collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 355
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: US TV big bucks reason F1 wants to slap lipstick & faux fur on historic tracks  (Read 1055 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Got nowt to do with a good racing weekend for race goers.  :nono:
It's all about keeping viewership increasing amongst air heads over the pond.  ::)  :-*

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1006591/1/jawdropping-value-f1-us-broadcast-rights-and-why-espn-beat-netflix

* Humble apologies to fellow US members of GPWiz, I am not including you in this assertion.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

I have to disagree about F1 being more popular over
here. Most people think Indy and F1 are the same thing
and they couldn't name two F1 drivers.

I miss F1 being on the Speed Channel with Hobbs and Varsha.
Come to think of it I miss the Speed Channel too
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Damn, Dare, now you got me all teary eyed. Hobbs and Varsha, Speed Channel.  :'(
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Whilst were on the subject of memories I miss Murray Walker.   :(

Present crew on Sky do a reasonable job, but no one has been able to equal Murray's real & infectious excitment during a race.
- We all waited with baited breath for his hilarious Murrayisms too.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

Yes, Speed, Hobbs and Varsha were all great and offered really interesting coverage with their knowledge. I too miss Speed Channel.

The American point of view to keep the masses entertained by luring supposed celebrities to races so they can be photographed as they look around cluelessly is interesting to the American great unwashed but not a single soul outside the USA.
Liberty does not have a clue what the rest of the world enjoys or wants but wrongly believes everyone wants to be American or have what Americans have. 
No, no we don't, thanks.

* As John said, apologies to American GPWiz members.

Offline cosworth151

Liberty Media's 3 biggest assets are Formula 1 Group (which includes such diverse entities as the Drone Racing League), Sirius XM Radio and the Atlanta Braves MLB team. In the past, they have had an on again, off again relationship with NewsCorp.

In 2018, ESPN got the American broadcast rights to F1 for practically nothing. NBC, how had been the broadcaster over here, dropped out at the last minute when F1 started the F1 TV service. NBC insisted on exclusive broadcast rights or nothing at all. For a short time, there was a chance that no one would broadcast the 2018 season over here.

It is said that the Roman emperor Tiberius named the insane Caligula as his successor so that he would always seem better by comparison, always be "the good old days." Maybe that was Bernie's game with Liberty.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle