collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 115
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The importance of logic in computer games  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

The importance of logic in computer games
« on: August 11, 2022, 05:18:16 PM »
I'm currently reading some advice on how to make better computer games, based on their reviews. I offer the following examples of how to do it wrong in interactive fiction (names of games withheld to protect the guilty, since none of them are commercial):

"You can go down a chimney and come out in a room with no fireplace — how exactly does that work?"

"I’m heading into a potentially dangerous situation without any equipment or precautions at all. Shouldn’t I have a spacesuit in case the base is out of air or contaminated with germs or radioactivity? Shouldn’t I also have a flashlight, a medical kit, a radio transmitter, and a weapon?"

"[I failed because] I hadn’t bothered taking all the useless junk from earth (I’m sneaking on board a spaceship! Why, in the name of all that’s holy, would I bring a mop?)"

"I can’t help including this quote: "You are aware that the club is silent, except for the loud music still playing."

Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

Re: The importance of logic in computer games
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 05:07:34 PM »
I don't think even the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" would cover carrying a mop into space, Ali.  :-[
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 06:18:02 PM »
I don't think even the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" would cover carrying a mop into space, Ali.  :-[

Clearly neither of you are au fait with the 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy'.  ::)

A mop is obviously the sort a random object that's likely to turn out really useful in any one of the infinite improbabilities that arise when moving across time & space in ours & other universes.  ;) :D  |-(

And just in case you don't believe me I suggest you consult 'Marvin the Paranoid Android' a ships computer in said Sci-Fi book/series, after all Marvin claims he is 50,000 times more intelligent than a human.  :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 05:28:48 PM »
Clearly neither of you are au fait with the 'Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy'.  ::) 

"Don't Panic!"   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 10:22:30 PM »
Ah, but if I have a towel, why would I also need a mop?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 02:51:28 PM »
Ah, but if I have a towel, why would I also need a mop?

I think the operative word in your original question Alia is 'games', since when have games made logical sense?
Try working out the logic of Cricket, I have many times and found no resolution.  :D

I refer you to my previous answer - ask Marvin, he's a computer.   :DD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 02:55:08 PM by John S »

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 08:18:10 PM »

But even the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy computer game doesn't require taking a mop of all things into space! (Four bits of pocket fluff, yes. But there's hinting in the game as to why they have to leave Earth...)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 09:38:45 PM »
Computer game bug: jumping over a pit is supposed to have a 50% chance of getting to the other side and 50% of a game over. But due to a bug, there's a 50% chance of jumping back to the start of the game with all statistics and items retained. Result: it is 30 minutes quicker to fail to jump over the pit than to succeed (even though the latter is the intended solution).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 10:51:54 PM »
I'd give up playing, or analyzing computer games Alia, life is too short.  ;)

Unless you're into self flagelation of course.  :o :crazy: :nono:

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 06:39:35 PM »
But I find these glitches funny, that's why I put them in the humour section of the forum :D

Plus it makes me feel better when I accidentally program a bug into my game that allows the character to eat 360 grilled cheese sandwiches in a row... (the character was meant to eat 1 and then carry on with the evening).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2022, 09:28:25 PM »
But I find these glitches funny, that's why I put them in the humour section of the forum :D

Plus it makes me feel better when I accidentally program a bug into my game that allows the character to eat 360 grilled cheese sandwiches in a row... (the character was meant to eat 1 and then carry on with the evening).

Because eating 360 grilled cheese sandwiches in a row is something I, as a normal person, would never do.   :-*

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 10:59:20 PM »

Because eating 360 grilled cheese sandwiches in a row is something I, as a normal person, would never do.   :-*

But 360 White Castles in a row might just be doable.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 09:42:06 PM »

But 360 White Castles in a row might just be doable.  ;)

If we had White Castle where I lived, I'm sure I'd be dead by now lol

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2022, 01:18:38 PM »
Not sure I could manage 360 pecan nuts let alone finger food burgers or cheese toasties.  :P

I'd give macadamia nuts a go  :good: - if only I could find a big enough bag at sensible price.  :'(  They're nearly as dear & scarce as slices of truffles in Britain.  :o

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2022, 01:35:28 PM »
Not sure I could manage 360 pecan nuts let alone finger food burgers or cheese toasties.  :P

I'd give macadamia nuts a go  :good: - if only I could find a big enough bag at sensible price.  :'(  They're nearly as dear & scarce as slices of truffles in Britain.  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle