collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 211
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11291 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso ...BBC Sport  (Read 1774 times)

markb

Alonso ...BBC Sport
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8584794.stm

Article from BBC Sport :  :nono: Alonso and his new Ferrari boss have suggested we wait for a few races to re-assess impact of new rules.

Would he (Alonso) have said that if he didn't come first I wonder?....YOU decide!

Offline Jericoke

Re: Alonso ...BBC Sport
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:50:52 PM »
Fundamentally... he's right.

No set of rules is going to make every single race super exciting.  The nature of motorsport is that if you qualify a car first, it's going to be in front, and faster than anyone else.  If the cars are designed right, there just isn't going to be much passing.  Rule changes mean learning and adapting. 

The teams have had one go at the new rules, and now it's time for them to try something else.  One of two things will happen:  they will work, and beat Ferrari, or they won't, and something interesting will happen in places 3 through 8. 

markb

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
If he's fundamentaly right, then why is everyone, including myself and quite a few members of this Forum, debating what could be done to make races more exciting? 

Granted that we have only witnessed one race, but the prospect of future races changing for the better, apart from the smaller circuits, look pretty low!....unless of course, one is happy to return to the days when one or perhaps two team dominate the season, which I for one, is against.  All I wish for is good, fair and competitive racing.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »
If he's fundamentaly right, then why is everyone, including myself and quite a few members of this Forum, debating what could be done to make races more exciting? 

Granted that we have only witnessed one race, but the prospect of future races changing for the better, apart from the smaller circuits, look pretty low!....unless of course, one is happy to return to the days when one or perhaps two team dominate the season, which I for one, is against.  All I wish for is good, fair and competitive racing.

If you can name a season that didn't have one dull race, you're a greater fan than I am.  Further, most F1 seasons are dominated by a single team, often a single driver.  The only reason why they weren't complete runaways in the past was due to reliability, which has been mostly solved.  (Indeed, wait for later this season when teams are using engines and gearboxes that have prayer as lubricant.)

While I agree that fewer pitstops takes the strategy out of the sport, up until last season people would complain that all the passing takes place in the pits, rather than the track.  Well, now the passing isn't going to take place in the pits, wish granted.

I also agree something needs to be done to make the cars passable on track.  NASCAR and IRL have both found aerodynamic solutions to the problem.  Hopefully FIA can find something too. 

Until then, why not let the best minds in motorsport try to solve the current rules?

(For the record, I believe the time to panic is the start of the European Season)

markb

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »
I wasn't saying that there was never a season without a dull race/s, and I am not an expert by any means, but merely debating what I am reading in the press. 

We all ( I presume) want entertaining races, and not a return to the era when a certain Mr.Schumacher dominated the sport,,,yawn yawn yawn.

You concluded by saying that we should let the best minds in motorsport try to solve the current rules........GRANTED, if only the FIA would just let that happen, there will be a few happier people around in F1!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
Melbourne is a much better track than Bahrain, so we'll see what happens there. Frankly, I don't hold out much hope for the current rules. In one action, the FIA removed one of the more interesting variables (fuel strategies) while making the cars less responsive. A loose-loose proposition.

Until then, why not let the best minds in motorsport try to solve the current rules?

I thought that we ARE the best minds in motorsport!  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

markb

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
Well, one wonders who the minds are sometimes!

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:06:25 PM »
Melbourne is a much better track than Bahrain, so we'll see what happens there. Frankly, I don't hold out much hope for the current rules. In one action, the FIA removed one of the more interesting variables (fuel strategies) while making the cars less responsive. A loose-loose proposition.

We are the best minds in Motor Sports, as we happen to be the Fans.

The Teams are at fault also, for agreeing to the new regulations. It is now down to the big Bosses at the FIA to sort this out. We can argue till kingdom come, as us the
fans can only hope and pray that this is sorted out ASAP.
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »

The Teams are at fault also, for agreeing to the new regulations. It is now down to the big Bosses at the FIA to sort this out. We can argue till kingdom come, as us the

How can the teams be at fault Chris, :nono: there is no major sport on the planet where the individual teams or competitors make the regulations. The teams are competing with each other and as such can't usually even agree at what time a race should start let alone anything else.

The commercial rights holder in reality is the only true fans champion since without us they make no money. Bernie knows there is a problem and is desperately hoping things will get better, if not expect a fire to be lit by him under Todt's ass before the European races.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »

How can the teams be at fault Chris, :nono: there is no major sport on the planet where the individual teams or competitors make the regulations. The teams are competing with each other and as such can't usually even agree at what time a race should start let alone anything else.

The commercial rights holder in reality is the only true fans champion since without us they make no money. Bernie knows there is a problem and is desperately hoping things will get better, if not expect a fire to be lit by him under Todt's ass before the European races.

All I was trying to point out was that all teams were consulted on the new rules and regulations, and they all agreed.
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »

All I was trying to point out was that all teams were consulted on the new rules and regulations, and they all agreed.

I think you'll find they were asked to sign up to the new rules with their entry, there's a big difference.

They got changes to some of the proposed rules about budgets but only after threatening armagedden.  :crazy:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »

I think you'll find they were asked to sign up to the new rules with their entry, there's a big difference.

They got changes to some of the proposed rules about budgets but only after threatening armagedden.  :crazy:

When they signed they knew exactly what they were going in for. As for the threatening bit that you mention in your post, I am sure that they must have been advised Legally.

You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle