collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
15862 Posts
Scott Scott
14046 Posts
Dare Dare
12744 Posts
John S John S
10839 Posts
Ian Ian
9724 Posts

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General F1 Discussion / Re: Liberty Wants Spa to "Americanize"
« Last post by cosworth151 on Today at 03:56:25 PM »
That's why, with 2 or 3 exceptions, I don't even bother looking at the listing for the commercial broadcast TV networks over here. I really have no interest in watching "celebrities" that, for the most part, I've never heard of.

On the bright side, maybe they can take tip from American minor league baseball. How about F1 races having Quarter Beer Nite or Dime a Dog Nite? (that's 25 cent beer & 10 cent hot dogs)
Liberty Media's 3 biggest assets are Formula 1 Group (which includes such diverse entities as the Drone Racing League), Sirius XM Radio and the Atlanta Braves MLB team. In the past, they have had an on again, off again relationship with NewsCorp.

In 2018, ESPN got the American broadcast rights to F1 for practically nothing. NBC, how had been the broadcaster over here, dropped out at the last minute when F1 started the F1 TV service. NBC insisted on exclusive broadcast rights or nothing at all. For a short time, there was a chance that no one would broadcast the 2018 season over here.

It is said that the Roman emperor Tiberius named the insane Caligula as his successor so that he would always seem better by comparison, always be "the good old days." Maybe that was Bernie's game with Liberty.  ;)
Yes, Speed, Hobbs and Varsha were all great and offered really interesting coverage with their knowledge. I too miss Speed Channel.

The American point of view to keep the masses entertained by luring supposed celebrities to races so they can be photographed as they look around cluelessly is interesting to the American great unwashed but not a single soul outside the USA.
Liberty does not have a clue what the rest of the world enjoys or wants but wrongly believes everyone wants to be American or have what Americans have. 
No, no we don't, thanks.

* As John said, apologies to American GPWiz members.
« Last post by Willy on Today at 02:28:19 PM »
Spa needs to tell Liberty Media to shove it up their collective $%^.
Spa is a historical track that hosts many other events besides the weekend that is F1 and does not need F1 to survive.

Liberty is following the American business model which has created the shitshow we all know as America today.
Nobody outside of the USA wants that business model or prevailing point of view anywhere near themselves.
General F1 Discussion / Sir Jackie Weighs In
« Last post by Willy on Today at 02:22:35 PM »
Sir Jackie Stewart has commented on Lewis Hamilton's situation this season and has suggested that Lewis retire.
https://www.pitpass.com/72887/Stewart-urges-Hamilton-to-retire

While I agree with the points made I find that this would have been a better conversation between the two of them and not splashed across the internet.
Making a very public statement like this about another driver is stepping over the line in my view and is disrespectful to Lewis.
Sir Jackie should know better or his people (if he has them) should have stopped him.
Whilst were on the subject of memories I miss Murray Walker.   :(

Present crew on Sky do a reasonable job, but no one has been able to equal Murray's real & infectious excitment during a race.
- We all waited with baited breath for his hilarious Murrayisms too.  :D
GPWizard News & Announcements / Re: Andy joins the club
« Last post by Andy B on Today at 08:29:34 AM »
A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANDY.  Hope you had a good party, welcome to the old farts club.

Sorry was away at the coast for a few days break and was off grid on the day.

Many Thanks John I'm pleased to be a member.
« Last post by Dare on June 25, 2022, 09:08:20 PM »
 Liberty Wants Spa to "Americanize

All I have to say is be careful what you wish for
Damn, Dare, now you got me all teary eyed. Hobbs and Varsha, Speed Channel.  :'(
I have to disagree about F1 being more popular over
here. Most people think Indy and F1 are the same thing
and they couldn't name two F1 drivers.

I miss F1 being on the Speed Channel with Hobbs and Varsha.
Come to think of it I miss the Speed Channel too
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle