collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mexico City 2021 Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Jericoke

Mexico City 2021 Heroes and Zeroes
« on: November 08, 2021, 02:49:33 AM »
First off... why the change from 'Mexican' to 'Mexico City'?  Are they angling to create a second Meso-American Grand Prix?  (Don't get me wrong, the passion shown by the fans probably could fuel a second race in the region)

Heroes
Max.  Not a perfect weekend, but a perfect race.  He won by a large margin, and I'm sure he could have dialed it up and lapped the entire field if he'd been so inclined.

Perez.  I wasn't sure he would be an 'upgrade' on Albon, but he clearly has been a solid teammate for Max, and creating a '6th' home race for RBR was brilliant (Steiermark, Austria, British, Dutch, Japanese (Turkish) races all acted as 'home' races for the team).  The crowd was behind Perez and by extension RBR.  It was fantastic to see his work, and their fandom pay off with a solid race and excellent result.

Hamilton.  A lesser racer would have struggled to keep that Mercedes in 2nd place.  While Hamilton put on a show for the radio, I don't feel he was in any real danger of losing out to Perez.

Gasly.  He's the real deal.  A top F1 driver looking for a place to fit in.  It's too bad he fits in at a team that doesn't have winning aspirations.  I'd like to think he could excel anywhere, but maybe his fate is to be at AT forever.

Ferrari.  I feel like the team is being built from the ground up, creating results through hard effort, lessons learned, and solid teamwork.  A solid performance.

Zeroes
Bottas.  On his best day, he's as good as anyone.  Today was not his best day.  Not even close.  I doubt he'd have done better than fourth, even if he did hold that first corner, but his only goal was to block Max into that corner.  Good job on the FL    :DntKnw:

Mazepin.  Nothing in particular this weekend, but he really seems to be moving backwards instead of progressing.  If he would just keep his mouth shut and be like Mick 'aw shucks, maybe next time' it would be easier to not loathe him.

Honourable Mention:
The track/crowd.  That stadium section is the most fantastic part of the F1 season in my opinion.  I'd love to see more tracks with a gigantic grand stand like that.

That Fangio replica helmet award (and the picture of Bottas wearing it).  Whoever came up with that, more please.  We don't need gorilla trophies, karting tires or silver plated track maps.  Let's put some more history front and centre!

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Mexico City 2021 Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 10:27:08 AM »
First off... why the change from 'Mexican' to 'Mexico City'?  Are they angling to create a second Meso-American Grand Prix?  (Don't get me wrong, the passion shown by the fans probably could fuel a second race in the region)

The change reflects change in funding for the race Jeri, the Mexican government has pulled it's support and the City itself has stepped in to fill the gap. Hence Mexico City GP. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »
I can see why Bottas is being replaced. He had only one task, after planting his car unexpectedly on pole. That was to prevent Verstappen from getting a tow and sneaking round the outside. His car should have been further to the left, especially after he botched his start. It was all downhill from there. Bottas did well whilst things were easy for Mercedes, but now that they have real competition, he's simply not quite good enough - unfortunately, as he's a nice guy.

I sometimes think that Hamilton will lose this championship not only because Red Bull seem to have the quicker car, but because Bottas is too often trundling around in 10th spot for half the race rather than supporting his team mate up front.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
I can see why Bottas is being replaced. He had only one task, after planting his car unexpectedly on pole. That was to prevent Verstappen from getting a tow and sneaking round the outside. His car should have been further to the left, especially after he botched his start. It was all downhill from there. Bottas did well whilst things were easy for Mercedes, but now that they have real competition, he's simply not quite good enough - unfortunately, as he's a nice guy.

I sometimes think that Hamilton will lose this championship not only because Red Bull seem to have the quicker car, but because Bottas is too often trundling around in 10th spot for half the race rather than supporting his team mate up front.

What other drivers have had the talent that Bottas has, but couldn't put in the consistent results?  I always felt like post 2007 Kimi still had all the skill in the world, but seemed to be either 'on' or 'off'.  Kind of makes sense why Ferrari didn't want to keep him, but also didn't want to race against him.

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 07:10:09 PM »
Heros:
1. Max- He has matured since his early performances and in this race, he did exactly what was needed. Because overtaking is difficult at this track, it was very important to be in the lead from the start.
2. Hamilton- The only way he could have done better was to be in the lead by the end of lap #1... which is actually where he should have been.
3. Checo Perez- His performance was perfect entertainment.
ZEROS:
1. The track that makes overtaking nearly impossible, even with DRS.
2. The aerodynamics of the cars that makes overtaking nearly impossible without DRS.
3. Bottas- He has to keep out of the way of other cars. He totally screwed my Grid Game for this race. 
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
The fans are positive and excited. And no damn stupid coloured smoke going off to cloud the arena and choke the air.
I do like the slower stadium area where the fans can really see the cars and have an impact on the drivers.

Merc does not have a car to compete with Red Bull this season and since they are focusing on next, the 2021 championship will not be Hamilton or Merc.

If it was not for bad luck, Bottas would have no luck at all. After his pole, he disappeared like a fart in a windstorm.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle