collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 340
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Library Complaint (one for Ali)  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Library Complaint (one for Ali)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
You waited long enough for this Ali, enjoy it love.  :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
Congrats on the job.  I am very pleased for you.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 10:51:01 PM »
Congrats on the job Ali, give it a day or two and I'm sure you will be running the joint!  :good:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline romephius

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 09:07:37 AM »
Congrats Ali, I'm really happy for you too.... now you have a perfect excuse for not getting far in KOTOR.... LOL... enjoy and well done to you

Rom  :yahoo: :good: :yahoo:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 11:42:24 AM »
Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. I had a really good day yesterday, apart from a slight glitch at the start of the day. I got shown round the mobile library (which I'm working on one day a fortnight - once they've arranged somewhere for me to sit), the static part of the library and the assorted offices. Then I did the usual jobs of sorting out shelves, helping people join the library, cut out paper footballers and of course issuing and returning books.

Since it is quite funny in retrospect, here is the "slight glitch" [names have been changed to avoid embarrassment]:

I got a letter on Sunday (strange in itself) with the instructions to go to the library to meet a senior member of library staff for induction at 9am sharp; let's call her Polly.

I arrived at the library at 8:45am and waited... ...and waited.

At 9:10am, a member of staff arrived, wearing a badge labelled "Library Manager". Let's call him Bob.

He asked me what I was doing at the library 20 minutes before it officially opened. It turns out this is unusual behaviour for a library user. Once I'd told him I was the new member of staff and not a library user, he was quite surprised.

He told me he wasn't expecting me until 1pm (my normal start time on a Monday). Half-expecting this after some of my other experiences with the organisational side of this particular organisation, I produced the letter.

When he got to the bit saying I was to meet Polly, he laughed. It turned out she was in Scotland for a two-week holiday. This is slightly far from where I was working to arrange a quick commute. At this point, Bob phoned up Human Resources for an explanation, and then started the induction himself.

20 minutes later, Sarah turned up. She was the big boss when it came to libraries. She agreed that my letter was not a forgery, and then spent 10 minutes phoning around to find anyone who had any idea this letter existed - without success. She also discovered that every senior manager except Polly was stuck in meetings.

So she shrugged her shoulders, refused to give me a return plane ticket to Oban for the purposes of the induction, approved of Bob continuing the induction and giving me four hours of overtime as a result, issued a few books and left.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:44:05 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline romephius

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »
Great way to start your first day.... with approved overtime.... well done Ali... glad your loving it

Rom

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »
Congrats, Ali. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Hope it's everything you thought it would be! :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 03:32:44 PM »
Hilarious Ali, it's always fun finding out your bosses are an unorganized and incompetent bunch...makes them that much easier to manipulate to your advantage.  Good luck!
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »
Good news: I'm settling in well and getting on top of the common tasks.
Bad news: I've got homework - I need to research the alphabets of the five Asian languages in the library... ...because apparently I'm the first librarian at this particular library to attempt to organise that section.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 11:44:09 PM »
I am glad you are settling in and enjoying it. 

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
Well done Ali - keep up the good work!  :good:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
Glad it's going ok Ali :good:

Neil.P

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »
Sounds like you're doing very well, Ali. Best of luck on you journey into alphabetical terra incognita. :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »
I've succeeded in the linguistic terra incognita journey, having now got a three-page "cheat sheet" for sorting the Hindi, Gujurati, Urdu, Bengali and Punjabi/Panjabi languages into the order someone who reads those languages natively would expect. Would you believe that all Bengali vowels start with K when romanised?

Tomorrow, I would like to test it out - but we've got two children's events on in the library, so we'll probably need all staff hands on deck and delay experiments with rookie assistant librarian's experimental documentation until later in the week.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
Congrats Ali, hope it's all you expected.

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Did you hear that the library in Tucson had to close? Somebody stole the book, and it wasn't even colored in yet!!
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle