collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: One Mans View  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Willy

One Mans View
« on: May 04, 2022, 07:58:23 PM »
This is an article written by Max Noble on Pitpass that makes some good points about this season so far.
www.pitpass.com/72369/The-Reign-Maker

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: One Mans View
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 04:07:58 AM »
Misses some points too. No mention of Haas, who have made the biggest turn around. Wheels are about at their limit, the weight of the wheel/tire combination begins to grow again somewhere in the 18 to 22 inch area. Drivers are already complaining they can't see over the taller shoes. And the rain didn't really spice up E-R much. Max was in complete control from turn 1.  :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 01:31:57 PM »
In talking about the wheel diameter of road cars, he fails to take into account that the seating position in those rides might be a teeny bit higher than the flat on your back, backside dragging the pavement seating in an F1 car. As Lonny said, the new tires are blocking the drivers' view. Prototype sports cars ran into a similar problem several seasons ago.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 01:45:12 PM »
I wish they would stop trying to kid anyone that road relevance matters in the modern age of F1. Sure there is a tiny bit of transfer now but not like in the early years of racing.

We all know that F1 cars are not road cars so why burden them with these sodden great rims, this all harks back to an attempt to entice Michelin back into tyre supply - and it failed.  :crazy:

Be nice if FIA could admit they've gone down wrong path and return to the more familiar 13" next season or at latest the year after. Mind you it may make the bouncy effects from porpoising even more pronounced.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 05:05:00 PM »
I wish they would stop trying to kid anyone that road relevance matters in the modern age of F1. Sure there is a tiny bit of transfer now but not like in the early years of racing.

I'm hoping that tiny transfer is related to the energy recovery systems - otherwise I don't see the point in those complex and costly systems either....

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 09:26:49 PM »

I'm hoping that tiny transfer is related to the energy recovery systems - otherwise I don't see the point in those complex and costly systems either....

The only references I can find about 'trickle down' technology is the abandoned Williams Fly wheel ('Flybrid') being used in commercial and industrial applications

https://www.plasticstoday.com/automotive-and-mobility/composite-flywheel-reduces-fuel-consumption-bus

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 11:15:04 PM »
The super high end Mercedes 2 seater uses a modified version of the previous F1 power unit. That's the most direct use I've seen.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle