collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 557
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Virgin Racing hits hydraulic problems  (Read 1953 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Virgin Racing hits hydraulic problems
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »

So Virgin are finding out just how tough the baptism of fire can be in F1, lets hope they can avoid any more issues this week.

Virgin Racing team started it's second full test with the VR-01 at Jerez, after an eventual successful conclusion to its testing debut here last week, the team experienced more of the rough than the smooth today when an elusive hydraulics problem proved hard to pin down.

After dodging the wet running that is starting to dominate pre-season testing, Virgin Racing was forced to spend the afternoon in diagnostic mode conducting a series of out-laps to try to flush out the root cause through the hydraulic system. As a result, the team completed just 10 laps of the 4.5km circuit and were unable to set a representative lap time.

Virgin Racing's technical directory Nick Wirth commented: "We have experienced a sequence of hydraulic problems which were tricky to diagnose on a new car. This caused us to suffer long and frustrating periods confined to the garage and when we did venture out on track it was purely to conduct a series of exploratory out-laps to try to understand if we had cured the problem. We eventually discovered the real issue, albeit rather late in the day.

"Nonetheless, having fully identified the problem, we can fix it tonight and look forward to what we hope will be a more constructive day of running for Timo (Glock) and the team tomorrow."

gpupdate.net, today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

Re: Virgin Racing hits hydraulic problems
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
Don't tell me they design the hydraulics in the computer too...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »
I think they did...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »
I think they are slowly getting their problems sorted.  I really do not want to see any of the new teams that make it to the grid embarrassing themselves.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
I think they are slowly getting their problems sorted.  I really do not want to see any of the new teams that make it to the grid embarrassing themselves.

Certainly USGP and Campos can expect to have the same teething problems as Virgin and Lotus are having.  They're not leaving any time to fix them.

Does anyone think it would be unreasonable for the FIA to have a mandatory test session, and anyone who can't complete it, can't compete?  It would ensure that teams have a supply of spare parts, and that they've sorted out their suppliers.  It would stop embarassing cars from showing up at the first race, and it would set a hard and fast deadline for teams to have their cars ready. 

Offline judy

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
I think it is a good idea to have mandatory test session by setting a minimum number of days (perhaps somewhere around 3 - 5 days minimum would be reasonable). This would allow the teams to overcome and rectify some teething problems during the test session.

In the past, there were cases involving some teams skipping all the pre-season testing sessions, giving the excuse of financial constrainst which is totally unacceptable. If I am not mistaken, Spyker did that about 3 years ago.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
With these new team problems it looks
like the GG dnf's are going to increase
this year
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
With these new team problems it looks
like the GG dnf's are going to increase
this year

We might need an over/under on the number of cars that even make the grid...

FW14B

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 06:15:23 PM »
Worried by the number of failures Williams have had so far, that is going to add to the GG DNF column!!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 09:42:49 PM »
In the past, there were cases involving some teams skipping all the pre-season testing sessions, giving the excuse of financial constrainst which is totally unacceptable. If I am not mistaken, Spyker did that about 3 years ago. {judy - 4 posts ago}

Spyker did do three weeks of pre-season testing (totalling 6557 km of mileage, which was the least of any team), though in that era the Silverstone team routinely missed the pre-Christmas testing. Force India originally planned to miss all the pre-season testing last year (due to time rather than money) but some rapid work from the factory staff bought it three weeks of testing.

I wonder if you were thinking of Super Aguri, judy - they missed all the 2008 pre-season testing for lack of money... ...and then disappeared between the fourth and fifth races of the season.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:44:51 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline judy

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:48:17 AM »
Alianora, I think you are right! It is Super Aguri, not Spyker who missed all the pre-season testing.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
For some reason, this reminds me of an old story from Sports Endurance racing. A German manufacturer, who prided itself on its engines, said that they cut a test session short because of an electrical problem. When a reporter asked their British driver, he said, "Absolutely an electrical problem! When the con rod came out through the side of the engine, it knocked the alternator off."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle