collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 130
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Piastri to Mclaren?  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Dare

Piastri to Mclaren?
« on: August 05, 2022, 02:58:26 PM »
Is Danny R out or maybe a move to Alpine or Haas

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-daniel-ricciardo-oscar-piastri/

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Piastri to Mclaren?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »
Daniel has certainly not performed to expectations at McLaren. The car is clearly optimized for Norris. Still, it's hard to believe their driving styles are so different that DR can't get up to speed. Despite that, I would strongly disapprove of them forcing him out early. They would lose my support, at least for a while. DR is my favorite largely because he seems to be the only driver having fun. Returning to Alpine would be awkward at the least.   :DntKnw::DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 09:28:37 PM »
I don't want to see DR leave the sport, but F1 is very much a 'what have you done for me lately' place.  If you can't win/do well on track, you need to bring in sponsors.  I can't imagine DR has trouble bringing in sponsors, but I can't see McLaren's bottom line, so maybe he's not bringing in what they had hoped?

Alpine really isn't the team that he left, so maybe not so awkward to return, if that's what they're going for.  There's a lot of young talent waiting in the wings for F1, and clearly Alpine was hoping to have one of them driving for them in 2023.  I'm not sure we'll see Ricciardo there.

I wish there were more F1 teams, to make room for the drivers we love and the ones we want to see!

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 02:02:42 PM »
Piastri is now officialy a Mclaren driver for 23, FIA contracts recognition board ratifies his contact with Macca.  |-(

"RacingNews365.com understands that Piastri has a contract with Alpine for 2022, but not for 2023. His 2022 deal is said to contain an option on Piastri's services for 2023, but that option was not exercised within the required 30 days of signing that contract.

The FIA's contract recognition board ruled that there was no valid contract between Alpine and Piastri before 2023, leaving McLaren free to agree a deal with the Australian.

Piastri's deal with McLaren was said to have been finalised on the evening of July 30, before Fernando Alonso's move to Aston Martin was confirmed on August 1.

Under Formula 1's regulations, Alpine cannot challenge the board's decision, as F1 teams have previously unanimously decided that it is the highest body that can rule on contractual matters."
Courtesy Racingnews365.com, 5th August 22.

Bet there'll be some tough questions to be answered at Alpine as to how this whole saga happened to leave them with an empty race seat yet have all the expense of preparing Oscar for F1. Not only that, to rub salt in, I'm fairly sure they have commitments to Oscar til end of this year from his existing contract with them at Enstone for 22.  :swoon:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 05:41:02 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 10:45:55 AM »
This reply is as much a test to check that I can as well as wanting place a comment.

If DR was to perform equal or close to LN then McLaren would not be looking to replace him.
Survival of the fittest!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 02:54:54 PM »
Now seems the plot thickens even more in the Piastri/Macca/Alpine saga:-

The latest twist, Auto Hebdo reports that the FIA contract recognition board has ruled that both contracts (Macca & Alpine) are valid.  :o :swoon: ::)

With the matter seemingly destined for a date in the High Court, just what this latest development means for Piastri is unclear.

Thought the contract recognition board were final arbiter on such matters not overpaid fence sitters.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 11:50:51 PM »
According to Slipstream on YouTube, Danny R's contract has a clause that says Macca can't release him without his permission. They would have to pay him a 21M penalty and he will sue to get it.

Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle