collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 90
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Piastri to Alpine... or Not?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Jericoke

Piastri to Alpine... or Not?
« on: August 02, 2022, 08:48:33 PM »
As Alonso moves on to Aston Martin from Alpine, Alpine has announced that Oscar Piastri will join their line up from 2023.

Piastri followed up with an announcement that "...I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

I don't know if Piastri means not driving for Alpine AT ALL in 2023, or just nothing is official right now.

From what I've read, Alpine holds the rights to Piastri racing in F1, but is on record saying they'd let him race at McLaren.  I have no idea if those rights extend to 2023, or if that promise extends to 2023 and he's hoping to get Daniel Ricciardo's seat (which as far as I know is Daniel's right to take).

Is Piastri negotiating through the media?  Has the relationship soured?  Is this just a poorly worded tweet?  Is there a reason why no one wants to be at Alpine?

Offline cosworth151

Re: Piastri to Alpine... or Not?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 03:29:19 PM »
And to complete this Aussie F1 trifecta, Mark Webber is part of Piastri's management team.

According to AutoWeek, Alpine had been in talks with Williams about loaning Piastri to them next season Alonso turned in his notice.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a40786047/piastri-rejects-alpines-offer-for-f1-seat-in-2023/

I can't understand this exodus from Alpine. They really look like a team on the rise.

Note to Otmar - I still haven't signed with anyone for next season. I know I'm not at the top of your list but at this rate you may have worked your way down to my by about a week from Saturday.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 04:10:37 PM »
I've looked carefully at Piastri's tweet, it does definitely say he doesn't have a signed contract to drive for Alpine at this time. However the 'I will not be driving for Alpine next year' is as elastic as the FIA Tech Regs, e.g. which year will he not be driving - will he be back for 24 as he has 1 year loan deal - or simply add 'not at this time'; I'm sure you get the picture.

I think that Alpine (probably Szafnauer) have jumped the gun and released an unnecessarily hasty statement that Oscar is the contracted driver in the seat for 23. They/He knew Oscar and his management had other irons in the fire so why not wait and discuss everything, not least wages & terms a contract with Alpine for 23.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Seems Webber may be trying to manouvre a swap of Danny Ric to Alpine & Oscar in alongside Lando at Macca. He'd get double dibs as I believe he's involved in the management of both drivers.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 04:40:42 PM »

Seems Webber may be trying to manouvre a swap of Danny Ric to Alpine & Oscar in alongside Lando at Macca. He'd get double dibs as I believe he's involved in the management of both drivers.  ;)

This only makes sense if the drivers are getting paid more at the opposite team.  While I would believe McLaren paying Piastri more than Alpine, I don't see Alpine paying Ricciardo more than McLaren.  Unless there's a contract buy out involved, in which case McLaren is paying Ricciardo to race at Alpine.  However if it's that convoluted, surely Alpine would already be on board?

While I believe the scenario is possible, I can't help but feel that Ricciardo is getting the short end of the stick, which isn't a great look for Webber, unless it's about ensuring a multi year contract for Ricciardo.  (I believe Ricc would take less money for more time and count that as a good thing)

Or maybe everyone involved just wants to keep us talking for the summer break and everyone is in on it?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 01:07:53 PM »
Also Jeri McLaren wont be the first team to have 3 drivers on their books for the same season, as long as they pay them there's no absolute right to drive either car. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 01:38:16 AM »
Since Alpine appears to have taken a small step forward and is best of the mid field halfway through the season, I'm puzzled why everyone is running away from them. What do they know that we don't?
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 01:57:30 PM »
It occurred to me that maybe Webber's real target for Oscar is Sauber(presently Alfa Romeo). Rumour mill strongly suggests that Audi is far along in negotiations to buy the team as their works entry for 26.

Now a young hotshoe can spend the next few years getting experience under his belt and be in a full works team for 26.

We all seem to agree main big 3 teams, RBR, Merc & Ferrari have their seats tied up with current drivers, or development youngsters coming thru - so no chances there for some time, if ever, for Piastri.

Audi is bound to put resources necessary into team, they wont want to be back markers. Long term gamble maybe for a young driver, but it could pay off.

After all will Renault make any better job of the new gen engine for 26 than they have for the present gen & the previous 2014 one.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
Also Jeri McLaren wont be the first team to have 3 drivers on their books for the same season, as long as they pay them there's no absolute right to drive either car.

My concern isn't teams stockpiling drivers, but rather Webber's management clearly favouring one of his drivers at the cost of another.

McLaren having 3 F1 drivers under contract does open up a few questions though.  Since driver contracts aren't part of the budget cap, in theory a 'rich' team could simply sign 3 or more top drivers just to deny them racing for competing teams.  Wouldn't be a good look in the court of public opinion, but gaining a place or two in the WCC might be worth it.

Or why not rotate drivers?  Teams traditionally use 2 drivers for a full season, barring injuries or sponsorship issues, but a healthy team not chasing a WDC could certainly bring in more sponsorship with a rotating team of 3 drivers.  Imagine having a driver available out of the car all weekend for press duties, but also to consult as an expert about what the drivers in the car might be going through on track in real time.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 06:40:32 PM »
Since Alpine appears to have taken a small step forward and is best of the mid field halfway through the season, I'm puzzled why everyone is running away from them. What do they know that we don't?

That the boss is new and appears to be the sort of boss who needs someone else supervising them to make the right decisions? (Otmar is a very good deputy boss, but was chafing under the "two popes" system at Aston Martin... ...unfortunately has made quite a few calls this season that appear to suggest the gap between deputy boss and actual boss is proving difficult to bridge).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle