F1 News & Discussions > F1 History

Genius F1 innovations that were banned.

(1/2) > >>

John S:
Not everything stays banned forever, for instance ground effect is making a comeback for 22 season. Which if any of the outlawed tricks would you like to see back in the coming years?

For me they should have left tuned mass dampers on cars, seems the most road car relevant development prospect from the list. 

Wonder how many more genius innovations F1 may throw up in the coming years?  ;)

Jericoke:
Not really covered in the video, but I've always wondered why 'moveable aerodynamic devices' are banned.

Was there ever a catastrophic failure of it?  Or a ridiculously expensive arms races associated with them?

I would agree that they can't be 'automated', that the driver would have to manually activate/deactivate them.  However, given how many things drivers are currently controlling manually, it doesn't seem all that big a deal (even if 7 time champions can screw up a 'magic' button from time to time)

Dare:
The wings on the cars in the late 60's got to be
a little or lot too much. Didn't some fall off the cars
and eventually banned?

lkjohnson1950:
They were mounting them on the uprights, front and rear. Since the suspension moved, the mounts had to be hinged or flexible. Many weren't strong enough to take the load and they did break. The FIA banned high mounted wings and ruled they had to be attached to the body work, not the uprights. Took a while to get it sorted so you can see all sorts of wing combinations.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/single-seaters/f1/how-f1s-high-wing-era-came-dramatic-end

cosworth151:
The mass damper seemed like a fine, low cost, low tech idea, easily adaptable to road cars. Just was F1 (all racing, really) is supposed to be about.

Some of the ideas, like 4 wheel steering, sound like an absolute mess.

One note on the MotorSport article that Lonnie linked to. In Jochen Rindt's objections to high wings, he said, "Wings have nothing to do with a motor car. They are completely out of place and will never be used on a road-going production car." At that time, Mopar was already hard at work on the Dodge Charger Daytona and the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird (shown below in a color that was popularly known as Loud Mouth Lime.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version