collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 596
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The Scotsman and Baseball  (Read 3434 times)

Offline cosworth151

The Scotsman and Baseball
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »
A Scotsman moves to  Canada and attends his first baseball game.The first batter  approaches the batters' box, takes a few swings and then hits a double.  Everyone is on their feet screaming "Run!!!"

The next batter hits a  single. The Scotsman listens as the crowd again cheers "RUN!! RUN!!"

The Scotsman  is enjoying the game and begins screaming with the fans.The fifth  batter comes up and four balls go by.  The Umpire calls:  "Walk." The batter starts his slow trot  to first base.  The Scot stands up and screams, "Run ye  lazy bastard rrrun!"  The people around him begin laughing.

Embarrassed, the Scot sits back down.

A friendly fan  notes the man's embarrassment, leans over and explains, "He can't run -- he has four balls."

The Scot stands up and  screams: "Walk with pride, Laddie!"

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: The Scotsman and Baseball
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:43:17 PM »
A Scotsman moves to  Canada and attends his first baseball game.The first batter  approaches the batters' box, takes a few swings and then hits a double.  Everyone is on their feet screaming "Run!!!"

The next batter hits a  single. The Scotsman listens as the crowd again cheers "RUN!! RUN!!"

The Scotsman  is enjoying the game and begins screaming with the fans.The fifth  batter comes up and four balls go by.  The Umpire calls:  "Walk." The batter starts his slow trot  to first base.  The Scot stands up and screams, "Run ye  lazy bastard rrrun!"  The people around him begin laughing.

Embarrassed, the Scot sits back down.

A friendly fan  notes the man's embarrassment, leans over and explains, "He can't run -- he has four balls."

The Scot stands up and  screams: "Walk with pride, Laddie!"

Not funny.  There's more people at a Grand Prix in Turkey than a baseball game in Canada.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:46:44 PM »
That's the way Claw forwarded it to me. Besides, I thought you were a Blue Jays fan. :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
That's the way Claw forwarded it to me. Besides, I thought you were a Blue Jays fan. :good:

Yeah, but not enough of a fan to pay money to watch them lose.

There's a lot of that kind of fan in Toronto.  They've had their lowest attendance ever this season.  Same kind of numbers the Expos had before leaving Montreal.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »
The Expos left Montreal
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:16:03 AM »
The Expos left Montreal

Yes, now they stink as the Washington Nationals

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
As a Cleveland fan, I can sympathise. The Tribe made history this year. They became the first team ever to trade away the current Cy Young winner two seasons in a row - C. C. Sabathia and Cliff Lee. In both cases, they got a handful of minor league losers.

For our friends across the pond, the Cy Young Award is given to the best pitcher in the league every year.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
The Expos left Montreal

There's a team in Washington?Is it the city or state?

I stopped following baseball because of the steroid scandals
and the players egos
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 01:21:44 PM »

DC
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
Not funny. 

It too...it's hilarious - Canadian baseball issues aside. 

I hope the Blue Jays don't leave Toronto - that would be too bad.  I fear the Skydome (or whatever sponsor's name it has now) will become little more than a concert venue (not a great one) and another hall for the Conference Centre.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »

DC

That's what I was afraid of.The city's so dangerous that
the politicians won't live there.

If you don't have excitement at the game you probably will
trying to get to your car

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
They are just carrying on the grand tradition of the old Washington Senators - annual cellar dwellers!

Here's were we tie this back into racing:

The Washington Senators were traditionally awful. The Yankees were perpetual winners. In 1955, a Broadway musical was written about it, called Damn Yankees. It became a movie in 1958. The plot, based on Faust, was that a hard core Senators fan sells his sole to the Devil to have them beat the Yankees. The Devil is assisted by a temptress named Lola, who sings the song, Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets.

About this time, Eric Broadley started building race cars. At first, he called them "Broadley Special." Then, he heard a song that summed up how he felt about the car. That song - Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets.

That's when he changed the name of his cars to Lola!
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »

First class segway Cos. :good:  Have you ever considered a career in the broadcast media?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:05 PM »
Thanks, John. 

That would be great, but I don't think Hobbs, Varsha & company need fear for their jobs.  ;)
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »
The Expos left Montreal

I stopped following baseball because of the steroid scandals
and the players egos

I stopped following because of the strike in 1994.  So did the rest of Canada

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle