collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: School bus  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: School bus
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »
Damn I is intelligent.

Just out of curiosity how were those of us on this side of the pond supposed to get the answer to that question without help?

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 09:22:41 PM »
Damn I is intelligent.

Just out of curiosity how were those of us on this side of the pond supposed to get the answer to that question without help?
\

youcould have said the bus was gpoing to the right
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »
Jeez, think I'd better go back to pre-school.  :-[
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »
Jeez, think I'd better go back to pre-school.  :-[

then we would have to change the question to which
way is the wagon heading
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »
You has all going Dare  >:D

::)
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »
The door is on the left of the bus on this side of the pond as well, since it's on the same side as the pavement. You wouldn't want the children to pour out into the middle of the road...

That said, the bus could have been reversing - in fact due to parallax (the window-stretching I referred to in my original answer), it should be going right. Since the door remains on the other side of the bus, it would therefore not be going forwards.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »
The door is on the left of the bus on this side of the pond as well, since it's on the same side as the pavement. You wouldn't want the children to pour out into the middle of the road...

That said, the bus could have been reversing - in fact due to parallax (the window-stretching I referred to in my original answer), it should be going right. Since the door remains on the other side of the bus, it would therefore not be going forwards.

huh :o

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 11:27:42 AM »
Sorry for confusing you, dare.

Parallax is one of the ways we use to spot the distances between ourselves and objects. If you move, any object you observe will change shape slightly. This is particularly noticeable if one of your eyes is shut (part of the reason humans have two eyes is because one image cancels out the other, aiding accurate measurement of moving objects). One form of parallax is how the object appears to change compared to the background when the observer moves.

Anyway, things elongate as they move (at least to the eye). The longer something is, the faster it is going. Unequal stretching means that it is travelling in a specific direction. The window on the left is longer than the one on the right and the neither the middle window or any other detail of the bus contradicts the movement. It is therefore moving right.

However, there remains the question of the door. All school buses I've ever heard of are designed to put schoolchildren onto the pavement rather than the middle of the road. For both the US and the UK, this means the door is on the left of the bus. If you could see the door and it was moving forwards, it would have to move left. This is dare's reasoning for his answer.

So how do you reconcile parallax and basic bus design? By remembering that buses generally possess both forward and reverse gears. Nobody said the bus had to be moving forwards (though the average pre-schooler has probably never seen a school bus reverse). So it could be reversing, in which case the window-stretching and the door position both fit.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
I thought school buses were purely an American thing.  Here normal buses are used and although they have passenger doors only on the pavement side they also have driver doors on the offside.

One thing I am curious about. Is the USA full of thousands of buses that drive kids to school then sit about all day doing nothing.  Ten drive kids home in the afternoon and sit about doing nothing until the next morning.  The concept of buses purely for school times should be completely uneconomical.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »
That's right, Steven. And then they sit around all summer doing nothing. They are used for other school functions, like sporting events and field trips.

In most small towns, like here in Lancaster, they are the only busses in town. The public bus line stopped operations in 1968.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
The special school in town has its own school buses that only have one door. The mainstream ones only use standard buses, except for the sixth form, which I think ended up with at least one American-style bus among the ones the contracted company sent to it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »
That's ok that they get summers off when they are new, they go on and live a long life ferrying passengers through central America for 50-60 years after they are retired from North America.  Many are even still orange.  Scary what they hold those things together with.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle