F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Should FIA amend 22/23 F1 regs to help eliminate porpoising?

(1/2) > >>

John S:
On Sunday morning prior to the Azerbaijan Grand Prix the FIA appeared to be open to making some simple rule changes that would reduce porpoising. This was discussed during the driver briefing and then it was discussed in meetings of the 'Technical Advisory Committee.

However, all the proposals that have passed the review have all failed to gain a majority. It is now June and that means that eight out of ten teams are now required to make direct changes or amendments to the 2023 regulations, never mind 2022.  :swoon: The chances of that happening are nil, as all teams have their own interests.

How can the FIA even think about changing a rule to fight a symptom that can be eliminated by raising the car ride height a little.  :confused: - An across the board process may hand an advantage to teams who have clearly got it wrong.  :nono:

On the other hand in this more enlightened "Woke" era though surely it's incumbant on racing authourities to ensure that drivers are not subjected to later life complications such as befell asbestos workers or other professions?
It's been suggested that the porpoising could be as extreme as 4G to 6G on the Mercs.  |-( 

Perhaps a simple solution could be for race authourities fit sensors to either driver, car or both; when it exceeds say 3G they simply bring out the meatball flag to any car showing to excess porpoising and insist that the team concerned raise the ride height by a set figure before they can return to the track.
If the same continues; well back in pits for more ride height ad infinitum.

Not sure how this is all gonna end, anyone got any thoughts?

Dare:
Why would the teams that got it right want to help
those {Mercedes} that didn't.

rmassart:
Much as I prefer Lewis than Max winning, I can't see any scope for changing the rules if not all teams are suffering from the same problems. If health and safety is an issue they can ban excessive bouncing through introducing appropriate sensors measuring the bouncing. But changing the rules would be stupid, except perhaps to reduce the speed boost you get through DRS.

Jericoke:
I agree, all the teams had the same 'chance' to get the rules right/wrong.

However, this isn't just about getting the design right, it's also about adjusting to the cap.  in the past teams could spend their way out of a problem, and now they can't.  Again, the rules were sort of intended to accomplish this.

I think there is a compromise available, a form of active suspension, allow better seat cushioning.

John S:

--- Quote from: Jericoke on June 13, 2022, 03:01:32 AM ---
I think there is a compromise available, a form of active suspension, allow better seat cushioning.

--- End quote ---

I know you are talking of a seat suspension system, however I'm pretty sure all teams will reject that as extra weight for no gain. Drivers seats presently weigh about the same as a pair of worn-out tweed trousers - or less.  :D

I rather think its car active suspension Merc are hoping for, Jeri, as they are rumoured to have a system ready to go from work during previous Regs.

Not sure other teams have either explored that concept lately, or got anything in the locker so to speak.

Active suspension is a possible answer for 23 on, but it would need to be a low cost common part solution from FIA to ensure no needless war in that area draining stretched budgets even further for teams without anything developed.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version