collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 373
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: American Driver?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Willy

American Driver?
« on: April 04, 2022, 06:04:22 PM »
https://f1i.com/news/437201-f1-wants-real-and-fast-american-driver-on-the-grid.html
This may a hard sell to find an American driver who does not dream only of winning Indy or Daytona or any of the NASCAR events.
F1 is still seen as a European race series over here in North America and this is evident in the complete lack of F1 news or coverage on TV compared to everything NASCAR.

Online Jericoke

Re: American Driver?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 03:42:45 AM »
While I agree that many American drivers aspire to IndyCar and NASCAR racing, anyone seriously involved in racing knows that F1 offers a bigger pay day than the Brickyard or Daytona could ever. 

I think that the FIA really made sure that Americans had to leave America to earn their super license.  Leaving home for a long shot when you can stay home and do 'pretty good' suddenly sounds better.

That said... the USA has more billionaires than anyone else, not a single one of them has a kid who wants to race in F1?  Or even a family friend willing to put some kid onto the international stage?  Doesn't even have to be like Stroll, Latifi, Mazepin or Norris.  Perez  has a ton of support from Carlos Slim.

Larry Ellison has had Oracle involved in international sports, why not F1?  Mark Cuban loves sports and being on TV, how doesn't he have a stake in F1?  Jay-Z built his fortune on Hip Hop culture, where Ferrari is definitely an important status symbol.  Bringing a black American into F1, especially in the wake of Hamilton's success, would bring about as much 'street cred' as possible.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 02:09:02 PM »
I think Michael Andretti is still looking at getting Colton Herta into F1, possibly with McLaren.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 02:36:35 PM »
While I agree that many American drivers aspire to IndyCar and NASCAR racing, anyone seriously involved in racing knows that F1 offers a bigger pay day than the Brickyard or Daytona could ever. 

Not sure you're correct about the payday for drivers Jeri, could be true if you reach the top echelons but most F1 journeymen will make smaller yearly wages than the average Indycar or Nascar driver in a permanent team.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:27:57 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 06:20:54 PM »
I think Jeri may be on to something with a wealthy well known black American backer or team owner.
Lewis is very well known the world over and he will not be racing much longer so maybe he can be convinced to get involved in a team with black owners.
My apologizes to anyone who takes offence to my black statements as I am not sure what is the accepted nomenclature.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle