collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why is the first 2022 F1 pre-season test PRIVATE??  (Read 1454 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Why is the first 2022 F1 pre-season test PRIVATE??
« on: January 29, 2022, 01:26:49 PM »
Seems it's a pre season session not a test.  >:D

F1 has decided to have the first 2022 F1 test in private. Sad times.  :'(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Why is the first 2022 F1 pre-season test PRIVATE??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 03:05:16 PM »
A question for long time F1 fans... how long have the pre season tests been 'open' to fans, where we got live timing and video?  Given that live F1 TV coverage of the races started within my lifetime (and I'm guessing many other members here too), surely plenty of F1 fans became F1 fans without watching pre season sessions.

My guess is if a team comes out with a 'crazy' solution that is both legal, and ridiculous, this gives the team a private way to decide if it is banned, or copyable.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »
A question for long time F1 fans... how long have the pre season tests been 'open' to fans, where we got live timing and video?  Given that live F1 TV coverage of the races started within my lifetime (and I'm guessing many other members here too), surely plenty of F1 fans became F1 fans without watching pre season sessions.

My guess is if a team comes out with a 'crazy' solution that is both legal, and ridiculous, this gives the team a private way to decide if it is banned, or copyable.

Whilst these tests have not normally been on TV Jeri they have always been open to the public and journalists.

I'm not sure whether accredited journalists will be allowed at this pre season session (note FIA says not test). Mostly I've relied on F1 websites giving live updates from early test sessions in previous years to keep up to date with what is going on. If there is no live timing then sites like Crash.net. Racefans.net and GPfans.com, to name just a few, may have nothing to base live reports on even if they are allowed at the track.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 10:08:52 PM »
You know if there is any vantage point nearby, there will be plenty of long lens spy type shots everywhere.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 02:50:51 PM »
Test 1 usually is private if there's no new TV tech to test (F1's done full public tests sporadically over the years but hasn't consistently broadcast test 1 since 2008, leaving it to Sky or similarly-large broadcasters to decide whether the cost/benefit analysis is worthwhile. As a rule, in years where it happens, Sky is be footing the bill, not Liberty or its predecesor FOM).

I believe journalists with solid records of attendance in 2021 will be allowed to attend (meaning racefans.net, at least, will probably have its own angle on events due to having its own travelling journalist) but I may be wrong. It's not clear whether the track is bothering to open for spectators, or on what terms if so; with Sainz's star rising, Barcelona may decide it's worth the effort if COVID rules are compatible (as is likely).

The part that grinds my gears on this is the cynical re-labelling of the test. The regulations indicate it's still being treated as a test, so this is merely a re-branding exercise from Liberty.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 08:02:04 PM »
First, last & always, Liberty's actions seem to be driven by the Almighty Dollar. I may be cynical, but I wonder if Bahrain kicked in another boatload of cash to be "the first test of the season."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 09:51:11 PM »
Now that you mention it... ;)
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle