collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 555
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Outboard mirrors to be banned from Chinese GP  (Read 3760 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Outboard mirrors to be banned from Chinese GP
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:44 AM »

I just wonder if this will slow up the Red bulls, and Ferrari to a lesser extent, as the mirror assemblies are so integrated into the areodynamic bodywork?

By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer Autosport, Thursday, April 1st 2010.

Outboard mirrors are to be banned from Formula 1 with effect from the Chinese Grand Prix in two weeks' time, AUTOSPORT has learned, following concerns over poor visibility from sidepod-mounted mirrors creating a safety issue.

Several teams have mounted their mirrors on the sidepods of their cars for aerodynamic reasons, with Ferrari and Red Bull Racing's mirror positioning the most dramatic. But from Shanghai onwards, the mirrors will have to be fitted on the cockpit sides on safety grounds.

Drivers had said in Melbourne last weekend that they would be speaking to the FIA about the mirror problem. Several issues of accidental blocking in practice were put down to poor rear visibility.

"Everyone has got a problem with mirrors," said Sauber's Pedro de la Rosa in Australia. "The reality is that the mirrors on the sidepods, they give you very small vision of what is happening behind and they vibrate a lot so you see very little.

"So if you don't have a lot of information coming from the radio, then you have a problem. You can see when you have a car straight behind okay, but when it is two seconds behind you have no idea where it is. "Everyone has the same problem, but since the mirrors have gone outboard this is a problem - as they are aerodynamic devices now."

But Ferrari's Felipe Massa said he was quite happy with his team's mirror design. "I have no problem with my visibility," he insisted. "So, if it is the same I prefer to keep what I have, but we will see how it is going to be. I hope we don't lose anything moving the mirrors from one side to the other."

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Outboard mirrors to be banned from Chinese GP
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:03:06 AM »
It sounds like a good idea. The current mounting of the mirrors can't be much use for their intended purpose.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:53:13 AM »
It is a good idea but this is surely something that could have been dealt with before the season began so that teams do not need to invest in new mirrors and mountings etc?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
Make it the Spanish Grand Prix. Apparently some teams have complained about only getting two weeks to change (Hispania has a point, Ferrari and Red Bull... ...possibly less so).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
I have always had a problem with changing the rules in mid season. Either the stalks should have banned before the season started or they should be banned after it ends.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
I watched practice one last night. Many of the cars had the mirrors move already, but the old "aero" mounts were still on the cars.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »
What about rearview cameras like on current road cars (or even racing games)?  Put a couple of monitors right in the cockpit.  Probably less total weight than the current mirror system.

markb

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
What about rearview cameras like on current road cars (or even racing games)?  Put a couple of monitors right in the cockpit.  Probably less total weight than the current mirror system.

Not sure I (or the FIA for that matter) will agree with that suggestion TBO.  Life in F1 is too complicated already, let's face it, we are talking about wing mirrors here right?   

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »

No kidding - even a sensor system and forget the mirrors (let the teams tell the drivers what's way behind, and let sensors tell the drivers what's in their blind spots - maybe a light system) would be better than teeny, tiny mirrors that shake like crazy.  Let technology rule.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

markb

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 09:35:38 PM »
Glad somebody is on the same wavelength....

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 08:09:11 AM »
This is not not going to happen till Barcelona as the logistics of the modifications is not practical on fly away races.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle