collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 20 most despicable coaches  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: 20 most despicable coaches
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
I watch the slide show until it got to Woody Hayes. The day they fired Coach Hayes, I burned all of my Ohio State gear and have had no use for the team ever since. When OSU fans ask me about it, I remind them that it took almost a quarter of a century for the Buckeyes to win another National Championship. That one, 2002, was the only one they've ever had without Coach Hayes. Woody won 9 (1954, 57, 61, 68, 69, 70, 73, 74, 75).
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
I watch the slide show until it got to Woody Hayes. The day they fired Coach Hayes, I burned all of my Ohio State gear and have had no use for the team ever since. When OSU fans ask me about it, I remind them that it took almost a quarter of a century for the Buckeyes to win another National Championship. That one, 2002, was the only one they've ever had without Coach Hayes. Woody won 9 (1954, 57, 61, 68, 69, 70, 73, 74, 75).

Results aren't everything, especially when dealing with kids.  What if Ron Dennis hit Hamilton while he was in the junior formula?  Or Sauber hitting Kimi during his rookie year?  They wouldn't be allowed anywhere near F1 again.  (Indeed, part of the punishment for Renault must be based in Piquet being young and impressionable.)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
Woody didn't do anything that most other football coaches of the day did. I got smacked around by my football coaches in 7th grade, when I was 12. As for results, like the great coach Vince Lombardi said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
Woody didn't do anything that most other football coaches of the day did. I got smacked around by my football coaches in 7th grade, when I was 12. As for results, like the great coach Vince Lombardi said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

I can't recall any other time I saw a coach clothesline a player
on the opposing team for making a interception.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:15:35 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »
Sorry Cos, but if I found out a coach hit one of my kids, he'd be answering to me - and he'd get a much worse beating than he gave.  I've been inspired by a few coaches in my day, but the one or two that were abusive, either verbally or physically I sure wouldn't count in that list.  Winning isn't actually everything (unless it's go-karts   :D ).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »
Our football coach was a bully at heart and also
a tv Math teacher.There were 200 peope in the
math class and I still remember the reaction
he got when he said your not a man unless
you can kill a cat and walk away.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »

I do feel for people who are stuck as a product of their times.  You're right, he grew up when it was okay for a grown man to beat kids.  It's a tough life.

But times change, and if you're not going to change along with them, there isn't a place for you.  It's a tough life.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
That's what I meant. A that time, it wasn't out of the norm. High school coaches used to bounce players off of lockers in the dressing room at half time if they hadn't been playing well. (Even track coaches). I'm just saying that, by the standards of the time, he deserved better.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
Cos this happened 30 years ago and if it
was normal for the times he wouldn't have
been fired in a matter of days.Gee he slugged
a player on a nationally televised Bowl Game

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »
I still remember when that happened. It was in the Gator Bowl against Clemson. He was fired because the OSU Athletic Director at the time, Hugh Hindman, had been an Assistant Coach under Woody when he was still at Miami of Ohio. Hayes had fired him. From the time Hindman was made AD, he made it plain that Woody's days were numbered at OSU.

I've known several guys from here in town that played for Woody. They all think he was the best.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »
they was probably afraid if they didn't like him
he's slug them ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle