collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Liberty Wants Spa to "Americanize"  (Read 3242 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Liberty Wants Spa to "Americanize"
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 01:15:24 AM »
Dutch newspaper Der Limberger claims to have seen a provisional 2023 calendar that does not include Spa or Paul Ricard. It does include tentative races in South Africa and Shanghai. Got to say the loss of Spa would temper my interest in F1 a lot. It has always bothered me that my country has such a tiny interest in history and tradition.
Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2022, 01:19:36 AM »
Dutch newspaper Der Limberger claims to have seen a provisional 2023 calendar that does not include Spa or Paul Ricard. It does include tentative races in South Africa and Shanghai. Got to say the loss of Spa would temper my interest in F1 a lot. It has always bothered me that my country has such a tiny interest in history and tradition.

My interest lessens every year. I hardly care who wins now.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 02:24:41 PM »
If true, that would suck but I will applaud Spa for standing up to Liberty.
I am also missing the German GP but that may be due to covid restrictions, I can't seem to keep them all straight.
I find I am less and less interested in watching new races in locations that offer a manufactured excitement for the masses.
Miami was horrible to watch and I feel a small bit of puke rising when I think of Las Vegas.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2022, 03:37:50 PM »

How can they possibly be going back to Saudi Arabia (yes, I know, $$$), surely after the drivers were effectively kidnapped to perform at the 2022 race, there will be some resistance to going back from the GPDA?

I'd miss Spa for sure, though F1 hasn't gone there every season, so hopefully it's a temporary departure.  If South Africa or Shanghai are on 'real' tracks, I'm all for it.  The ground effect cars seem to be best on purpose built tracks, not the street/temporary circuits we've been seeing.

As for a lack of American adherence to history/tradition, Europeans kind of obliterated American history, and the traditions they replaced it with are... best left in the past.  I'm glad we're moving past that.  It does make North Americans more interested in shiny/new things, but if that is our tradition, then why not?

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 07:29:42 PM »

How can they possibly be going back to Saudi Arabia (yes, I know, $$$), surely after the drivers were effectively kidnapped to perform at the 2022 race, there will be some resistance to going back from the GPDA?

So it's fine to race in places like US, Britain, France etc with constant terrorism threats in the countries but it's not ok to race in Saudi Arabia because of terrorist activity.  :nono:  :nono:
The Saudi security issue was from Iran backed Yemeni rebels, now if thats not terrorist activity we'll all need a new definition in so called Western democratic states.

Also F1 authorities have never pulled the Brazil race although they regularly have on going security issues with possible & actual attacks on race personnel around the approaches to the track in São Paulo.

I'd miss Spa for sure, though F1 hasn't gone there every season, so hopefully it's a temporary departure.  If South Africa or Shanghai are on 'real' tracks, I'm all for it.  The ground effect cars seem to be best on purpose built tracks, not the street/temporary circuits we've been seeing.

Not quite sure how how this would work Jeri, :swoon: you seem to be implying tracks should be chosen suit the cars rather than the crazy old fashioned heritage idea in F1 that teams construct cars to suit the tracks.  :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2022, 07:57:59 AM »

My interest lessens every year. I hardly care who wins now.

Sadly we are on the same road Dare I'm usually thinking of what race to go to next and I'm really not bothered and to be honest Silverstone was the first race I have seen live or even watched for ages.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »

So it's fine to race in places like US, Britain, France etc with constant terrorism threats in the countries but it's not ok to race in Saudi Arabia because of terrorist activity.  :nono:  :nono:
The Saudi security issue was from Iran backed Yemeni rebels, now if thats not terrorist activity we'll all need a new definition in so called Western democratic states.

Also F1 authorities have never pulled the Brazil race although they regularly have on going security issues with possible & actual attacks on race personnel around the approaches to the track in São Paulo.

Not quite sure how how this would work Jeri, :swoon: you seem to be implying tracks should be chosen suit the cars rather than the crazy old fashioned heritage idea in F1 that teams construct cars to suit the tracks.  :D

If the drivers ever collectively decided that USA, British or French tracks were unsafe to race at, and the government then forced them to race anyway, yeah, I'd support never racing there again.  It's not the attack that I was worried about, any public event can be the target of terrorism, it's the Saudi government response to the drivers wanting to leave.

(For the record, I'm sure the average Saudi citizen is a great person, and that most members of the government and royal family are upstanding human beings I would be proud to call friend given the opportunity.  The fact remains that the drivers were kidnapped and forced to race against their will.  Why risk doing that again?)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 03:34:59 PM »
I still can't quite imagine me giving up on F1, but there was a time when I couldn't have imagined giving up on NASCAR the way I have. I used to look forward to going to the USGP every year. I haven't gone since 2007. There are 3 U.S. Formula 1 dates on the schedule now but I have no interest in going to a cow pasture, a car park or a carnival sideshow.

Liberty is making much the same mistake that NASCAR made. They're throwing their long time fans under the bus to attract "fad fans." They dumped long time classic venues like Rockingham & North Wilksboro for cookie cutter Charlotte clones built outside of big cities. It worked for a short time. Then the fad fans move on to the next fad but the long time fan base is gone for good.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2022, 08:43:32 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more Cos.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 06:49:11 AM »
I used to watch everything. F1, Indycar, IMSA, Nascar, NHRA, Moto GP. If it had wheels and an engine I watched. I even watched Jet Boats. Now, I'm down to F1, an occasional Indycar, and an even rarer IMSA race. I miss it, but not as much as I thought I would. There's too much other stuff in the world and I have wide interests.
Lonny

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »
I used to watch everything. F1, Indycar, IMSA, Nascar, NHRA, Moto GP. If it had wheels and an engine I watched. I even watched Jet Boats. Now, I'm down to F1, an occasional Indycar, and an even rarer IMSA race. I miss it, but not as much as I thought I would. There's too much other stuff in the world and I have wide interests.

Gee Lonny I'm sure glad you've stayed with F1 like the rest of us, we'd miss an old critter like you around the place.  :-*
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2022, 05:59:53 PM »
Thanks John.

My first love was IndyCar. My Dad owned a service station. He was one of those people who was friends with everybody he ever met. He traded the Belond/AP muffler dealer for a model of the car that won the 500 in '57 and '58. I was over the moon. Coolest car I had ever seen. I followed Indy every way I could. Then in '62, I think, I was sick, tucked up in my parents' bed, clicking through the 4 TV channels we had when I stumbled across a broadcast of the GP at Spa. They seemed to have 1 camera across from the old pits. It picked up the cars out of Blanchimont, followed them around La Source, down to Eau Rouge and lost them at Radillon. The sight of those tidy little cars flashing between the trees on an ordinary country road absolutely mesmerized me. So much cooler than even Indy. I guess that's why I feel strongly about Spa. I even found Matchbox models of Clark's Lotus and Hill's BRM, which I still have. Through all the changes and drama down the years, it's still connected to those little 1500 cc beauties. But the connection grows weaker almost every year. If they fail to honor the past, the fantastic history, then it's not really my F1 anymore, is it?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 06:05:49 PM by lkjohnson1950 »
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2022, 09:14:55 PM »
I don't get how Saudi Arabia can be on the calendar when it proved last year that it doesn't even have an eligible track for them to race at! Surely if Liberty has so much influence that it can get that much money off the organiser, it can manage to persuade them to provide a track that is actually legal?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle