collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2020 F1 Grid Complete  (Read 5050 times)

Offline cosworth151

2020 F1 Grid Complete
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »
The 2020 F1 grid is now complete. Williams announced that 24 year old Canadian F2 driver Nicholas Latifi will take over the seat vacated by Robert Kubica. He'll be the only rookie in the 2020 field.

Also, Toro Rosso will be rebranded AlphaTauri, after Red Bull's fashion line.

So, here's who we've got. Deja Vu is understandable:

Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - #44
Valtteri Bottas - #77

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - #5
Charles Leclerc - #16

Red Bull:
Alex Albon - #23
Max Verstappen - #33

McLaren:
Lando Norris - #4
Carlos Sainz - #55

Renault:
Daniel Ricciardo - #3
Esteban Ocon - #31

AlphaTauri (formerly Toro Rosso):
Pierre Gasly - #10
Daniil Kvyat - #26

Racing Point:
Sergio Perez - #11
Lance Stroll - #18

Alfa Romeo:
Kimi Raikkonen - #7
Antonio Giovinazzi - #99

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - #8
Kevin Magnussen - #20

Williams:
George Russell - #63
Nicholas Latifi - #TBC

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: 2020 F1 Grid Complete
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »
1)  Is this the earliest that the 'driver carousel' has ended?
2)  I'm not complaining, but why do Canadian drivers go through Williams?
3)  Who's on the hot seat next season to perform?  Mercedes seems to be happy with Bottas.  Ferrari has got to be concerned with Vettel and LeClerc (as a fan, I just hope it heats up).  I've spoken supportively of the Haas lineup before, but SOMETHING has to change with that team.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:59:35 PM »
If I was Haas I'd have one American driver.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 01:26:40 PM »
I agree. I'd love to see Josef Newgarden get a shot at it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »

The last embers of Minardi are finally trampled all over and crushed into dust by Red Bull.  I'm sad about that.  Still, the team was effectively destroyed by this sorry excuse for a marketing exercise as long ago as 2006, so it's nothing more than a cosmetic exercise really.  Nevertheless, losing the Italian name does seem to have an air of finality about it, even though I've never liked the Toro Rosso brand.

I'm so fed up of these silly driver numbers.  I wish the FIA would revert to the previous system of numbering teams in constructors' championship finishing order.

As for the driver line up, there is not much change and not much opportunity to bring new drivers into the sport.  Formula 1 needs more teams and more independent teams, not second-string B teams propped up by manufacturers.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:22:21 AM »

The last embers of Minardi are finally trampled all over and crushed into dust by Red Bull.  I'm sad about that.  Still, the team was effectively destroyed by this sorry excuse for a marketing exercise as long ago as 2006, so it's nothing more than a cosmetic exercise really.  Nevertheless, losing the Italian name does seem to have an air of finality about it, even though I've never liked the Toro Rosso brand.

Red Bull promised to run the team as a continuation of Minardi for X number of years.  They've more than honoured that commitment.  Personally, I never liked how Paul Stoddard intentionally ran the team as 'loveable losers'.  I think that Red Bull's using it as a way to bring drivers into F1 has worked out quite well. 

I'm so fed up of these silly driver numbers.  I wish the FIA would revert to the previous system of numbering teams in constructors' championship finishing order.

That was a ridiculous way to number anything.

I like the drivers having their own numbers, and would accept each team having two assigned numbers that their drivers have, but if they numbers change season to season, why bother with numbers at all?

As for the driver line up, there is not much change and not much opportunity to bring new drivers into the sport.  Formula 1 needs more teams and more independent teams, not second-string B teams propped up by manufacturers.

Agreed, F1 should have a pile of privateer teams, and boot out the manufacturers (and, yes, I'm going to include Ferrari:  run a team, or sell engines, not both).  The FIA and FOM have made it so difficult, I can't really blame people for not making the leap.  I can accept that it takes a couple years to develop a winning team, but if Haas isn't winning by now, they're not going to win.  We know what they're spending to lose, and nothing is being done to make it cheaper to win.  Of course, McLaren and Renault have shown you can't just buy a win either.

Until more people can be convinced to spend on F1, I appreciate the top teams 'filling out' the grid so we have something to watch.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »
Red Bull promised to run the team as a continuation of Minardi for X number of years.  They've more than honoured that commitment.  Personally, I never liked how Paul Stoddard intentionally ran the team as 'loveable losers'.  I think that Red Bull's using it as a way to bring drivers into F1 has worked out quite well.

Paul Stoddart did his best with extremely limited resources and I don't think that he ran the team in that way.  I also don't see any persuasive evidence to support that suggestion.  I did prefer Minardi when it was managed by Giancarlo Minardi though, as it was the epitomy of an Italian family team, and, Ferrari aside, it was the only Italian team to make it into the twenty-first century.

How can numbering the cars in the order in which their teams finished the previous season be argued to be ridiculous?  It's the most logical way of numbering the teams that I can think of.  You might not like it, but to label it ridiculous seems rather an odd way of characterising it to me.

Until more people can be convinced to spend on F1, I appreciate the top teams 'filling out' the grid so we have something to watch.

If Haas pulls out and Williams runs out of cash, it may well be that the top teams have to field three cars, so you may find your appreciation levels being adjusted in more ways than one.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »

Paul Stoddart did his best with extremely limited resources and I don't think that he ran the team in that way.  I also don't see any persuasive evidence to support that suggestion.  I did prefer Minardi when it was managed by Giancarlo Minardi though, as it was the epitomy of an Italian family team, and, Ferrari aside, it was the only Italian team to make it into the twenty-first century.

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/other-sport/2004/08/20/minardi-is-still-formula-ones-lovable-losers/

How can numbering the cars in the order in which their teams finished the previous season be argued to be ridiculous?  It's the most logical way of numbering the teams that I can think of.  You might not like it, but to label it ridiculous seems rather an odd way of characterising it to me.

2009 ended thusly:
Brawn
Red Bull
McLaren
Ferrari
Toyota
BMW
Williams
Renault
Force India
Toro Rosso

Therefore championship order should have been:
Mercedes 1-2 (actually 3-4)
Redbull 3-4 (Actually 5-6)
McLaren 5-6 (actually 1-2)
Ferrari 7-8 (Hey, a match!)
Sauber 11-12 (Toyota had 9-10 and dropped out, actually had 22-23)
Williams 14-25 (or 11-12) (Actually 9-10)

Seriously, the numbers tell you nothing.

If Haas pulls out and Williams runs out of cash, it may well be that the top teams have to field three cars, so you may find your appreciation levels being adjusted in more ways than one.
[/quote]

I want more teams, competitive teams.  The model is broken, and there isn't enough will to fix it.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 01:34:31 AM »
Numbers were not traditionally awarded to teams, but to drivers. In 2010 the #1 would have gone to Button, not to Mercedes.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 12:33:00 PM »
To attempt an answer to Jeri's first question, 2008 was the last time the field got settled comparably early (everyone was signed by the middle of November)... ...it was just that Vijay Mallya opted not to declare who he'd signed until January for no apparent reason.

I believe it is a record for declarations. Usually there's at least one TBA every year.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
Numbers were not traditionally awarded to teams, but to drivers. In 2010 the #1 would have gone to Button, not to Mercedes.

1&2 were assigned to the champion and their teammate, and the rest of the numbers are assigned by constructor order, pending paperwork being completed.  (What would have happened if the champion retired, Rosberg-style?  Does 1 go unassigned?  To the team that he drove for?  The top constructor?

I'm disappointed that Hamilton doesn't claim #1, as is his right, but otherwise I like that drivers have permanent numbers.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
Boy, didn't look this up either, but I have a memory of a driver using the number 0 when he replaced a reigning champion the next season.
Lonny

Offline Robem64

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
Whatever number they race under I just like to be able to clearly see it on the car - some of the time the visibility has been very poor.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 04:50:44 PM »
It was even more interesting back in the 1950's & early 60's. An example is Fangio in 1957. He was the defending champ but had moved from Ferrari to Maserati during the off season. His car numbers by race:

Argentina: 2
Monaco: 32
France: 2
Aintree: 2
Nurburgring: 1
Pescara: 2
Monza:2

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/search/?query=fangio+1957

I collect die cast race cars. The ones from that era have different #'s for a given driver throughout a season.
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
Whatever number they race under I just like to be able to clearly see it on the car - some of the time the visibility has been very poor.

I totally agree with this. I remember when the rules required large white roundels with black numerals. Much easier to see, but they would cover too much advertising real estate these days.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:20:01 PM by lkjohnson1950 »
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle