpine:- both seemed unprepared for the US GP, come on guys get it sorted.

Williams drivers, where were you guys?????

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 06:35:10 PM »
Some of the Texas celebrities - for those of you that didn't watch the Sky coverage this will make no sense; but for those of us that did; we saw Z-list celebrities who have no place on an F1 grid anyway, using their bodyguard goons to muscle Martin Brundle away from interviews.

This is on Liberty/FOM.  They're the ones inviting VIPs onto the grid, they should be informing the VIPs their job is to be seen and talk to the F1 reporters.  Ben Stiller understood he was supposed to talk.  I think Brundle bungled his Q with Megan Thee Stallion though, he should have asked her about racing, not rapping.  (Liberty should be letting the VIPs AND reporters know the ground rules, so they're both prepared for an impromptu Q/A on live TV)

You really can tell which VIPs are actually happy to be there and which are filling some sort of contractual obligation.

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 08:56:09 AM »
Liberty/FOM should not invite these obscure nobodies; they should invite us - obviously!  ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 01:26:07 PM »
As far as that goes, why was Danica part of the commentary team?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »
As far as that goes, why was Danica part of the commentary team?

Part of diversity strategy Dare, loads of male ex drivers but they wanted a female for balance amongst the male line up of Jenson, Paul Di Resta & presenter Simon Lazenby.
Haven't you noticed SKY has put Natalie or Rachel in amongst the boys at most races this season, in comms box for practice sessions, jaw jaw sessions and even the post race reviews. Only thing they haven't done yet is grid walk - hey maybe they'd get a better reception than Brundle.  ;) 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »
But she has nothing to do with F1. If they just wanted an American female driver, regardless of what series, why not Lyn St James, Sarah Fisher, Courtney Force, Liz Halliday-Sharp, Janet Guthrie, Angelle Sampey........
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 02:58:17 PM »
But she has nothing to do with F1. If they just wanted an American female driver, regardless of what series, why not Lyn St James, Sarah Fisher, Courtney Force, Liz Halliday-Sharp, Janet Guthrie, Angelle Sampey........

Why not indeed.

But you'll have to ask SKY and each of those individual drivers about any contract clashes, or other reasons, why they were not given the gig.

I know you're not a Danica fan Cossie, you've made that clear on previous occasions. Well I'm not over enamoured with Brundle, but Sky still keep renewing his contract.  ::)
We don't all get what we want in F1 coverage, in fact most people will probably have issues at some time with broadcasters and their choices. - Hey maybe that's a good topic for discussion.     

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 04:22:34 PM »
They got Dancia because everyone knows who she is. She's
markable and everything is about money and rating. And Lynn
has to be around 80 now
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »
Danica was there as this race was probably being widely broadcast in America and most Americans who watch racing know who Danica is. Unlike Martin Brundle who they would probably have never heard of.
I don't care for either of them but my opinion does not carry much weight with Liberty. 
In fact, neither does yours.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle