collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 360
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2022 Saudi Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Jericoke

2022 Saudi Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« on: March 28, 2022, 01:17:33 AM »
Heroes
Max - a great on track battle to earn a win.  The poise of a champion

Leclerc - A solid race weekend, very close to a win.  I can watch this fight all season long.

Perez - Magnificent  pole position lap, didn't quite have it for race weekend.  Poor luck pitting just before the safety car, a win would have been possible.

Sainz - a great driver with a great car, I feel like he's going to play a bigger part in the championship than most '#2' drivers do.  (I wouldn't really call him a #2 driver, but he's the trailing Ferrari driver, so we'll see how long the Scuderia decides if they need a #1/#2)

K-Mag - the luckiest guy in F1.  He really put in his dues with Haas, and while I don't
agree with who they hired, their strategy to have two high profile rookies drive the 'painful' 2021 to be ready for 2022 was sound.  Looks like they should've stuck with K-Mag all along.  He is a solid racer, and really able to rise to the occasion.  Perfect timing for his pitstop too.

Lewis Hamilton - you won't find anyone in F1 without a quote about how Lewis Hamilton would do awful in an awful car.  Well, he took an awful car, added in some bad luck with safety cars/pits, and still earned a point.  Lewis was capable of more even though his car wasn't.

Zeroes

Red Bull Powertrains - 4 races and all four drivers have suffered powertrain failures.  I know it's a little unfair to expect perfection from a 'new' supplier, but a zero is a zero.

Williams, McLaren, Aston Martin - everyone else seems to have gotten a pretty good handle on the 2022 rules.  It's a little sad to see these teams struggling when everyone else is putting on a great show.

Offline Dare

Re: 2022 Saudi Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 02:30:10 AM »
The two safety cars influenced the winner. Sergio
was on his way to a win and then Charles was. Max
was in the right spot at the right time.

As good as people say Hamilton's race was in a bad car
Russel beat him

I wonder why Pietro didn't race? Was the car too damaged?

I know Philbe liked Sainz years ago so he must be happy with
his results. Between Charles and Carlos I believe it's a tossup
who's the best.

Hope all the teams got out of Saudi Arabia with no problems. I
don't buy it's a place where you feel no oppression are allowed
to speak freely.

Looking forward to seeing Australia back racing in two weeks
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 06:22:43 AM »
I do wonder if Lewis is losing his mojo. Russel has the same car as him but was more than half a minute up the track.  Sure Lewis had bad luck with the pit closure for the second safety car, on the other hand the first one put him 6th purely because he didn't pit. KMag was on the same strategy, but ended 10s ahead with no challenge from Lewis at the end.

Leclerc - Max looks like it's going to be a great fight this year.  Looks like the new regulations do make it easier to follow and then you switch on DRS and you're sorted. I would like to see the same without DRS, but for now the racing is really very exciting.

I'll be gunning for Leclerc. If Lewis can't win, I'd rather see a Ferrari win. The Italians could do with some good fortune, now that Italy are out of the World Cup!

Great race, shame about the host.

When will the world stop having fun in countries which are authoritarian and/or downright evil. I don't buy the line that racing there and trading with them makes any difference. It only seems to give them great positive exposure without actually achieving anything. Jeddah has put Saudi Arabia on the map for racing fans and whilst it might have raised the issue of human rights, it also puts on a false sense of openness seeing the fans in the stands enjoying themselves. Alone the treatment of the migrant workers in these countries should stop us from racing there.  I hope the drivers say enough is enough and stick to it next year. 

Can't wait for Australia.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 06:45:22 PM »
Heroes:

K-Mag - Having a great comeback. Having him back goes a long way toward making up for the loss of Daddy Mazepin's money.

Haas - Showing that having spent most of the last two years working on the new-rules car was time well spent.

Ferrari powertrains - Powering the insurgencies at Ferrari, Haas & Alfa Romeo Sauber.

Zeroes:

Mercedes powertrains - What do Mercedes, Williams, McLaren & Aston Martin have in common? Merc power (or lack of same) and struggling teams.

Lack of a T-car on race weekends - A false economy measure, especially in light of sprint race/quali. Look for more teams to show up a car short on Sunday after one is thoroughly written off in Quali. This will hit the low budget teams the rule is supposed to protect even harder than the rich ones.

I'm not sure what to think about Hamilton. During the race, I couldn't help but be reminded about Vettel's sudden drop off a few seasons ago. I know that Merc has major problems, but George seems to be handling them much better.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 12:43:33 AM »
George is used to driving crappy cars.   :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 07:56:41 AM »
George is used to driving crappy cars.   :DD :DD

:DD :yahoo:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 05:06:13 PM »
I suppose I have to give credit to the regs - there was racing and overtaking throughout the field.
Ferrari still showing real class - nothing against Leclerc but I hope Sainz steps up and can really battle with Charles.
KMag drove brilliantly (again).
Russell dragged the best out of the Merc but I would also applaud Hamilton for honestly saying that he took the wrong decision about set-up and then making excellent progress during the race (better luck during the VSC could have seen him finish immediately behind George).
My prejudice against Verstappen keeps getting fed by his potty mouthed outbursts and whinging. He had the fastest car but only won because somehow the gap between him and Leclerc closed by almost a second during the VSC.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 06:40:15 PM »
My prejudice against Verstappen keeps getting fed by his potty mouthed outbursts and whinging. He had the fastest car but only won because somehow the gap between him and Leclerc closed by almost a second during the VSC.

I also found this strange how suddenly he was on the tail of Leclerc when beforehand he apparently couldn't quite get there. Especially as I think he was complaining about something similar when driving through a yellow flag zone.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 10:24:59 PM »
The virtual safety car is a joke. They all abuse it one time or another. Either put the actual safety car out, or just us local yellows.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »
The virtual safety car is a joke. They all abuse it one time or another. Either put the actual safety car out, or just us local yellows.

I think the VSC is a great tool to have in race control's safety arsenal.  Like any tool, it can be misused.  The safety car itself eats up a lot of laps, and really negates a lot of hard work and turns the races into a bit of a coin flip.  When it's required, I'm glad it's there, but when there's something that you need the cars to slow for, but should be handled quickly none the less, the VSC is a great option.

The biggest risk is if it's not enforced, people will abuse it, and that will lead to dangerous situations, so hopefully enforcement is handled better.

Offline Willy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 03:31:26 PM »

I have unfortunately allowed by intense dislike of Verstappen to totally cloud my enjoyment of watching a race now. I will mute the TV when I see  any radio messages from him so I don't have to hear that whiny bitch.
I am happy to see that the TV coverage has now focused more on mid-field battles then they have previously done so I don't have to watch him as much as last season when he tried again and again to kill Lewis.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this. Maybe it has to do with Lewis not racing at the front as much so far this season.
Not to take anything from Ferrari and I am thrilled to see the red team giving battle at the front end of the grid again.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 04:01:36 PM »

I also found this strange how suddenly he was on the tail of Leclerc when beforehand he apparently couldn't quite get there. Especially as I think he was complaining about something similar when driving through a yellow flag zone.

And then he whined about the exact same thing the next race when Leclerc seemed to have caught him during the VSC.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 10:06:24 PM »
I think both were legitimate - it's to do with where your car is in the microsector when the green flag flies, along with what that microsector contains - but that it's always a surprise when it happens because the human mind isn't good at holding 20 invisible lines in its head.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle