collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 253
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Maldonado: Just being in F1 not enough  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Jericoke

Maldonado: Just being in F1 not enough
« on: October 08, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »
Reading between the lines at GPUpdate, it looks like winning a race has taken all the fun out of the sport for Maldonado.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/301360/maldonado-just-being-in-f1-not-enough/

He's not the first athlete to be frustrated when going from the top of the world to the bottom of the barrel, but it seems to be a common complaint amongst non-Vettel race winners. 

Bring back Kobiashi.  There's a guy who appreciated how lucky he was to be in F1, and respectfully accepted what the sport gave him.

Offline Ian

Re: Maldonado: Just being in F1 not enough
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
Yeh Jeri, I liked old Kobi.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »

Getting to F1 is hard enough so I guess for a year or two most drivers will accept just being on the grid is great. However I'm sure once you have tasted a win, and not through adverse weather or others falling off in numbers ahead, you know you are one of the elite bunch so it must come hard to not have the machinery to make the top step, or even the podium again.

I think it is a good sign that drivers like Pastor are hungry for more than just making up the numbers, which let's be honest the Williams boys have been doing this year. Let's hope Massa doesn't just elect to make up the numbers now his Ferrari career is at an end.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
I think he is putting pressure on his team on behalf of his sponsor. He bring a big 35 million with him, and I am sure the people who give him this money does not want see him out of Q1 regularly and only mentioned when he cause big shunt. Last year he won a grand prix, flew the Venezuelan flag on the top of the podium for the first time, his sponsors want the repetition of that, and his tone surely points out to that. I wonder without that sort of a backing will any team would have like to appoint this crash-happy driver  :DntKnw:

I love Kobayashi as well, but unfortunately he does not bring that much of cash with him. Last year in Suzuka that was one hell of a emotional podium, as if he had won the Grand Prix.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »

Getting to F1 is hard enough so I guess for a year or two most drivers will accept just being on the grid is great. However I'm sure once you have tasted a win, and not through adverse weather or others falling off in numbers ahead, you know you are one of the elite bunch so it must come hard to not have the machinery to make the top step, or even the podium again.

I think it is a good sign that drivers like Pastor are hungry for more than just making up the numbers, which let's be honest the Williams boys have been doing this year. Let's hope Massa doesn't just elect to make up the numbers now his Ferrari career is at an end.

I truly believe that in terms of drivers, F1 is in a golden age.  There are plenty of champions on the gride.  Plenty of race winners.  Drivers like Webber and Massa would have been worthy champions if luck had gone their way.  Drivers like Rosberg, Hulkenberg and Sutil would be worthy champions if the giants in the sport weren't in their way.

Even 'reckless' drivers like Grosjean and Maldonado have shown growth and promise.  They do 'deserve' a shot with top cars... but there's at least 10 other drivers who are just as good who deserve those seats too.

F1 has the driver talent pool brimming.  Looking for the next Fangio, Senna or Schumacher is easier than ever.  Now they need to make it easier to find the next Newey, Champman, McLaren or Todt who can really build a team/car into a winner.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
Don't forget Kubica before his rally shunt. I think he showed WDC potential, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
Don't forget Kubica before his rally shunt. I think he showed WDC potential, too.

I think we could create quite a list of talented drivers who just didn't have the right equipment at the prime of their careers.

Kubica, Kobiashi, Fisichella, Panis, Heidfeld, Frentzen. 

I'd even add Barichello to the list.  Stewart regretted never having the car that he felt Reubans deserved.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »
I would have liked to see Allan McNish get a ride in a decent car. He's always done very well in sports cars. I think he would have done well.

And, of course, Jarno Trulli.   :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
Rumors say that Maldonado has approached Lotus with his cash for a race seat, but Williams are not tensed as they have a PDVSA contract for upto 2015.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
Considering the pace Maldo has shown when they've provided him the car, he might not be a bad candidate for the Lotus.  Maybe the money wouldn't come with him, but maybe he'd drive for nothing.  Win, win.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
Considering the pace Maldo has shown when they've provided him the car, he might not be a bad candidate for the Lotus.  Maybe the money wouldn't come with him, but maybe he'd drive for nothing.  Win, win.

Would he be a better choice than The Hulk? In my opinion NO. Period.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
Rumors say that Maldonado has approached Lotus with his cash for a race seat, but Williams are not tensed as they have a PDVSA contract for upto 2015.

I wonder who Venezuela would put in the Williams car if Pastor jacks it in?

- Johnny Cecotto???   :swoon:  If 'Wrecker' Roman got just a one race ban we could expect Cecotto to be missing for half the season.  :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »

Unless Lotus is looking for some cash, which Maldo may or may not bring with him (maybe PDVSA has an escape clause?).  Not sure the backing Hulk has.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »

Unless Lotus is looking for some cash, which Maldo may or may not bring with him (maybe PDVSA has an escape clause?).  Not sure the backing Hulk has.

The rumor says that Williams have checked it by a lawyer in London, and it was said be as tight as can get. So unless he gets more from PDVSA, he is a driver to be reckon with only by his merit

vintly

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »

AGREED.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle