F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

F1 to Enforce Driver Underwear Rules

(1/2) > >>

cosworth151:
The new race director Niels Wittich is finally going to crack down on the real #1 problem with F1. Not the little things like terrible circuits, porpoising cars, dictator derbies, but the thing that everyone in F1 is concerned about:

Unauthorized tighty whities!

Appendix L of the International Sporting Code has extensive guidelines and outlines that “the use of synthetic, non-flameproof materials in contact with the driver’s skin is not authorized” aside from in justified medical cases. Drivers have a couple of weeks to change their underwear comply with the directive.

Pierre Gasly said “(If) they want to check my ass, feel free, I have nothing to hide. If they want to check it every single weekend, if that makes them happy, then feel free.”

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a39694484/f1-shorts-bunch-underwear-mandates/

Scott:
LOL, that’s the best they can come up with? 

If they want to improve fire safety, use Grossjean as an example of where he was burnt the worst?  How about working with the drivers to come up with usable, but improved fireproof gloves so if your stuck in a car in a fire, you don’t end up with hands like his.  As far as I know, his rear end was fine.

lkjohnson1950:
 :good: :good: :good:

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: Scott on April 12, 2022, 04:37:53 PM ---LOL, that’s the best they can come up with? 

If they want to improve fire safety, use Grossjean as an example of where he was burnt the worst?  How about working with the drivers to come up with usable, but improved fireproof gloves so if your stuck in a car in a fire, you don’t end up with hands like his.  As far as I know, his rear end was fine.

--- End quote ---

They already knew that Grosjean's gloves weren't adequate and already had new designs lined up for 2021.  (I would guess the balance between protection and 'feel' is harder to get for gloves than other parts of the fire suit)

I believe we have heard stories of drivers complaining about their backsides getting uncomfortably hot.  We don't really need to wait for a problem to solve it.  Even if F1 has other problems to solve, doesn't mean this isn't something to work on anyway.

Andy B:
They are just covering their ass! :yahoo:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version