collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 141
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Toronto Indy 2022  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Jericoke

Toronto Indy 2022
« on: July 15, 2022, 09:38:36 PM »
I'll be attending the Toronto Indy this weekend.  I even got myself a paddock pass, we'll see how close I can get to Grosjean or maybe Zac Brown!

Offline Dare

Re: Toronto Indy 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 10:24:05 PM »
Have a good time and if you can take
some pictures.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 11:11:18 AM »
Hey Jeri have a great time, you lucky girl.  :good:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 04:07:28 PM »
Tell them you're the official correspondent for GP Wizard. That should get you all access.  ;)

Have fun!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 10:59:27 PM »
 :good: 

:DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 01:33:27 PM »
Tell them you're the official correspondent for GP Wizard. That should get you all access.  ;)

Have fun!

There was a lady there with photographer access, with the 'photo' jersey on and everything.  She was taking shots of the race on her iPhone.  Maybe getting journo credits isn't all that hard?

(It's possible she had real gear somewhere that was broken, confiscated or otherwise unavailable and she was just doing her best)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 05:55:38 PM »
Maybe PenskeCar is getting to be like F1 - enough money will get you anything.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 06:07:01 PM »
But did you have a good time Jeri? Never mind the press credentials, we're dying to know how it went as an experience.
Oh - and was the racing good?  :D

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 06:41:00 PM »
We had a fantastic time at the race!

It's been a while since I've seen racing live (2015 in Montreal, and what I remember most from that race was how the McLaren Hondas sounded like a bag of wrenches compared to the other cars). 

What really surprised me is how much of a monster a modern IndyCar is.  There were several support series, including sports cars and junior open wheel categories.  The Indycars were much louder, of course, but also much larger.  As the support series lay down rubber, you could see that the IndyCar racing line would straddle the other cars' line. 

Also, somehow the IndyCars just looked better.  The paint jobs, clear coat and polish made the cars look like a million bucks compared to even the million dollar sports cars.  We had paddock passes, so we could see the cars up close, but the paddock in Toronto is indoors, and the cars looked okay inside, but magical in the sunlight.

We were seated in turn 11, right across from the pits.  I submit there is nothing more heartstopping in the world of sport than watching 20+ IndyCars come into the pitlane during a yellow flag.  The pit boxes and crew are working mere meters (yards) apart, the cars are coming and going.  It's a ballet, yet completely out of control, but it also works. 

The paddock passes were great. 

1)  The paddock was indoors, so a chance to get out of the sun (still got a burn anyway, cursed Scottish heritage!) 

2)  The 'garage' areas are fully open, you can see everything going on.  True, IndyCars are 'spec', so there's no secrets like F1, but still, fans can be part of it, rather than walled off.

3) I didn't get any selfies, but got to meet with Colton Herta, Simon Pagenaud, Takuma Sato and Al Unser Jr.  Each and every one of them seemed as pleased to be there meeting fans in passing, understanding that they're there for us, just as we're there for them.  (Never got my chance to meet Zach Brown, wasn't even sure he was there)

The racing itself was pretty good.  Honestly, if you're interested in the race itself, watching from home is a better experience.  On track, the only 'real' action I saw with my own eyes (outside of the pits, which was fantastic to watch), was Grosjean hitting the wall during practise.  Turn 11 is just before the start/finish straight, so mostly was cars winding up for the straightaway.

Over all it was fun, I'm sure we'll go back.  Going to Toronto was a 'consolation' for not being able to get to Montreal this year.  Maybe we'll try another track next year.  Watkins Glen and Detroit aren't any further than Montreal for a road trip

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 09:51:15 PM »
Tough to photograph race cars with a cell phone, but this is what I got:

https://www.gpwizard.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=58;u=1495

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 10:25:16 AM »
Thanks for the report and the gallery of photos Jeri.  :good:

With a detailed report like that you most certainly are our GPWiz correspondant for Canada. ;)

Seems like you enjoyed it too, which is even better.  :good:  :good:

You can always rely on 'Wrecker Romain' to entertain the crowd with an off.  :DD

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 03:26:29 PM »
Great stuff, Jeri. Thanks!  :good:

The Glen is one of the most beautiful racing venues that you will ever see, and a great circuit too. Detroit has lots of off track stuff to do and see. Next year will be an all new downtown circuit.

In either case, you can take the yellow "rookie stripes" off your camera phone next year.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 09:38:51 PM »
So I always look over my monthly Google activity log (that's where Google shows you just how much they're tracking you), and I noticed that it had me spending time in Ohio, specifically Lexington.  I definitely hadn't left the country, much less gone to Lexington. 

I looked it up, and I'm sure some of you know exactly what's in Lexington:  Mid Ohio Raceway.  The time it thought I was there was time I was actually at the Toronto Indy.  Did my Wi-Fi get caught up on some Indy infrastructure that was still associated with Ohio?  Did Google get confused about where the Toronto Indy is?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 12:58:28 PM »
So I always look over my monthly Google activity log (that's where Google shows you just how much they're tracking you), and I noticed that it had me spending time in Ohio, specifically Lexington.  I definitely hadn't left the country, much less gone to Lexington. 

I looked it up, and I'm sure some of you know exactly what's in Lexington:  Mid Ohio Raceway.  The time it thought I was there was time I was actually at the Toronto Indy.  Did my Wi-Fi get caught up on some Indy infrastructure that was still associated with Ohio?  Did Google get confused about where the Toronto Indy is?

Or does someone at Google prefer NASCAR and screws with INDY Car locators.   ;) :D :tease:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 05:05:45 PM »
You should have told me you were coming here to Ohio.  ;)

Mid Ohio was the race before Toronto. My guess would be that someone at IndyCar forgot to program the location change into one or more of their portable WiFi hot spots to reflect the move.

― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle