collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 587
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sensational 500bhp ‘Fireballed’ Mini  (Read 3836 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Sensational 500bhp ‘Fireballed’ Mini
« on: May 13, 2009, 11:32:02 PM »

I found this about a truly astonishing Mini on Autotrader website, there is a link to photos at the end.

To celebrate 50 years of the Mini, Vijay Pattni looks at a modified Mini monster – the 500bhp ‘Fireballed’ version.I bet Issigonis never saw this one coming – more power than the new Nissan GT-R?

Californian tuner ‘Fireballed Tim Racing’ is a custom Hollywood designer who creates bespoke beasts for movies and petrolheads. The crazy Californian has built this black-bodied beast nicknamed the ‘Widow’.

The modified Mini Cooper S still uses its original 1.6-litre petrol engine but that’s probably where the comparison ends. Tuner Tim wanted to “understand the limits of the car and where we could push it”. - And boy has he pushed it.

In true tuner style Tim set about unplugging the ‘bottlenecks’ of the standard car’s 1.6-litre unit.

For those of you who understand, he fitted a higher flowing head, intake manifold and fuel system, to create a system to install a Garrett GT3071R turbocharger, while a 75mm throttle body was installed for better airflow, and a water-to-air intercooler to help reduce the charge temperatures.

In reality, this engineering hocus-pocus has resulted in a simply astonishing 478bhp – the same as the Nissan GT-R.But because the ‘Widow’ would likely see a lot of action – or abuse – on the drag strip, Tim and his team installed a 75bhp shot of nitrous oxide. Which means this Mini monster pushes out more BHP than a BMW M5 and falls just shy of a Lamborghini Gallardo’s 560bhp.

Wow a Mini – with the same power as a Lambo.

We’re already sold, despite how the raucous ‘daily-driver’ even begins to think about putting the power down. Apparently, Tim installed a race-spec Quaife limited slip differential together with a stronger clutch and flywheel to handle the faintly absurd power output.

Surely, that much power spinning the front wheels of a Mini would simply result in a big smile before a big bang?

Thankfully, Tim’s attended to the suspension too, fitting Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, a front anti-roll bar and lower front strut brace, among others. Ireland Engineering was called in to supply brakes big enough to stop the monster Mini, and the ‘Widow’ rolls on 18-inch tasty-looking rims.

No word on performance, but we wouldn’t want to end up in a tussle with this bad boy.“It’s the last car you want to deal with on the street”, explains Tim. “It’ll ruin you.”

View images of the 500bhp 'Widow' Mini:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/slideshow/staticslideshow.html?total_image=15{RDhref+}image_start_name=fireballed_mini_{RDhref+}caption=Fireballed%20Mini%20Cooper{RDhref+}folder_name=fireballed_mini{RDhref+}slidePageType=features

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

Re: Sensational 500bhp ‘Fireballed’ Mini
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:15:48 AM »
Nice Mini John.Reminded me of Paul Newman's
VW Beetle of years ago,it had a Porshe engine in it ,
surprised a lot of people drag racing
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

Re: Sensational 500bhp ‘Fireballed’ Mini
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
I have always had a soft spot (no, not on my head) for the Mini since I sold my '62 British Racing Green, Woody, Clubman.

This one would be fun, but I still want my '62 back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle