collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 345
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Red Bull still considering engine switch  (Read 3896 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Red Bull still considering engine switch
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:02 AM »

RBR Team eye Mercedes as Renault replacement for 2010

Even at the apparent conclusion of the FIA-FOTA war, it seems Red Bull is still on the market for a new engine supplier for next season.

Earlier this year, the fact that Christian Horner openly mused not signing another customer contract with Renault was believed to be based on speculation that some carmakers may not be on next year's grid.

"Who knows what engine manufacturers are still going to be there in 2010?" the Red Bull boss said in April.

As the FOTA war ended late in June, however, part of the peace agreement was the manufacturers' commitment to F1 at least until the end of 2012.

"So in the past, if somebody was worried, maybe after Honda left or somebody else, not now," Luca di Montezemolo said. 

But it seems Red Bull Racing, whose Renault contract runs out this year, is still considering switching to Mercedes power.

Horner told the latest edition of Germany's Auto Bild: "The Mercedes engine is good, but there is no time pressure.

"Brawn demonstrated that it is possible to change engine even at a late stage," the Briton added.

© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Red Bull still considering engine switch
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:39:44 AM »
Interesting... RBR is having so much luck with the Renault, after staring at the back of Brawn's Mercedes for so long.

McLaren is having marginally more luck than Renault is though, so I guess I'd pick the Mercedes too.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:54:43 AM »
I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" school of thought. As long as they get results with the Renault I'd keep it.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »
As said, they could be worried that Renault will pull a Honda and leave them in a last minute scramble. Having RBR and STR with the same drive train would ease their design process, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
As said, they could be worried that Renault will pull a Honda and leave them in a last minute scramble. Having RBR and STR with the same drive train would ease their design process, too.

STR with Mercedes as well then?  When does the Ferrari contract run out?  Or are you suggesting that RBR go back to Ferrari?

How many teams are an engine supplier required to supply?  I thought it was three.  If Mercedes supplies McLaren, RBR and STR, where does that leave Brawn?  Would the other companies be eager to put their brand on the Brawn?

Further, I don't watch the racing and practise close enough, is there much difference between the rev-limited power plants?  I'd say that the Brawn/McLaren and RBR/Renault comparissons show that the car is far more important than the engine or driver under the current rules.

In which case, I don't see much incentive for engine companies to bother.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
How many teams are an engine supplier required to supply?

Two, except with special dispensation from the FIA. It was given to Ferrari in 2007 so that they could squeeze Cosworth out. It was given again to Merc this season.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" school of thought. As long as they get results with the Renault I'd keep it.

Lonny

me too Lonny
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle