collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 471
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Who is in charge at Mercedes?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Scott

Who is in charge at Mercedes?
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:26:17 PM »
Half way through the race, I started to think Hamilton was. 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34695516

Jeri mentioned in chat, Perez went 50 laps, so why couldn't Hamilton have, but with the SC shortly afterward, it seems like it was a good idea to change tires.  He almost caught Rosberg near the end, but couldn't quite get within DRS range when time ran out.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:02:12 PM by Scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: Who is in charge at Mercedes?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »
Something happened a few laps from the end. Hamilton suddenly went from .9 behind Nico to 1.7 in one lap. Whatever it was happened in Sector 2. I never saw anything about it on the TV feed.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:10:16 PM »
Lewis was cheekily attempting to turn the team's belt and braces approach to his own advantage, and rightly the team were having none of it.

This is not uncommon amongst the highly motivated and adrenaline filled chargers on the grid and gamesmanship, or even blatant liberty taking, has caused no end of problems in teams throughout the years.

Sure Lewis, and Nico too of course, may well have made it to the end, but with clear pit stop distance between them and the 3rd placed car why take the risk of canvas showing through the slicks before the chequered flag.

Had the title not been wrapped up one suspects that Lewis would have stayed out and taken his chances, maybe he'd have made it work who knows? However when there's nothing on the line it's a bit puzzling why Lewis can't get with the team programme.  :(  After all he's 3 time WDC thanks to the Merc team effort as much as his own.

With the manufacturers and drivers titles sewn up Merc want 1-2 finishes for the sake of the publicity and marketing, they are not likely to show favouritism to either driver - or let one take advantage of the other - when they follow orders from the pits.   

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:30:06 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
However when there's nothing on the line it's a bit puzzling why Lewis can't get with the team programme.  :(  After all he's 3 time WDC thanks to the Merc team effort as much as his own.

With the manufacturers and drivers titles sewn up Merc want 1-2 finishes for the sake of the publicity and marketing, they are not likely to show favouritism to either driver - or let one take advantage of the other - when they follow orders from the pits.     

Honestly I think those two actually detest one another.  Lewis would rather see Rosberg crash out of every race than be in front of him.  As you say, he doesn't appear to understand the word "team" and it makes me wonder even more why he thinks Merc will keep him for another 4 year contract after this one is done.  But then again, maybe Mercedes is trying to establish Mercedes drivers as a selfish bunch and appealing to them (oops Sluggo - just teasing).

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »
Lewis was cheekily attempting to turn the team's belt and braces approach to his own advantage, and rightly the team were having none of it.

This is not uncommon amongst the highly motivated and adrenaline filled chargers on the grid and gamesmanship, or even blatant liberty taking, has caused no end of problems in teams throughout the years.

Sure Lewis, and Nico too of course, may well have made it to the end, but with clear pit stop distance between them and the 3rd placed car why take the risk of canvas showing through the slicks before the chequered flag.

Had the title not been wrapped up one suspects that Lewis would have stayed out and taken his chances, maybe he'd have made it work who knows? However when there's nothing on the line it's a bit puzzling why Lewis can't get with the team programme.  :(  After all he's 3 time WDC thanks to the Merc team effort as much as his own.

I do mean this with a tongue in cheek attitude, but listen to what you're saying... 

when the German authorities say something, just follow orders

No one in the world should be taken to task for questioning that logic  ;)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »

I do mean this with a tongue in cheek attitude, but listen to what you're saying... 

:DD :DD  Good point Jeri.  ;)

Well I hear from friends that the modern German way is still :-

Everything is prohibited - unless it's specifically allowed.  :D

Often in F1 it comes the other way round and Germans are obliged to follow British, or Irish orders, anyone remember the 1998 Belgian GP - Damon was allowed the win by Eddie Jordan's order although Ralf Schumacher had a much faster sister car under him towards the end.

EJ was not about to lose his first win or a 1-2 finish and he made no bones about it.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 06:04:42 PM »

:DD :DD  Good point Jeri.  ;)

Well I hear from friends that the modern German way is still :-

Everything is prohibited - unless it's specifically allowed.  :D

Often in F1 it comes the other way round and Germans are obliged to follow British, or Irish orders, anyone remember the 1998 Belgian GP - Damon was allowed the win by Eddie Jordan's order although Ralf Schumacher had a much faster sister car under him towards the end.

EJ was not about to lose his first win or a 1-2 finish and he made no bones about it.

Your point is valid, the drivers are employees, and employees really should be doing as they're told.  (It's not like Hamilton was being ordered to run over a puppy; just change tires).

I think that the drivers understand that they're the draw in the sport though.  Lewis Hamilton is worth a zillion dollars  a year because he wins, not because he plays nice with his teammate.  While drivers certainly get lost in the moment, I'm sure that drivers like Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso are calculating what they say on the radio at least 90% of the time, knowing full well it's going out into the world.  Look no further than Kimi's 'I know what I'm doing' to realize that what comes over that microphone can mean millions of dollars in their pocket.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 07:26:37 PM »
...and like Webber used to drop the F-bomb in every sentence that he DIDN'T want broadcast.  Though I notice they've started bleeping the cussing, but leaving in the conversation.

Hamilton is only worth zillions as long as someone is willing to pay him  zillions.  Rebelling against a race engineer is one thing, but if he had gone another lap or two, Toto would have been on the radio and I don't think that is a battle Hamilton would have won.

Re:Germans and rules...it just reminded me of when I first came to Switzerland, my wife and I were asked to help out on a tour of Verbier for German ski tourists.  My wife, the native German speaker led the tour, and I played tail gunner to help out if someone strayed too far away or fell.  I was blown away when the entire group, about 12 people followed every turn my wife made down the hill.  Nobody for a second thought they should have a little fun and ski on another part of the piste or like me, in the powder beside the run.  A couple of them even looked back at me scowling.  It wasn't a ski school, just us guiding them around the ski area.  "Follow me" has a different meaning to a German than anyone else in the world.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:31:11 PM by Scott »

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 11:08:48 PM »
Ve musste have order und discipline if you please Herr Scott!!   >:( >:(
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle