collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 596
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Dan Wheldon  (Read 9416 times)

Offline markfarrell9572

Dan Wheldon
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:37:13 PM »
Tonight motor racing lost a truly great driver and ambassador.  I just wat to say RIP Dan and thank you for years of great racing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:16:32 AM by Dare »

Offline Dare

Re: Dan Wheldon
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
This one really got to me.Wheldon was one of my favorite Indy
drivers.This isn't supposed to happen anymore

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/50911-wheldon-dies-from-crash-injuries/
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »
That was ugly, I'm speechless.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:27:32 AM »
Sad sad happening, saw it on tv this morning, not a nice thing to wake up to.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »

You gave your life doing what you loved to do, we'll remember your exciting racing and fantastic wins, R.I.P. Dan. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »
Horrible crash, no chance, poor lad. RIP and thoughts are with his family.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »
I only saw this on the news this morning - very sad news indeed. This is a sharp wake up call to how dangerous all motorsport really is, despite recent improvements in safety.

RIP Dan Wheldon
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »
High speeds and concrete walls with no runoff areas,maybe
it's time for IRL to do race on road courses only
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
I was watching the race. About two hours after the crash, they held a drivers only meeting. The looks on the faces of the drivers as they left the meeting told it all.

It wasn't the concrete walls. They were covered with the SAFER barriers. It was the chain link catch fences above the walls that did the damage. The top of Dan's car hit the fence and skidded along it.

I think they need to take a long look at the why the race was set up. Many of the drivers hadn't driven IndyCars in quite some time. Putting 34 cars with less than up-to-date drivers on a 1 1/2 mile "flat out, no lift" oval wasn't the wisest idea.

Dare is right. This isn't supposed to happen any more. But it does. And it always will. No amount of regulation or safety equipment can totally change that.

The good thing is that it is such a rare occurrence today. Those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's remember when it was commonplace. Eddie Sachs. Fireball Roberts. Lorenzo Bandini. Tony Bettenhausen. Joe Weatherly. Wolfgang von Tripps. Jimmy Clark. So many, many others. It sometimes seemed that we couldn't go a week without loosing another driver. When we talk about "the good old days" of racing, we conveniently forget that part.

R.I.P., Dan. Thanks for everything.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline romephius

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 02:11:55 PM »
I was told about a massive crash tonight when I got home from work by a 17 year old housemate.... she said it was cool.... I immediately told her off for saying such a thing. Now having seen the footage... I'm left feeling sickened and tearful, seeing a young driver lose his life. To think people are so calous about such things. 

My deepest sympathies and condolences to his family, friends, fans and all who enjoy incident free racing.  Yet another driver to be listed in the history books as a legend.... for the most tragic of reasons.

Rest in peace Mr Wheldon. 

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:26:39 PM »
Rom, I don't know if 'cool' in Aussie is the same with the younger generation as it seems to be in the UK. A lttle while ago when John Surtees's son got killed by that loose wheel, I was reading about it on here when Kyle(my son, almost 14)who was reading it too said 'cool', I said to him "What's bloody good about that," he said he just meant 'okay'.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
High speeds and concrete walls with no runoff areas,maybe
it's time for IRL to do race on road courses only
It needs to be looked at, it is ridiculous that this is the best solution to these types of tracks, if they want to race their they must come up with a better solution than a concrete wall and a fence.

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
Like Cos has said, the concrete walls at ovals these days are lined with SAFER barriers which are bloody good doing what they were designed to do. At any event that requires fans to be protected, including F1 road courses, it's the fence that can be the dangerous part.

Other than governing the speed down to the point where most fans wouldn't bother watching I can't think of another way to keep the cars on the track area in the event of a major crash such as we witnessed yesterday. At these speeds people will die..eventually..regardless of whatever safety policies are implemented.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
I know they have the safety wall and people would still watch if speeds were slower Just off the top of my head, they could raise the height of the wall, move the walls back, increase the size of track the cars can race on, make an area around the track which can act as a run off. But I'm sure they would say it would cost too much and put spectators too far away etc etc, rather a guy died every 4.25 years blah blah. Seriously, it's time American open wheel racing got serious about safety. Need I mention the grass that is still at these circuits, I mean come on for goodness sake, grass?! IndyCar, it's time you got into the modern era and acted like a grown up, look at F1 and learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle