collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Training could be going better  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Training could be going better
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »
Good on you Ali, glad you're ok.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »
That was a hectic 48 hours!

- 8:30 pm on Saturday night - got an email during the Petit Le Mans to say "You must pick up your racing bib last Thursday". Do I look like a Time Lord, organisers?

- 7 am yesterday morning - went to venue early. Turns out 400 of the 550 competitors didn't pick up their bibs (the others having presumably paid extra to have their bib posted) so the sheepish organisers had the bibs in their tent. Phew!

- 9 am yesterday morning - the race was supposed to start. And didn't.

- 9:20 am - it finally began, the delay being due to clearing traffic from the dual carriageway and surrounding roads. The first mile went quite well.

Then we entered the market. I tripped on a cobble, one of my drinks bottles fell off and I landed on my back. Oh, and someone clipped my ankle as I hit the floor. Thankfully, I was racing in my "I'm not being awkward, I'm autistic" top, so no silly assumptions got made about me this time. Also, it turned out I had no significant injuries and, after a quick self-check, I was able to get up and run.

I made it to the dual carriageway, 3 miles into the race, just before the roadsweeper did (the roads were re-opened after the roadsweeper, which was set to the minimum permitted race completion pace). I managed to get a 5-minute lead on the roadsweeper over the following 7 miles.

A quick visit to the toilet meant the roadsweeper caught up again. However, it turned out that the roadsweeper had been instructed to increase its speed until encountering the last runner. So it was explained to me that while they'd prefer me to get to the end as fast as possible (it was a road race, and besides, nobody would complain about roads being re-opened early if no runner required it closed), the roadsweeper did have leeway to go slightly slower than my previous pace and still have the roads re-opened in time.

I eventually finished, grinning, with arms spread out and flailing, in a time of 3 hours, 23 minutes and 19 seconds. This was in last position, by a margin of just under 2 minutes. I was so happy that I hugged the nearest photographer :D

I am now seriously considering doing another half-marathon this year... ...but not until my quads and shoulder blades have stopped aching ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
Brilliant, well done, love the description of the day. My longest hand marathon turned in to 17 miles. I walked to the railway station to get the train only to be told that the last train had gone, a minutes panic and staring round wondering and generally swearing to myself.
Nothing for it, run home, just over 2 miles. Then jump in car, drive to Newcastle and find a parking space on the wrong side of town. Another run, this time just under 2 miles and on to the start line with very little time to spare, then off on the official half marathon. 
Glad you finished and glad you enjoyed it. See you on the start line for the great north run in a couple of years.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »
Congratulations, Ali! Well done!  :good:

It sounds like quite an adventure. Thanks for keeping us updated. The big thing is that you did finish, and that you're going to do it again. I'm sure you do even better next time!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »
Well done Alia. You are tops.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »
Way to go Ali!  And wonderfully told.  Hope the shoulder heals quickly.

:good: :good: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »
well done Ali, great fighting spirit, proud of you.  :-*
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for the congratulations  :-[

My longest hand marathon turned in to 17 miles. I walked to the railway station to get the train only to be told that the last train had gone, a minutes panic and staring round wondering and generally swearing to myself.
Nothing for it, run home, just over 2 miles. Then jump in car, drive to Newcastle and find a parking space on the wrong side of town. Another run, this time just under 2 miles and on to the start line with very little time to spare, then off on the official half marathon.

Phew! That was a very tough five-eighths-marathon, Steve!

The big thing is that you did finish, and that you're going to do it again. I'm sure you do even better next time!

I hope so. 2017's plan revolves around doing races I didn't get to do this year (Donington 5k is the big example, but there'll be others), and reprising the Silverstone 10k.

I plan to do something at my local race, which is on September 24 next year. It won't be the full marathon, which they hope to be able to do next year (the half-marathon headlined this year due to local and competitor objections to the proposed full-marathon route*). However, I'm open to it being either me doing the complete half-marathon... ...or joining with some friends to do the 2- or 4-person relay versions. At this point the former looks more likely, especially since I want to decide before the early-bird discount closes in 2 weeks.

There are two half-marathons near me in 2016 - one on Halloween 15 miles away, and an easier-to-reach one about 5 miles away towards the end of November. Depending on how fast I shake off the aches from this race, I may elect to do one of them. (Not both. I'm not quite that fit/brave/stupid yet).

Hope the shoulder heals quickly.

I believe it will. The aches I have, from what I've read, are typical of rookie runners doing a new distance and will heal as part of the natural recovery process. My plan is to avoid the gym and roads this week (except for a little light walking to get to places and, later this week, some light swimming) and then see where I am (I expect next week to be a light week and then after that to resume regular training).

* - The local objections were because it effectively shut entire neighbourhoods off for nearly a whole day, and the competitor objections were because the route had an unusually large number of hills (there were nearly 200 m of elevation on the half-marathon route, and the full-marathon version was almost half a kilometre. Only routes deliberately advertised as hilly tend to be that hilly, and my local race isn't).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline BraydenSoh

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
Good job Ali! Running is never about where you finish but the process of getting to the end (including all the hard work you put in during training)! Keep on training and who knows, maybe you will get addicted and try for a full marathon! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I would recommend you do some light stretching before you sleep so as to ease the muscles. Rest for 2-3days and try to go out for a recover run. It helps alot in my case.
'The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »
If I go more than two days without getting on my bike the next time is painful.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle