collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 582
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The Delta Wing  (Read 5590 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: The Delta Wing
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 04:49:58 PM »
in looking at these odd cars, we have to look back and wonder what it was like to see a REAR engined car, or the first cars with aero and ground effects for the first time.

The 'modern' open wheel car design with rear engine and aerodynamic designs has only been used for 40 out of 100 years.

(Although is that Delta an 'open wheel'!?)

The difference as far as I'm concerned is the previous big milestones, eg rear engines, ground effect etc., were all brought to the party by individual teams and they stood of fell on their own merits. This more natural evolution, even when it is major, takes the whole sport along where as Indy cars are seeking a revolutionary change which is trying to impose change.

The fear for Indy and any fans must be that radical change may kill the patient whilst seeking a perhaps unecessary cure.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 05:01:58 PM »
I think we also need to keep in mind that most cars, be they racing or street, tend to get "toned down" considerably between concept and production. One purpose of releasing these radical designs might be to stir up more awareness of the IRL. That certainly has happened here.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 01:00:24 AM »
Oh Jeri, you are too young. When I was a boy I got a book from the library that had a picture of the Miller-Gulf cars of the '30s. http://indymotorspeedway.com/500d-40.htm. That was the first MID engined car I ever saw. The first one I saw in person was the 1963 Lotus-Ford Indy car. Compared to the Roadsters of the day, it looked small and fragile. Ford was impressed enough to sink money into the 4 cam small block , which won in a Lotus 38 chassis in 1965. It looked modern and sophisticated, and very fast. The first ground effects car was the Lotus 78, though truly it was a wing car. The tops of the sidepods were inverted wing profiles. The first one I saw was the Lotus 79 at the US GP. It looked just about perfect to me. Still does.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 12:47:46 PM »
When I was young, I remember seeing pictures of the Porsche-designed Auto Union GP cars of the 30's. Still, it took John Cooper and Colin Chapman to make the modern mid-engine design a reality.

One of the biggest things missing from Indy in the past couple of decades has been innovation. Hopefully, these new designs will bring back the excitement that cars like the original Cooper-Climax, Lotus-Ford & STP Turbines did back in the 60's.

Prior to the Miller-Gulf, Harry miller fielded a string of front wheel drive Indy cars. Here's a site you might enjoy, Lonny.

http://www.milleroffy.com/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »
When I was young, I remember seeing pictures of the Porsche-designed Auto Union GP cars of the 30's. Still, it took John Cooper and Colin Chapman to make the modern mid-engine design a reality.

One of the biggest things missing from Indy in the past couple of decades has been innovation. Hopefully, these new designs will bring back the excitement that cars like the original Cooper-Climax, Lotus-Ford & STP Turbines did back in the 60's.

Prior to the Miller-Gulf, Harry miller fielded a string of front wheel drive Indy cars. Here's a site you might enjoy, Lonny.

http://www.milleroffy.com/

The problem is that the current formulae are so heavily regulated that there isn't really room for innovation.  Even the double diffuser was hardly an innovation, but a mere loophole that allowed older designs.  IRL is basically a spec series, which makes it much more difficult to innovate.

I wish they would just take the wraps off of F1.  I know they have trouble bringing in teams and advertisers, but would Toyota or Honda be more interested if they could enter something truly unique?  Would Ford be interested in creating the best engine? 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 06:45:53 PM »
Nice site Cossie! I have been to the Indy museum where they have several Millers on display. The workmanship on those cars is amazing. If you ever have a chance to visit the Speedway Museum, be sure to go upstairs to the photo archives.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
I agree, Jeri. Take engines, for example. If Ferrari wants a V-12, Cosworth a V-8 and Porsche a boxer 6, let them. Just specify a displacement and let fly! The same with chassis, suspension aero, etc.

I've been there, Lonny, and I loved it! In fact, it would be hard to find a square foot of The Speedway I haven't managed to get into!  ;)
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle