collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 106
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso confirmed at Aston Martin for vacant 23 F1 seat!  (Read 1650 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline rmassart

Re: Alonso confirmed at Aston Martin for vacant 23 F1 seat!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 11:33:14 AM »
Replace one ageing ex world champion with another. What can possibly go wrong?

Seriously though, whilst I can see the attraction for Aston Martin to have someone with Alonso's experience in the team, I can't see what would motivate Alonso to take what appears to be a big step backwards. Except of course a hefty retirement payout....

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 02:35:55 PM »
Ferd still has the desire to race and feels Aston Martin is s a step up so why not.
He may not realize the level of control Lawrence Stroll has and that may be an issue for him.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 03:35:16 PM »
Even more than his great driving skills, Alonso will always be remembered for consistently moving to the wrong team at the wrong time.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 07:47:54 PM »
Even more than his great driving skills, Alonso will always be remembered for consistently moving to the wrong team at the wrong time.

That was my first thought. If he didn't get along with Dennis I
wonder how Strong will work out?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 09:12:49 PM »

Got that right. Alpine seems right on the edge of moving to the front ranks while Aston has slipped right to the tail of the field. And Alpine seems committed to Ferd in a way that seems unlikely for Aston.  :DntKnw: :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 09:59:53 PM »
I think Aston's getting the better end of this deal. Especially if Fernando actually believes what he said about Aston having the most serious attitude to winning. I'm an Aston Martin fan and even I don't believe that...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 10:08:37 PM »
He’s got a heap of cars in his garage, and now he wants an Aston.  Can you blame him?  Multi-million salary and free cars!  People just keep throwing contracts at him.

Or maybe he’s just an FIA paid spy and he’s going to get some dirt on Stroll Sr so the FIA can fine him a couple hundred million.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 10:10:33 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 10:17:50 PM »
Maybe Alpine wasn't going to renew his contract? Or at least he thought they weren't.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »
Maybe Alpine wasn't going to renew his contract? Or at least he thought they weren't.

Alpine would only offer a one year deal Lonny with no option clause for a 2nd year either.  This came from the top man, Alpine CEO, Laurant Rossi who overuled the team personnel.

Aston have given Nando a multi year deal no 'ifs or buts'.  |-(
Nando loves to be loved,  ;)  although I'm sure his management (is it still Flavio?) has a really keen eye on that bottom line.  :D

Hey maybe Alonso is after record for lifetime driver earnings in F1 since he may not get another win, let alone another WDC.  :DD
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:10:51 PM by John S »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
I was sort of hoping to see Lance Stroll move into a 'mentor' position.

Even the most optimistic fan of Stroll must admit he's not on course to win a championship.  He's a solid racer though, I think he's good enough to be in F1.  Racing with WDC Vettel doesn't seem to have upped his game though.  Similarly, I don't know that Alonso has ever 'elevated' a teammate.  Stroll has always been the 'junior driver', even in his father's team.  Why not make him the 'senior driver' and see if that responsibility ups his game?

Alternatively, someone must expect the money poured into AM will start paying off in the next 2 seasons?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 04:36:01 PM »
I was sort of hoping to see Lance Stroll move into a 'mentor' position.

Even the most optimistic fan of Stroll must admit he's not on course to win a championship.  He's a solid racer though, I think he's good enough to be in F1.  Racing with WDC Vettel doesn't seem to have upped his game though.  Similarly, I don't know that Alonso has ever 'elevated' a teammate.  Stroll has always been the 'junior driver', even in his father's team.  Why not make him the 'senior driver' and see if that responsibility ups his game?

Alternatively, someone must expect the money poured into AM will start paying off in the next 2 seasons?

Hey Jeri, suppose Stroll Snr wants to drop Lance but for family reasons can't?   :crazy: :crazy: I know but bear with me, even Billionaires want a happy home life.  ;)

First he recruits 4 x WDC Vettel to blow Lance away on track....however it doesn't quite work out. Then Vettel retires.  |-(

Now he's hoping 2 x WDC Alonso will pee all over Stroll Jnr and he can safely replace him without too much hassle at home...... jobs a good un!  ;) :D :DD

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 07:22:07 PM »
I don't think that's what Lawrence Stroll is thinking. He is trying pretty hard to keep Lance happy.

Lance might well make a good mentor later, but if he's happy to remain an apprentice (which is likely given he was a Fernando fan when he was younger and it's a valid call for him to still be a student of his craft), then Fernando will help him by example. As long as Fernando doesn't teach Lance how to diss his boss, everything should be fine.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle